New Goblin: Goblin Fleshraiser

Pennarin

Explorer
This thread exists so DanmarLOK, the guy who originally created the Goblin Fleshraiser, can see my take on his monster. Over at ENWorld we get all the pretty combat icons ;) Yippy!
The monster first appeared at WotC's forums, here. Feel free to provide feedback here or there.
Credit goes to DanmarLOK.

GOBLIN FLESHRAISER Level 3 Controller (Leader) XP 150
Small natural humanoid
Initiative +3 Senses Perception +2; low-light vision
HP 46; Bloodied 23; see also death’s door
AC 17; Fort 14, Ref 15, Will 16
Immune fear
Speed 6; see also goblin tactics
Ranged 10; +7 vs. Will; 2d6 + 1 necrotic damage, and the target slides 1 square.
:ranged: Visions of Torment (standard; at-will) Psychic
Ranged 10; +7 vs. Will; the target is assailed by visions of tormented spirits; 2d6 + 1 psychic damage, and the target is blinded (save ends).
:area: Claws of the Departed (standard; recharge :5: :6:) Necrotic
Area burst 3 within 10; +7 vs. Reflex; ghostly hands rise from the ground and grab at the target; ongoing 5 necrotic damage and creatures in the burst are immobilized (save ends both).
:ranged: Blood Sacrifice (standard; recharge :6:) Necrotic
Ranged 10; targets one allied goblin of a lower level than the goblin fleshraiser; the target dies; see also raise the fallen.
:area: Raise the Fallen (immediate reaction; after using blood sacrifice; at-will) Necrotic
Area burst 3 within 10; targets dead allied goblins; the targets become zombie rotters of Small size, which fight on the behest of the goblin fleshraiser until the end of the encounter or until the goblin fleshraiser dies, whichever comes first, after which time they turn back to corpses. The zombie rotters rise as a free action, and act after the goblin fleshraiser in the initiative order. A destroyed zombie rotter explodes, dealing 3 necrotic damage to all creatures in a close burst 1; see also death’s door.
Death’s Door (after using raise the fallen)
The goblin fleshraiser is bloodied.
Goblin Tactics (immediate reaction, when missed by a melee attack; at-will)
The goblin shifts 1 square.
Lead from the Rear (immediate interrupt, when targeted by a ranged attack; at-will)
The goblin fleshraiser can change the attack’s target to an adjacent ally of its level or lower.
Con 14 (+3) Int 19 (+0) Cha 18 (+5)

Last edited:

Syrsuro

First Post
I don't much like the Death's Door power that kills the goblin after the encounter ends. It seems cheesy to give a limitation like that to a creature that the PCs are going to face.

If it survives, the PCs didn't - so that fact that it dies is irrelevant and if it dies during the encounter, there was no real penalty.

In contrast, the bloodied penalty matters.

Frankly, I'd just leave the dying part off, and if you think that makes it imbalanced, I'd say that just proves my point.

Now if they had to sacrifice an ally to raise the fallen, that would be a different matter. Kill off one ally to raise several as zombies? Sounds like fun.

Carl

chronoplasm

First Post
Now if they had to sacrifice an ally to raise the fallen, that would be a different matter. Kill off one ally to raise several as zombies? Sounds like fun.

I like that idea. I like that idea a lot.

What I don't like is that the zombies die after five minutes. That seems kind of silly to me. If the zombies were burning I could see it.
Now we need a goblin that lights corpses on fire and throws them.

Pennarin

Explorer
The dying part comes from the initial idea for the goblin, which was it sacrifices part or all of itself to create an effect beyond the range of its level.
I don't see why he really should have to die, though.

As for zombies dying after 5 minutes, that's taken verbatim from the Ashgaunt's Wake the Dead power, which works similarly (Dragon Magazine 364, 64). The Ashgaunt is a level 7 monster.
Now we need a goblin that lights corpses on fire and throws them.
Lol, I feel ya.

How could the zombies be made better? Perhaps a necrotic green fire or mist (aura 1) that comes off of them.

chronoplasm

First Post
True, but Goblins shouldn't just fall over dead out of the blue. That's such a waste of good comic relief.
The rapid expansion of gases caused by decomposition should cause the the goblin zombies to bloat up like balloons and explode. It doesn't have to do a lot of damage, it just has to spread little bits of undead goblin all over the place.

Pennarin

Explorer
What about this:

:ranged: Blood Sacrifice (standard; recharge :6:) Charm, Necrotic
Ranged 10; targets one allied goblin of a lower level than the goblin fleshraiser; the target dies; see also raise the fallen.

:area: Raise the Fallen (immediate reaction; after using blood sacrifice; at-will) Necrotic
Area burst 3 within 10; targets dead allied goblins; the targets become zombie rotters of Small size, which fight on the behest of the goblin fleshraiser until the end of the encounter or until the goblin fleshraiser dies, whichever comes first, after which time they turn back to corpses. The zombie rotters rise as a free action, and act after the goblin fleshraiser in the initiative order. A destroyed zombie rotter explodes, dealing 3 necrotic damage to all creatures in a close burst 1; see also death’s door.

Last edited:

DanmarLOK

First Post
Heh, I love that idea. The zomblins 'die' so fast because they're rotting at an incredible rate which is genreating the power they need to move around so the internal gases build and the zomblin explodes for say close burst 1; +5 vs Reflex; 3 points of damage. All creatures in burst take damage.

True, but Goblins shouldn't just fall over dead out of the blue. That's such a waste of good comic relief.
The rapid expansion of gases caused by decomposition should cause the the goblin zombies to bloat up like balloons and explode. It doesn't have to do a lot of damage, it just has to spread little bits of undead goblin all over the place.

Syrsuro

First Post
What about this:

:ranged: Blood Sacrifice (standard; recharge :6:) Charm, Necrotic

This I like. It will end up somewhere - either attached to the goblin above or perhaps adapted for some other evil leader....

Carl

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases