SORD for Players

merchantsteve

Explorer
Speeding Character Generation
One of the great things about SORD is that it pulls together lots of information about combat that is spread all over the place. A few of things of interest to players would be the Base Attack Bonus Progressions, Saving Throw Progressions, Armor, Weapons, Encumbrance and more. Quite frankly, the core rules sets spread that information everywhere. Imagine how much easier character generation can be if you only have to flip through about 5 or so pages, with each page clearly labeled and free from fluff text. I reckon, you can shave an hour off of character creation without breaking a sweat.

Freeing Character Concept
Because SORD clearly identifies the mechanics of combat and all its nuances, you can think about how your new persona may approach a battle. For once, the Trip attack may be an excellent choice, because the rules have been put into their place and make sense. On the other hand, the normally amiable Barbarian may consider the Bull Rush to be his trademark maneuver. Because everything needed to run the rule is found on the same page, such options, which were daunting before, are now a matter of personal choice rather than an expedient solution to a difficult rule. Think about it, if rules don't get in the way, what is to stop you from being a Two-Weapon wielding Ranger who likes to grapple creatures and skewer humanoids? The character concept can emerge in ways not seen before.

Helping the Game Master
If your Game Master is always floundering in his rulebook, you can greatly help him by asking permission to find the rule for him. If he already delegates rule lookups to players, you can be the first in line. Of course, you must always be respectful and humble about offering such help, because the Game Master has feelings too - and he must appear to be in a leadership role as far as the game is concerned. But, with his permission, you can save vast amounts of time using SORD to obtain the information. All the data is taken from the SRD, so if a question arises, the consultation will reveal the same thing. This will improve the confidence that SORD is a useful reference and ultimately help the game move faster.

There's my first few words. How else could SORD be of benefit to players?

merchantsteve

Explorer
I am working on it right now. I am also nursing a broken leg so my working time is somewhat shortened. I hope to have it done around Dec 15th, but don't hold me to it!

Remove ads