Facilitators: reopening nominations.

Graf

Explorer
Seconding the appreciation to garyh for setting up a new thread.

I accept, of course.
I'll get the other thread pointed in the right direction (i.e. over here)

I can't find a link right now, but stonegod's said he doesn't want to judge and would prefer to provide "technical advice". Maybe that includes facilitation but...

Somebody needs to nominate Goblin King. His new setting proposal is hot beans. (do I even speak english some days I'm really not sure...)

So I do.
I'll get a proper nomination post up soon.

covaithe

Explorer
Hi, Graf. Good to see you back. I went ahead and added GK to the nominations in anticipation of your forthcoming real nomination, since I had some time.

Graf

Explorer
c, thanks and thanks!
[d]--[/d]
I nominate Goblin King noting he

*In addition to the strengths it offers in its own right Zheen works aggressively working to include ideas and opinions that had been excluded by the other setting proposal. He's a uniter, not a divider.

The Goblin King

First Post
Thats very kind, Graf but I'm afraid I can't accept. I know myself too well and I'm far too mercurial to be put in charge of anything. Right now L4th has my undivided attention but something shiny could come along at any moment and distract me. Please don't take it personally. Its just the way I get when I see something that interests me, everything else falls to the wayside.

Graf

Explorer
No worries. I nominated you b/c I thought your previous activity demonstrated the right temperment and attitude to be a facilitator.

But I appreciate you being up front and self-critical.

I'm actuallly some what similar in temperment; I should note that the facilitator position is temporary... As soon as the setting gets set up we'll revisit the judge issue.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Just saw this (still on vacation). Thanks for the kind words covaithe (who is not even in one of my games! ;)).

I'm a bit torn. Graf's right about me not wanting to be a judge. My ENWorld time is tied to my EtCR game, LEB, and then the games where I'm a PC (in that order), and that's a lot of time. I also have to consider that the new semester starts soon and I'll have a lot of work with the two classes I've got to teach. Frankly, I don't have the time to read a bunch of the designs right now, though that might fluctuate as things settle down here.

Thus, I cannot in good faith accept. I will (like Bront and E13, all LEB/LEW (former) judges) continue to provide support/suggestions, however.

covaithe

Explorer
Thanks for considering it, stonegod. I figured it was no better than 50/50 that you'd have time to commit to this. Your input will continue to be welcome and valued.

Over in the discussion thread, we've been talking about possibly going forward with four facilitators. It's less than optimal, because it effectively requires unanimous consent: any one facilitator can block a proposal. However, I'm happy to go forward with that, with the understanding that we're looking for a fifth facilitator, so long as a single person's "no" vote isn't final: that there will be an opportunity to reopen voting on older proposals, possibly in the form of new proposals, when a fifth facilitator comes along.

There's also the question of exactly what facilitators do. When facilitators were originally proposed, I think it was in the context of a question on whether it was too early to appoint judges, since we didn't yet know how exactly what judges would be committing to. Facilitators were described as sort of temporary judges or meta-judges, people in authority not over the game itself but over the process of getting ready to start the game. Now in practice I think there's going to be at least some overlap between the facilitators and the judges, so the question may be academic.

The immediately relevant bit of the question, though, is whether or not facilitators should look at character submissions. That's certainly a part of the game, not part of the process of setting up the game, so it would blur the line between facilitator and judge a bit. On the other hand, it would contribute directly to keeping the momentum up for getting this game running, which is also an important part of why facilitators (will) exist.

Thoughts?

garyh

First Post
I think you're right about having overlap between judges and facilitators. I agree that I saw facilitators as more of a shepard for starting the game than judges, who I see more as arbiters, but I think there's room for facilitators to act as temporary judges until other volunteers step forward.

Regarding character submissions, I think givent the small crowd we have now, it shouldn't be too big a burden for facilitators to review characters. Speaking for myself, I'm willing to help out with that for now.

garyh

First Post
Officially posting interest.

And again, glad to have you aboard! Having five facilitators will really help.

So, do we need to have an official vote on accepting the facilitators (I think that was the plan), or do we get our secret decoder rings now? ;)

Remove ads