We need a unified optional game system or this hobby's gonna die

rkwoodard

First Post
Marketing $$$

There are tons of systems out there. Some are great. But the problem is that they don't have the $$$ to market the game. That would take some serious $$.

I think one of R. Dancy's predictions that falls under the Not Yet catagory is that a major toy competitor to Hasbro will enter the RPG market. (Please correct me if I am wrong).

It will take something along those lines to really impact the state of the hobby.

RK

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Let's see. Other RPG systems that sell reasonably well for us:
  • World of Darkness
  • Call of Cthulhu
  • Gurps
  • Warhammer RPG
  • Dark Heresy (40K rpg)
  • Savage Worlds
  • Traveller
  • Hero System (Champions)
  • Ars Magica
  • Legend of the Five Rings rpg
  • Exhaulted
  • Rifts
  • Eden Studio's Unisystem
to name a few

Crothian

First Post
The RPG industry doesn't need new games or new systems. every year we get a dozen or so new ones. What it needs is a new hit. Something that gets noticed by those people outside the Industry.

rkwoodard

First Post
so we agree?

The RPG industry doesn't need new games or new systems. every year we get a dozen or so new ones. What it needs is a new hit. Something that gets noticed by those people outside the Industry.

So we agree or partially agree that it is a marketing issue? I agree that the hobby (or industry) could really use a Hit game.

I would love to see a new entry level rpg released by someone with deep enough pockets to advertise it, and get it on the shelves of toy stores.

Hasbro could do it with an entry level RPG version of Heroscape.

RK

Insight

Adventurer
So we agree or partially agree that it is a marketing issue? I agree that the hobby (or industry) could really use a Hit game.

I would love to see a new entry level rpg released by someone with deep enough pockets to advertise it, and get it on the shelves of toy stores.

Hasbro could do it with an entry level RPG version of Heroscape.

RK

LOL Hasbro would be competing with itself!

rkwoodard

First Post
not at all

LOL Hasbro would be competing with itself!

Not at all, not anymore than Heroscape vs. DDM (which are both under the WOTC Flagship now).

And 4ed is not an entry-level game, nor will it ever be on the ToysRUS store shelves (the beginners game coming out might, but I doubt it).

RK

Emirikol

Adventurer
We have always had plenty of other systems.

Herein lies the problem. Too many other systems. We need 3rd parties to come together and have the equivalent of the d20 system and support it TOGETHER, but without all the stupid licensing gimmicks. Then lazy D&D players like me don't have to waste money on "neat games" that will never have enough players in my area to ever bother with.

Until then, you're just going to have 15 other systems all with a "few" players.

What is it? Is it 3rd party ego's that prevents something like this from happening? Seriously, what prevents them from getting together and doing the ANTId20 system and supporting it themselves with their games?

jh

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
Herein lies the problem. Too many other systems. We need 3rd parties to come together and have the equivalent of the d20 system and support it TOGETHER, but without all the stupid licensing gimmicks. Then lazy D&D players like me don't have to waste money on "neat games" that will never have enough players in my area to ever bother with.

Until then, you're just going to have 15 other systems all with a "few" players.

I don't understand. I have a group of players. A couple groups of them, actually. They're all willing to try anything I throw at them. Yeah, we ofen stick to D&D, but not because other games aren't as hyped.

I'd rather have a dominating brand like D&D and bunch of other choices than 2dominating brand choices.

Remove ads