D&D 4th Edition Living 4th Edition Discussion Thread - Page 16

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Ignore Graf
    I like your sheet. I think we need more detail. If I can I'll throw out my own version.
    Interested in playing 4th edition online? The Living 4th EnWorld Campaign is open! [character creation wiki forum]
    I am in an interesting period of my life; I will post in games that I run three times a week (M,W,F); and try to maintain obligations in existing games.
    ...disquieting...
    There was no end to his patience and endurance. He played day and night, his obsession was somewhat disquieting. It was less as if he were playing to dispel gloom or beguile tedium than as if he were giving himself up to the fangs of gaming devils."
    Kawabata Yasunari - The Master of Go

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Ignore Graf
    I went nuts on the math section.

I really really think we ought to focus on having the math section be something that shows you "how I got my +11 to whatever".

Big easy to read tables, etc etc.

The sheet above is for gaming and should be uncluttered and simple, but the math section should be easy to read, very organized and very complete.

The idea of having tables with a section like "Math" where people write in whatever they feel like scares me.
    I'd rather have one massive template that everyone uses.

Even if it's annoying for players to fill out? The point is to make it easy for DMs and judges to do their job.
    Last edited by Graf; Monday, 25th August, 2008 at 06:05 AM.
    Interested in playing 4th edition online? The Living 4th EnWorld Campaign is open! [character creation wiki forum]
    I am in an interesting period of my life; I will post in games that I run three times a week (M,W,F); and try to maintain obligations in existing games.
    ...disquieting...
    There was no end to his patience and endurance. He played day and night, his obsession was somewhat disquieting. It was less as if he were playing to dispel gloom or beguile tedium than as if he were giving himself up to the fangs of gaming devils."

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Ignore Graf
    Posted a higher level character... to see how it scales....

It's not a fast process, but it does produce a very readable math sheet.

I think we need to have more developed powers lines personally but I'm not sure how to do that in the wiki format yet....

Sample powers
    Rod of Corruption (Free!) ✦ Item
    Crit: +1d6 damage
    Property: Whenever your pact boon is triggered, instead of taking its normal benefit you can transfer your Warlock’s Curse to each enemy within 5 squares of the original target.
    Dire Radiance (standard; at-will) ✦ Arcane, Implement, Radiant
    Range 10 | +7 vs Fort | Hit: 1d6+5 radiant damage
    Special: If the target moves nearer to Yanwer on its next turn it takes an extra 1d6+5 radiant
    Eldritch Blast (standard; at-will) ✦ Arcane, Implement
    Range 10 | +7 vs Ref | Hit: 1d10+5
    Special: Basic ranged
    Eyebite (standard; at-will) ✦ Arcane, Charm, Implement, Psychic
    Range 10 | +6 vs Will | Hit: 1d6 + 4 psychic damage, and Yanwer is invisible to the target until the start of his next turn.

Starlock power from web enhancement cold and freeze(standard; encounter) ✦ Arcane, Implement
    Range 10 | +7 vs Will(?)| Hit: 2d12+4 psychic damage and slow target
    Etherial Stride (move; encounter) ✦ Arcane, Teleport
    Personal | Effect: Teleport 3 squares, and gain a +2 power bonus to until end of next turn..
    Frigid Darkness (standard; encounter) ✦ Arcane, Cold, Fear, Implement
    Range 10 | +7 vs Fort | Hit: 2d8+5 damage and target AC -3 & grants combat advantage to you and all allies until end of next turn.

Armor of Agathys (standard; daily) ✦ Arcane, Cold
    Personal | Effect: Gain 13 temporary hit points. Until the end of the encounter, an enemy that starts its turn adjacent to Yanwer takes 1d6 + 5 cold damage.

Bloodcut Leather Armor (minor; daily) ✦ Healing, Item
    Power (Healing Surge): While you are bloodied, use this armor to gain resist 10 to all damage until the end of your next turn.
    Cloak of Resistance (minor; daily) ✦ Item
    Effect: Gain resist 5 to all damage until the start of your next turn.
    Ironskin Belt (minor; daily) ✦ Item
    Effect: Gain resist 5 to all weapon damage until the end of your next turn.
    ...disquieting...

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Ignore Graf
    Do we need utility powers as their own line on the template? They're all either encounter or daily anyway...
    ...disquieting...

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Ignore Graf
    The perceptive have already noted that there are three new polls

Rewarding DMs
    Economics, Balance and Magic Items
    Arguably the above poll is sucky... but there is disagreement on the facilitators as to whether we ought to count coins, whether we should use the 4e magic items system or try to bang together some kind of magic item system, etc.
    Time for XP
    ...disquieting...

Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Defender (Lvl 8)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore covaithe
    Quote Originally Posted by Graf View Post
    I went nuts on the math section.

I really really think we ought to focus on having the math section be something that shows you "how I got my +11 to whatever".

Big easy to read tables, etc etc.
    Hmm. Yes, I think there are some real improvements there, but it might go a bit too far in the table direction. But only just a bit.

The main problem is that we're just not going to be able to have a table cell for every possible reason that a score might change; the tables will get huge and unreadable. Even including dedicated cells for bonuses that are rarely used makes the whole thing harder to read. At some point you have to draw the line and have a column for "Other (describe)". I'm leaning towards pushing feats and race into that "Other" column. In Quagmire's sheet, there are more than 60 table cells dedicated to feats, and only two of them aren't empty.

By the same token, I'd prefer to leave cells that have no information actually blank, rather than having "NA" or "--". I think it would be easier to read that way.

The ability score section is an improvement (in fact, I spotted an error because of the changes), and the skills table is mostly nice, too. I'm not sure about the powers; I think I'd rather have a detailed section like you describe. More below...

I think we need to have more developed powers lines personally but I'm not sure how to do that in the wiki format yet....
    Agreed. I was experimenting with just linking to powers in the compendium, but frankly, I don't like the result. I like your sample powers section much better.

Do we need utility powers as their own line on the template? They're all either encounter or daily anyway...
    Hmm... yes and no. I think we need to have a section that just lists which powers you have and how you got them, so the judges can easily see that you didn't forget to add your utility power when you hit level 2, or if you have three daily and three utility powers at level 2, it's okay because you're a wizard with the Expanded Spellbook feat.

But if we have a section where all the powers are outlined in detail as you describe, which I'm becoming convinced that we should, then no, I don't think we need to separate utility powers in there.
    My games

Check out Living 4th Edition, a community-run 4e D&D living world open to all. Now open for character and adventure submissions!

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Ignore Atanatotatos
    I'd like to note that checking correct power update is going to be harder for judges if there's not a "utility powers" entry...IMO
    Current PBP
    DM in:
    Ata's 4e PPvPP Arena

Playing:
    Koryo of the Tiger's Rest in Voda Vosa's "Path of Enlightment"
    Belleros Arkeion in Sparky's "Thorantar"
    Thormir Brassbeard in EvolutionKB's "Lost-Eberron-4eStyle"
    Anostor Duran in covaithe's "Death's Reach"

In L4W:
    Alexander Duran, Proud member of the MMC
    in:
    Phoenix8008's "The Captain's Caper"
    "Redblade's Riches"
    Hadarai Polemarkos
    in:
    KenHood's "TURTLEDOME!:Battle Bone"

In LEB:
    Thusk Tharashk Duran

Come join us in the Shifting Seas and Transitive Isles of Living 4th Edition, amazing adventures and great fun guaranteed!
    Then to play community 4e in Eberron join us in LEB too! Give life to your characters and contribute to the living settings!

Please excuse my poor English. It is not my first language.

Registered User COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore garyh
    Quote Originally Posted by Atanatotatos View Post
    I'd like to note that checking correct power update is going to be harder for judges if there's not a "utility powers" entry...IMO
    Good point, Atanatotatos.

Also, I'd prefer to see official class names - for example, "Warlock - Star Pact" instead of "Starlock."
    Gary Hoggatt - www.garyh.net
    "Such heroic nonsense..."
    Living 4th Edition - Join EN World's community-created Play-by-Post world! Adventure awaits you in the Transitive Isles!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Ignore Erekose13
    Wow that is really detailed. We'll definitely need templates to force people to fill all that information in. Personally I love extremely detailed sheets so that works for me. But I also agree with covaithe, when it comes to all the permutations of things that are bonuses to various abilities, defenses, skills, etc, we'll need to draw the line somewhere and use the other column. I think in general the Character Sheet on Wizards.com can serve as the basis on where to draw the line. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...haractersheets)
    Erekose13
    Art by Uneide!
    PbP

[Living 4th Edition]
    Callen Stewart Human Wizard 8
    Beyrk Verkunder Hobgoblin Bard 3

[Living Eberron]
    Gogmorthak d'Tharashk Orc Barbarian 6

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Ignore Erekose13
    bloody double posts...
    Erekose13
    Art by Uneide!
    PbP

[Living 4th Edition]
    Callen Stewart Human Wizard 8
    Beyrk Verkunder Hobgoblin Bard 3

[Living Eberron]
    Gogmorthak d'Tharashk Orc Barbarian 6

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast