Pathfinder 1E Odyssey System - "Pathfindering" d20 Modern

Tim Gray

First Post
It'd still be interesting to see it. I guess one major issue is how much work you'd have to put in to get it to a releasable state.

damiller

Adventurer
I think it could do quite well, from the description at the top of this thread of the basics of the system, it is d20 done in a way that I can actually like.

d :D

And I might add, if were an Open System, would be one I would create "products" for.

Khairn

First Post
El-Resurrecto!

Yeah, this is back.

We had backed off this project, when I began to have my doubts about the viability of yet another d20-based system in a post-4e market.

Things with 4e don't appear to have turned out the way I (or many others) were expecting, so now I'm reconsidering.

So, what do you think -- worth reviving?

I would say yes its worth it, but with a caveat. I don't believe that a stand alone system will garner a significant market. I would have a setting (or 2) either in the works or released at the same time as the system. Thrilling Tales is obviously 1, but publishing a new setting to go with it would help with the buzz.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
I would say yes its worth it, but with a caveat. I don't believe that a stand alone system will garner a significant market. I would have a setting (or 2) either in the works or released at the same time as the system. Thrilling Tales is obviously 1, but publishing a new setting to go with it would help with the buzz.

As an alternative idea, make the setting into a standalone game using the Odyssey system. Then, of course, release a standalone version of Odyssey, but market the heck out of the standalone setting because this will give you IP to help push the rules.

edit: In reading over the first post again, the one thing I would do different is have a built-in hit points option, much like the d6 system has. You only use damage track or hit points, and you have to make that decision up front, but all products have official support for both.

Last edited:

GMSkarka

Explorer
An update: After some thought on this (and valuable input -- thanks to everyone who commented and sent emails), I've decided to greenlight the project again.

We'll be releasing a free alpha version of the rules, 100% Open for use by gamers and publishers alike.

Feel free to ask any questions, or post any comments, here.

The alpha will then be followed by setting-specific versions of the system, appearing in our THRILLING TALES 2nd Edition game, and an Odyssey version of our MARS sword-n-planet RPG, both due later this year.

Last edited:

tsadkiel

Legend
The alpha will then be followed by setting-specific versions of the system, appearing in our THRILLING TALES 2nd Edition game, and an Odyssey version of our MARS sword-n-planet RPG, both due later this year.

Any chance of an Odyssey version of Underworld? I would buy the heck out of that.

(That's GMS's game of subterrraqnean urban fantasy, not the movies with the vampires.)

Tim Gray

First Post
Isn't that the game GMS created over on RPG-Net? I always loved that concept.
Yes, the thinking for it happened in a series of columns. Unfortunately it got shortchanged by the guys who were publishing it not paying enough attention to doing a good job. It'd be nice to see it revived. Don't know whether Odyssey would be a good fit without seeing it. It'd work as a setting for Zorcerer of Zo!

Gareth, any idea on timescale for Odyssey?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases