Did you know there's a review section here?

Crothian

First Post
jollyninja said:

on that we can agree then, my review will also not be a favorable one. i'm going to try and do a few more, some of products that i do not feel quite so strongly about and as psion says: "before doing a review READ THE FAQ"

Like I said I hope to get all the products I own reviewed. That way I can get the good along with the bad. Hopefully as I do more my style will improve and become even more helpful to people. That's one of the reasons I started this thread. I hope to get some other comments from people so I can make the reviews more useful. If I take the time to do them, I might as well do them the best I can. I guess that's another reason to start with the books I know the best and are the most well known.

jollyninja

First Post
well i allready broke my no WotC products rule, i just did one for faiths and pantheons. it was sitting beside my computer so i figured what the heck, why not. it's only the fourth review for the product and none of the staff reviewers have done it yet. it's at:

http://www.enworld.org/d20reviews.asp?sub=yes&where=active&reviewer=jollyninja&product=DANP

if anyone cares to read it. i'll probably write some more at work tomorrow and post them after i get home.

yeebarr

First Post
Don't have much time (today) to read your reviews completely Crothian but I gave them a quick skim.

Overall your gut feelings on each book were pretty close to mine (except "Song and Silence" - oh how I wish this book was more than it was!) so that gives me a good indication that you'll be worth reading to help me decide on any future purchases (that, and the fact that you were nice to me on my very first post here...see how a little kindness goes a long way? :) )

It would be nice if you did add a few more "teasers" though. Obviously not necessarily as detailed as Psion - but if you could describe an interesting game mechanic or some of the benefits from quirky feats that would be nice.

Good start though!

Crothian

First Post
yeebarr said:
It would be nice if you did add a few more "teasers" though. Obviously not necessarily as detailed as Psion - but if you could describe an interesting game mechanic or some of the benefits from quirky feats that would be nice.

Good start though!

Well, thanks you. I had a feeling I needed to do a little more detail on these. Tonight I'll try that with the remaining two class books by Wizards.

Psion

Adventurer
Glyfair said:
Of course, this won't help with those reviewers who post only one or two reviews. That's why I'm glad Morrus instituted the "staff reviewer" position. They are well thought out and described reviews and each reviewer has enough reviews that you can get a feel for their quirks.

Intersting. How would you categorize each of our "quirks"? :)

Incidentally, I agree totally. Reveiwers have different tastes, values and opinions, especially when you boil it down to a number at the end. But I try to let you see my analyses in enough depth that you can tell if you will like a product and see its foibles even if you don't agree with my conclusion.

Last edited:

Storminator

First Post
Psion said:

Intersting. How would you categorize each of our "quirks"? :)

Incidentally, I agree totally. Reveiwers have different tastes, values and opinions, especially when you boil it down to a number at the end. But I try to let you see my analyses in enough depth that you can tell if you will like a product and see its foibles even if you don't agree with my conclusion.

Here's a quick one: you like dungeon crawls a lot more than Simon. So if an adventure is a DC, he'll pan it, and you'll review it.

Just an example. I've also noticed that you don't do that many WotC reviews. I imagine they don't need to hand out free review copies, so you can only review the work of theirs that you buy (frex, no FRCS).

And why hasn't anyone reviewed the Book of Challenges?

PS

Crothian

First Post
Storminator said:

And why hasn't anyone reviewed the Book of Challenges?

PS

If it helps, it's on my list. I can do it after the last two Wizard Class books if you really want to see a review of.

Psion

Adventurer
Storminator said:
Just an example. I've also noticed that you don't do that many WotC reviews. I imagine they don't need to hand out free review copies, so you can only review the work of theirs that you buy (frex, no FRCS).

Just so. I have FRCS, but generally, I give complimentary review products priority.

Further, as many products I get complimentary are by virtue of ENWorld, that leaves me the ones I purchased myself to review at d20Weekly (frex, you will find my ELH and Deities & Demigods reviews over there.)

I am trying to work in a rotation so I can slip in some reviews of products I bought here now and then.

Storminator

First Post
Crothian said:

If it helps, it's on my list. I can do it after the last two Wizard Class books if you really want to see a review of.

That'd be great! I always take the kids to the FLGS, and that sort of cramps my ability to sit and check out the products. I'm leary of buying something I've heard nothing about.

PS

Crothian

First Post
Storminator said:

That'd be great! I always take the kids to the FLGS, and that sort of cramps my ability to sit and check out the products. I'm leary of buying something I've heard nothing about.

PS

Okay, the two class books I'm doing tonight. I want to get my feet wet with the simple ones first. I should be able to get to the Book of Challenges tommorrow.

Remove ads