Help Me Put Together An Adventure path

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
OK, I was just reading another thread where someone put together an adventure path with a 'cold' theme.

My campaign revolves around two main ideas. First it is and African backdrop (as far as setting, terrain and animals go). Standard DnD plays a part too ;)

I am basing it around the Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde (where there are several dungeons left from a battle with an invading demon lord). I have aligned this demon lord with apes, so I am developing several ape-like demons and features using apes as a kind of theme.

So...can anyone suggest some adventures to wind in? Or even better an adventure path for me to pick apart.

This is for 4e. We started with "Dire Spirits" a Nyambe adventure and have moved into the first part of the Slaughtergarde. There are another 2 parts to Slaughtergarde, but I want to expand this whole concept. (Ideas from those that have ran it would be great...other than the wererats of Sumberton option ;) I would prefer actual adventures rather than hooks).

Cheers and thanks, C

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
I'm guessing you dug through this thread, based on what you posted -

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=154448

But unless you are going for an Ancient Egyptian-esque/African theme, there might be very little material beyond Nyambi from which to glean.

Have you thought about just picking up some African Folktale books and allowing those stories to drive what mechanics you use? Maybe just grabbing some d20 animals books so you have that at your finger tips to lessen the busy work would help -

http://enworld.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=23326

http://enworld.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=23158

There's some stuff from Unearthed Arcana that allows you to convert some standard races and baddies to "jungle" versions -

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/UA:Jungle_Races

Hope that helps a bit! :)

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Well I'd steal outrageously... Urm, that is get inspiration from, any classic movie or book I could find.

King Solomon's Mines: adventurers in search of a lost diamond mine. Could be a launching pad. While searching for the mines they stumble across an Ape Demon temple and desecrate it, bringing the wrath of the cultists down on them. Or the mines are part of the temple and even their initial investigations (back in civilisation) bring cultists down on them. Go with cultists.
She: a lost civilisation in the jungle ruled over by an immortal Queen Goddess known only as 'She Who Must be Obeyed.' She is either being harassed by the Ape Demons or in league with them, using them to keep her people subjagated.
Tarzan. Since the apes are going to be your villains he could be a recurring bad guy. The PCs may come to hate hearing the 'OoooOOOoooOO-aaAAAhhh!' preceeding a monkey assault force from the tree tops.
King Kong. Either an island off the coast or a distant mountain range. The Kong role could either be an ordinary, everyday giant gorilla or it might be the Demon Lord itself. Either way it falls in love with one of the PCs. :D

I don't know much in way of actual African tales you could tell but look up Mali and Timbuktu if you want a bit more historical background for West African civilisations.

hope this helps.

Cheers,
Glen

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Thanks guys.
I am actually VERY familiar with Nyambe and African stuff in general. (I have another thread where I am displaying converted monsters even). I was just wondering whether anyone could suggest a cool list of adventures (or any edition).

I have a lot of old 1E African material from Dungeon and Dragon. A couple of good adventures. I was just seeing if others out there may suggest adventures I am not aware of. Or could put a list together (bearing in mind The Shattered gates of Slaughtergarde will take up much of the heroic tier - though there will still be room for many sidetreks).

But, any reply or idea is great ;) King Kong being Mu Tahn Laa is certainly food for thought ;). yeah and I think I will go and read more of the African folk lore again. Haven;t done so for a long time and it might be time to write an adventure.

C

Remove ads