Living 4th Edition Discussion Thread

Graf

Explorer
Taking care of my son today, so probably won't contribute anything significant.

[sblock=god talk]
I respect your preferences as preferences... I can't see really the value in arguing it logically but since you also seem to feel like you're "logically" correct...

Planescape is an awesome setting. But is bizaare and sorta disengenous to say that "PS had 'real' gods so real gods are good". PS was an evolution of the great wheel. The great wheel dates back to the very start of DnD and includes lots of bizarre stuff, basically everything anybody ever wanted to shoehorn in.
The evolutionar developemnents that pushed PS to the next level were things like sigil and the lady. They didn't harm the setting because, with zillions of gods as sort of political groups, having one or two that were strange or silly made a degree of sense.

Oots is a brilliant and funny comic. The humor comes from picking up the absurd elements of DnD and focusing on them. Rich Baker gets a lot of miliage out of Thor because... well... the whole thing is pretty funny.

There are other examples of people trying to include real gods in settings like FR, etc and just having to get rid of them because they don't work.

We do need to tap into existing mythology, and I realize that certain names will bother certain people and there's no right answer.

But I don't think you can point to anybody using existing gods very successfuly in any fantasy game.
[/sblock]

Dunamin

First Post
I’m not really sure what you mean by ”logically correct” – my preference is obviously just that, and I respect yours just the same.

Being a longtime fan of both mentioned settings, I’m aware what some key contributions were to their success. While the employment of existing mythology may not have been the prime features in either, they surely didn’t detract (in my opinion).
I do think the Nordic pantheon adds particularly to the OOTS setting. Nordic mythology is the base inspirational source for dwarves and makes Thor a fitting god for Durkon; both are depicted as being gruff and blunt with preference for life’s simple goods, while lacking somewhat in articulation skills.
Planescape is an awesome setting. But is bizaare and sorta disengenous to say that "PS had 'real' gods so real gods are good".
That I did not say. Planescape did not include direct mythological elements just as an afterthought; it hardwired Oceanus, Yggdrasil, Styx, and Mount Olympus as major paths of planar travel. I think the Styx in particular was used very successfully as a connection between worlds.

Graf

Explorer
So can we count on you to edit the names of the gods of the wiki from the non-preperred Imperium names to the "Dauntonian" names? :)

Graf

Explorer
It is in fact possible to do math on wiki. Given that I find the template stuff scary it's probably not the best idea that I try to do it....

But with a second draft of the regional benefits done, and an awareness that the sheet is next I will try to put an hour to two into codeing up the skills/defenses/etc.

Can we have multiple templates on one page?
(I'm gonna assume so...)
edit:looks like we can do multiple pages, so I've broken them up into defenses, skills, etc

People who like watching suffering and incompetence are welcome to come visit my scratch pad...

Last edited:

Graf

Explorer
I've hacked up a sample character to show what the new template system will look like. He's not done but the two areas that are basically done are his defenses and skills.

PS the templates are ugly, I was focusing on getting the info to come out right.
Will try to do powers and attributes tomorrow.

Graf

Explorer
The good news is that I've made an attempt to get a better version of the character sheet summary up. The bad news is that the skills aren't adding properly. I'll need to spend tomorrow trying to figure out how the {{expr:{{{#}}}+...}} command actually works. Unless some sort of genius wants to help out? I guess we could just skip the function.... but I feel sure it could work...

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases