PH2- The Darque Portal (B4cchus judging)

Halford

First Post
Dair just looks smug, once again his mistrustful nature had served him well - alright they had not actually put poison in the food, but they had thought about it. Dair could relate to that - sneaky.

Phoenix8008

First Post
"Master Darque. Indeed, I do know him. He is part of the reason I am so nervous about dealing with you lot. We've been out of practice for receiving new visitors for some time. He was the first in a generation or two. And he's caused enough trouble that we've got him confined in a cell currently. You see, this place is a dead end. The portal you came through only works one way. Nothing living can go through it from this end. So this place, this Haven, is what happens when you have a trickle of random adventurers and others come through over centuries of time. We are the decendants of heroes, and we are just trying to survive against the monsters that live in the other areas of this cave system. They breed faster than us, so our only defense is the artifact that makes the undead to serve us. Without that, us humanoids would have been wiped out long ago. So now you're here, and like it or not, you are part of the war for survival in this place against the monsters. So, I'll take any other questions you've got for now and we'll decide what to do with you all for now." Captain Niko finishes.

covaithe

Explorer
"What did Mister Darque do that made you put him in a cell? Can we see him? His friend Vermie wanted us to say hello. Maybe we can help. I like to help people. Do you need any help, Captain?" Periwinkle says with a smile.

ooc: The problem with Periwinkle is, I never know what's going to come out of her mouth when I start typing. :eek:

Halford

First Post
Dair glowers incredulously at the Captain,

"Let us see the Wizard." He growls.

Privately he begins to think about the pseudodragonskin gloves he will be making upon their return to the real world - because one way or another he is getting back.

Last edited:

Boddynock

First Post
"One-way? That would be ... unfortunate."

Peladus' eyes widen at the thought.

He glances around at his companions, as if assessing them as potential life-long allies. Without making it obvious, he includes the captain and his men in his scrutiny. Whatever conclusions he comes to, he wisely keeps to himself.

[sblock=OOC]Sense Motive +0 re the captain's previous speech and the soldiers' response to it.[/sblock]"You say that you create undead as servants? Where do you get the raw materials? Ah, of course, from your fallen enemies ... and, no doubt, from any of your own fallen, since they would be a resource too precious to waste in the battle against an unrelenting foe. Hmm."

The wizard pauses, pensively rubbing his jaw.

"Do you know who set up the portal in the first place? What research has been done on it? What makes you so sure it is exclusively a one-way ride?"

Then he draws himself to his full height and sternly looks the captain in the eye.

"And what options do you think you have in 'deciding what to do with us all for now'?"

For a moment the young man holds that pose, then he smiles and adds, "After all, you've admitted that you can ill afford the resources it would take to deal with us aggressively; and we have no interest in fighting you if we don't have to. Why don't we try to work together, instead?"

lukfugl

First Post
Kona'i almost puts his hand on the halfling's shoulder to calm him, but then realizes that might be a mistake given Dair's temperament. He then nods in approval after Peladus speaks. "Agreed, I think we should work together; there's no reason for us to fight against you.

"Our mission was to retrieve Master Darque. It appears there are two confinements the wizard faces. First is the polarity of the portal. That is a prison we all share. Second is imprisonment by you, Captain. If you can provide good reason for this imprisonment, I will not object. I do however propose a deal.

"If you allow us, we would like to attempt to find another exit." The monk raises his hand at the inevitable interruption from the Captain. "Hear me out. I'm certain that you've tried to locate an escape before. But we may have an advantage, through Darque and the message that he got to us."

Kona'i leans forward. "We must consult with Darque. Will you allow it, and if we find an exit, will you allow us to return with Darque? Your people would also be able to escape this hell, of course."

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
My task is with Darque. The rest is irrelevant. Your socio-political situation only has bearing insomuch as it affects that outcome.

OOC: How far was the LN stick stuck up there, Xir? ;)

Phoenix8008

First Post
OOC: By the way, P8, what was the result of that Detect Magic which Peladus cast on the staff?
[sblock=OOC]The staff itself wasn't magical, but the gem atop it was VERY magical.[/sblock]Captain's response coming in the morning. Too late tonight to think straight. Sorry.

Last edited:

Boddynock

First Post
[sblock=OOC]The staff itself wasn't magical, but the gem atop it was VERY magical.[/sblock]
[sblock=Phoenix8008]According to the spell description, how strong was the aura? In addition, can he tell (Spellcraft +7) what the school or schools of magic involved are?[/sblock][sblock=Spellcasting]Spells per day: 3/2

Spells known:
Cantrips:
All

Level 1:
Animate Rope
Burning Hands
Identify
Mage Armor
Ray of Enfeeblement
Shield

Spells prepared:
Cantrips: