The fate of the Advanced Player's Guide

Clark Peterson posted the following over at the Necro boards:

Here another update for you.

I have released the text of the Advanced Player's Guide back to Ari for him to do with it what he will.

Why would I do this? Why not just hang on and see what happens? A couple reasons.

First, Ari did me a huge favor writing the APG. He did it on my word and a handshake that we were in for 4E. He and I wanted to work together and we thought it would be fun. He wrote an awesome product. The fans deserve to see it. And, unlike me, Ari is a designer for a living. He deserves to be able to publish it. So since he did what I consider a huge act of faith and trust and loyalty to me by writing it before 4E or the GSL were out, I wanted to return that favor to him. Could things still work out with Wizards and Necro? I sure hope so and I even think they will. But it wont be in the next month I dont think. It will take some time. And the fans deserve to have the APG, and Ari deserves his moment in the spotlight for it. And, frankly, I think it is the right thing to do. Ari is a great guy and I want to do right by him.

I dont know what his plans are, but as of this morning he and I talked and I told him to have at it and get it out there. It is truly a great product. In fact, in my home campaign two PCs are using classes from the book. It is good, good stuff.

Ari, you are a great guy and an amazing designer. I'm sorry we werent able to get this done together. I can't wait for the fans to see it and I really hope you hit a total homerun with this.

So to all the fans awaiting the APG, my guess is that you will get it. It just wont be from Necro. (and dont ask who, I dont know. That is up to Ari. I have no control over that).

Clark

I mention this, first of all, so I can thank Clark for being such a class act. :) I can only hope that he does get things worked out with WotC so I can do other 4E projects for him in the future.

Second, because I know a number of people have been wondering about the fate of this book, I wanted to give all of you an update. I'm doing everything I can to find a new home for this manuscript (and am already talking to a couple of names you might recognize, though it's all very preliminary), and as soon as I know more, I'll let you know.

Clark Peterson posted the following over at the Necro boards:

I mention this, first of all, so I can thank Clark for being such a class act. :) I can only hope that he does get things worked out with WotC so I can do other 4E projects for him in the future.

Second, because I know a number of people have been wondering about the fate of this book, I wanted to give all of you an update. I'm doing everything I can to find a new home for this manuscript (and am already talking to a couple of names you might recognize, though it's all very preliminary), and as soon as I know more, I'll let you know.
Thanks for the information!
And Thanks to Clarke for doing this.

So, Ari, I hope you'll find a way to get this out. Of course, finding a new partner to publish it might take more time then I'd like. But thank to yours and Clarks enthusiasmn, I really wanted to get my hands on the APG and was looking forward to it since it was announced. So, let's hope you get it done before the PHB II hits the streets...

How about a PDF release? I suppose since it is now "yours", and you usually don't publish stuff on your own, all those short-comings of the GSL can't really hurt you. Of course, I'd prefer a printed version...

Crothian

First Post
Ari, get it published I'll be buying a copy. I'm sure knowing that will help you find a publisher!! Best of luck with this!! :D

RandomCitizenX

First Post
This book was honestly the only product I was interested in from Necro, so I am very glad to hear that it has a chance of seeing the light of day.

The Lost Muse

First Post
Two points:

1) I've been eagerly anticipating the APG since it was announced. Please publish it, and know that it'll sell at least one (and probably several) copies to my group.

2) That's a very classy move by Clark, and I hope necromancer and wotc can get their stuff together.

evilref

Explorer

That's absolutely great of him, particularly given how often a manuscript will get buried rather than let it be published by another company.

Also great news, I was very much looking forward to this so I hope it sees the light of day.

Rechan

Adventurer
I just want to say that Clark is a real stand-up guy. He is clearly a friend and a gamer first, and a businessman second. I wish there were more classy, reasonable, and enthusiastic people like that in business, not just in the gaming community.

I tip my hat to you, Mr Orcus.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases