Living 4th Edition Discussion Thread

Erekose13

Explorer
I'm trying my hand at templates too, but can't seem to find a way to post my template. I've attached a notepad with what I've got so far.

Last edited:

Graf

Explorer
Cov's been romping and stomping on the templates. Check out powers and the whole thing [sample].

Ere I put up your template here. It looks really good, I think, I'll be perfect for the math section. (I need to see if i can use it... it seems to refer to other templates...)

I think the current consensus is that the summary (including the powers section) will be required, and that the math will have guidelines possibly using the templates, but be optional.

covaithe

Explorer
Yeah. I'm a bit buried until next week, but if we had a solid writeup of regional benefits philosophies whatever, I'd propose opening character submission now. Garyh, any progress on that, or should I try to squeeze it in somewhere?

Graf

Explorer
So I used Quagmire as a base to rework Amicus' Summary and Used Ere's Base attack shield to do base attacks.

It seemed pretty simple to me. And it produces a very clear, very readable sheet.

One comment, for the powers to be meaningful I think we should do all the math out; so I see that Quagmire has 3w... I think we should make that 3d8 or whatever's appropriate.

(Everything below base attacks still needs to be fixed).

One more pass at the character creation guidelines and I think we're done.

PS Added a regional benefit for The Isle of the Laughing Gallows (in consultation with Dunamin, natch); put Ea into the Far Lands and also made the first explicit "secrets" page (i.e. L4W:Secret:whatever) for stuff that isn't general knowledge.

garyh

First Post
Yeah. I'm a bit buried until next week, but if we had a solid writeup of regional benefits philosophies whatever, I'd propose opening character submission now. Garyh, any progress on that, or should I try to squeeze it in somewhere?

Alas, the day I had a lot of free time (Friday), Enworld was down. And since then, I've been really busy. I'll see what I can do, though.

Erekose13

Explorer
Thanks for dropping the template in Graf. I figured out how they work, but am still stuck on how to start a new one. Once it was up I was able to quickly tweek it. I did a bit of editing for the CS template. I'm going to review my original notes and see if I can make any suggestions on fixing it (I think it needs more tables to place content like languages and senses better).

Any idea why the Summary starts so far down the page? I doesn't appear to be the template used from what I could tell. I wonder if its the fontsize=140% though.

covaithe

Explorer
Thanks for dropping the template in Graf. I figured out how they work, but am still stuck on how to start a new one.
The wiki page name for a template is the template's name preceded by "Template:". Thus, if I wanted to create a new template called "L4W:Nonsense" I'd type the following url in my browser window:

Code:
http://www.enworld.org/wiki/index.php/Template:L4W:Nonsense

Going there should bring up an empty page, which you can edit. Alternatively, you can add the following code to any wiki page:

Code:
[[Template:L4W:Nonsense]]

It might well make sense to have a wiki page somewhere in the L4W namespace linking to all the templates we've written, with descriptions of what they're for.

Any idea why the Summary starts so far down the page? I doesn't appear to be the template used from what I could tell. I wonder if its the fontsize=140% though.

I think that's my fault. Wiki text inserts newlines (HTML <br/> tags) whenever you have what it thinks are extra newlines within the template. I wrote the new powers section of the summary as

Code:
{{ #ifeq: {{{Power01|}}} ||| <tr><td> {{{Power01}}} </tr></td> }}
{{ #ifeq: {{{Power02|}}} ||| <tr><td> {{{Power02}}} </tr></td> }}
{{ #ifeq: {{{Power03|}}} ||| <tr><td> {{{Power03}}} </tr></td> }}

etc. If I'd written instead:

Code:
{{ #ifeq: {{{Power01|}}} ||| <tr><td> {{{Power01}}} </tr></td> }} {{ #ifeq: {{{Power02|}}} ||| <tr><td> {{{Power02}}} </tr></td> }} {{ #ifeq: {{{Power03|}}} ||| <tr><td> {{{Power03}}} </tr></td> }}

then the wikitext wouldn't emit the <br/>'s. <br/> inside of a <table> tag isn't legal HTML, so your browser attempts to figure out what the page developer "meant", and moves them outside the table. In this case, above the summary section.

At least, that's my theory, based on spending most of Sunday dealing with weird interactions between wikitext and html. It would be easily tested, by taking out the extra newlines in the template code and seeing if that fixed the extra space above the summary.

Erekose13

Explorer
Excellent I'll see if I can work on the Attributes one next. That'll make template construction much easier. As this is my first experience with Wikis I was kind of shocked to find they work nothing like any CMS I've worked with.

Erekose13

Explorer
Figured it out. It was the table columns, they were all inconsistent for each row. I've cleaned it up on the CS sheet and done a few other modifications as well to reorganize it.

EDIT: Okay big edit on the existing templates. I've figured out how to do the #expr and #ifexpr syntax. I've updated all the CS, CSDef, CS:Attack, CS:Skills templates. They now look cleaner and have calculations embedded.

Take a look at http://www.enworld.org/wiki/index.php/L4W:PC:Callen_Stewart

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases