Warlock, which pact is best?

Wycen

Explorer
We gathered today to discuss character creation for one of my game groups and I was looking at the warlock pacts. The star pact mentions Int being an important attribute.

However, when I looked at the 1st level powers, none of them referenced Int as their stat. I only quicked skimmed through the 2nd level powers, but don't remember seeing any.

So what gives? I know, "best" is a relative term but what are you opinions on which pact is best?

corwyn77

Adventurer
None of them reference int? Every single Warlock Encounter power has a secondary effect which benefits from high int, provided you are of the right pact.

Khime

Explorer
That's why it says that Intelligence provides special bonuses to many of your powers, rather than saying Intelligence is the most important attribute. If you're a Deceptive build, your damage comes from Charisma. If you're a Scourge build, your damage comes from Constitution. In either case, Int isn't for damage, it's for special bonuses, like sliding the target further, increasing the Will/Attack roll penalty of an attack, or granting more temporary hit points, and that's all just in the 1st level powers.

The Warlock Pacts are more character vision than anything.

If you prefer mobility or charming the "best" than you might think Fey pact is the best.

If you prefer dealing big dmg and tanking targets, than you might like Infernal pact.

If you prefer fearing the crap outa people you might like Star pact.

Then again, it's quite probable you like the class for many number of reasons. Their is no best one. Their might be optimal ones, but that requires a vision first.

Shieldhaven

Explorer
I'm playing and really enjoying a Star Pact warlock right now. I'm only 2nd level, but my best strategy so far seems to be throwing out my curse on as many people as possible, biding my time and doing a bit of damage while they die, and then once they start dying, opening up with my encounter or daily powers. The reason I want to wait is that Improved Fate of the Void sets up a positive feedback loop of attack bonuses. This makes my life a heck of a lot easier.

Splitting stats between Constitution, Charisma, and Intelligence is a real PITA, though.

Haven

burntgerbil

Explorer
Haven - when I planned my starlock, I chose either Cha or Con and took only powers that related to those. You can take out-of pact powers for your prime stat with no penalty and often times, I found this was better than the split con/cha starlock I had in mind.

Gloombunny

First Post
Haven - when I planned my starlock, I chose either Cha or Con and took only powers that related to those. You can take out-of pact powers for your prime stat with no penalty and often times, I found this was better than the split con/cha starlock I had in mind.
You can take out-of-pact dailies at no penalty, but taking out-of-pact encounter powers means you don't get the extra Int-based benefit. Which is sort of annoying since the point of investing in only one of Con or Cha is to have a higher Int... but it might be the best way anyway since you need that high Int for your AC. I dunno. MAD is annoying.

Krensus

First Post
I love Star Pact. Most of the powers are fear related, so as a Tiefling you can take Hellfire Blood and get +1 to hit/damage. In addition, the +1 to hit per cursed mob killed is incredibly good.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases