Living 4th Edition Discussion Thread

covaithe

Explorer
Hello and welcome. The date of the 15th of September has been suggested for the official start of play, and that deadline has met with a fairly positive response. So it seems likely that any setting that's not ready for serious consideration by then will probably be too late. On the other hand, we've gone to some lengths to make our existing setting proposals extensible enough that we can continue growing and elaborating them for years to come. If you're interested in working on settings, may I suggest you start by looking at the two current setting proposals, Transitive Isles and Wild Lands of Zheen? If neither of those strikes your fancy, go ahead and start writing your own! Even if you don't finish in time, your ideas may inspire imitators to adapt them as an extension, or they could form the basis of an adventure.

Dunamin

First Post
Well, I've only just begun skimming the settings, but aside from the two proposals mentioned are the other 4E settings on the Wiki being considered?

The Illithid Empire Campaign Setting immediately stood out to me as fascinating and compelling, but then I'm biased towards githyanki-githzerai-illithid games.

Oh, and thanks for the warm welcome by the way! :)

garyh

First Post
Well, I've only just begun skimming the settings, but aside from the two proposals mentioned are the other 4E settings on the Wiki being considered?

The Illithid Empire Campaign Setting immediately stood out to me as fascinating and compelling, but then I'm biased towards githyanki-githzerai-illithid games.

Oh, and thanks for the warm welcome by the way! :)

Welcome aboard, Dunamin! I'm happy to see my shameless plugging worked. :)

We had discussed using official campaign settings (WotC settings specifically, but I think the idea goes to 3PP as well), and the trouble is that we don't own those settings, so posting lots of information about Cormyr, for example, could get us in trouble. There's also an increased sense of ownership in playing in a world created by the community.

Looking more at IEC, it looks like it's trying to do the same thing, actually. I don't think we want to make the gith the focus of L4E, but it looks like IEC would be okay with us stealing some of their ideas.

That said, since you love the gith, give our gith entry a look and add to it!

http://www.enworld.org/wiki/index.php/L4W:Character_Creation#The_Gith

And again, very happy to have you involved!

Dunamin

First Post
Welcome aboard, Dunamin! I'm happy to see my shameless plugging worked. :)

We had discussed using official campaign settings (WotC settings specifically, but I think the idea goes to 3PP as well), and the trouble is that we don't own those settings, so posting lots of information about Cormyr, for example, could get us in trouble. There's also an increased sense of ownership in playing in a world created by the community.

Looking more at IEC, it looks like it's trying to do the same thing, actually. I don't think we want to make the gith the focus of L4E, but it looks like IEC would be okay with us stealing some of their ideas.

That said, since you love the gith, give our gith entry a look and add to it!

http://www.enworld.org/wiki/index.php/L4W:Character_Creation#The_Gith

And again, very happy to have you involved!
Thanks again.

I understand the ownership issue, though hopefully there's legal room to implement minor bits of lore that seem "near-universal" in D&D settings, such as how gith and illithid history are interconnected.

I do have a few things in mind for the githyanki but I want to get a thorough read through the agreed upon material to get a sense of style and atmosphere before supplying new content.

garyh

First Post
IANAL, but I would tend to think that minor bits of lore like that are fine. I think the big problems would be if we start using Avandra, Sehanine, and Gruumsh, for example.

renau1g

First Post
We actually probably need to be a bit careful with the gith, because I think they are considered "protected" or something like that by WOTC. They weren't a part of the SRD for 3e for that reason.

Graf

Explorer
Welcome Dunamin!

We're targeting Sept 15th at the latest, but honestly, we could begin sooner; depends on how quickly we get things done.

Have you had a chance to look at the wiki?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases