Living 4th Edition Discussion Thread

Graf

Explorer
Actually the whole judges checking thing is a problem period, assuming we get to play....
(we do get to play right...?)

Graf

Explorer
Just at a glance, this bit looks wrong:
Code:
{{#ifeq: {{{|ArmorIsHeavy}}}| ||
Try instead:
Code:
{{#ifeq: {{{ArmorIsHeavy|}}}|||
I moved the vertical bar to after ArmorIsHeavy, and removed a space, since "" != " ", I think.

The heavy armor toggle in defenses now works!

I don't even know how it works but... but I copied and pasted and now it works. (at least it seems to) I'll try to do the same thing with heavy thrown weapons for basic attacks.

Then, I swear, I'm stopping. No more templates.

Graf

Explorer
The Battack math works now.

OK. I took a pass at making the Main Wiki tolerably readable (mostly getting rid of a lot of old stuff).

Edited and added the Requesting Approval category, along with a message on that page.

Made a few more passes on the Character Creation Guide. It's too long, but that's my weak point.

I've tried to make lots of pointers to the right things (so there are pointers to the character creation guide and to the setting guide and so forth).

I almost made the following post in the New Games thread but I figured I should wait

[d]--[/d]
The Living 4th Edition Enworld is (finally) going to open soon. Probably within the next 24 hours.

Right now we're anticipating 4 games around launch with more hopefully opening soon after.

We're in the final comment period on the Character Creation Guide so please feel free to give feedback etc, start thinking about your characters and so forth.

Please note: we're launching with PhB + races in the appendix of the Monster Manual as the only available material to make PCs. That decision will be revisited three months after launch, however for the time being it is non-negotiable; so no swordmages or genasi to start and drow/warforged/etc can't use material from dragon or other non PhB sources.

covaithe

Explorer
I tried to make more moderators, but I can't figure out how. Sorry, I guess that will have to wait until next week when I can post in Meta.

Regarding LEW, the judging/playing thing works pretty much as you'd expect: judges don't approve their own characters, nor do they judge games they play/DM in. So at least one judge has to sit out of every game, and there have to always be at least 3, so that when one of them submits a character, there are two others who can approve it. It works best if there are much more than 3 judges. I'd really hope to get at least 5. It's okay (inevitable, really) if some are less active than others.

grislyeye

R.G. Wood
I love the work that has been done on this, and I can't wait to play. Reading the wiki and forums I'm not clear if L4W is ready for play yet? I know this sounds impatient, but how close is it to being ready?

TIA

Dunamin

First Post
Since most here think we're ready to open L4W, don't we just need to confirm it by voting on a poll to make it official? (or is that even needed?)

One thing that's bothering me, probably just because I'm unfamiliar with living settings:
As I understand it, the setting is supposed to evolve as new material is added, but it seems that Daunton and the Proximate Isles are more hardwired than the rest of the setting. What if you want to use a NPC that occupies a unique role of authority in these locales, but he/she hasn't been introduced and agreed upon among the L4W group before launch, yet you would expect most people in the setting to be familiar with him/her?

For instance, what if I run an adventure and want to use Daunton's captain of the guard? Should I make a formal proposal for the NPC on the forum and wait for consensus to be reached, or should I just go ahead and use him/her?

Phoenix8008

First Post
My vote (not that I can vote since I'm not a faccilitator) would be to just make up the Captain for your adventure and that's how the setting grows. Maybe we could have a Wiki page like a master NPC list? So people can search there to see if there is already a lord or captain or whatever to match their needs and if not then they can add one to the list and use it in their adventure. Maybe have it broken up by area so it's easier to find stuff if your adventure is in Daunton or Bacarte specifically? Each DM would have to go and update it after their adventure to include any NPC's used? Too much trouble? What does everybody think?

Edit: We could have an agreement like in the Thieves' World book series (great series, I'm re-reading it again for the umpteenth time currently) that anybody can use anybody else's characters (I mean NPC's in our Living World here, not the PC's themselves) as long as they don't kill them or too massively change them out of their normal character habits without the original author's (DM's) permission.

Last edited:

Erekose13

Explorer
With regards to how LEW does it with the small number of judges that have changed over time is exactly as Covaithe put it. One judge will be needed to judge the game and thus cannot play or dm it. Given that one of the other judges is the dm and he cant approve the adventure, the last judge is required to approve the adventure. When this was the case in LEW either a fourth judge was available for comment, or the approval was sent to the other judges in two sections. One spoiler free with very minimal info on hooks, length, and general purpose. Then a spoiler section followed with very detailed information. That way the judge playing didn't have too much advance knowledge but could still pass judgement that the adventure would not break the world or unbalance the characters. And also the judge judging had enough information to do the job of judge should it ever become necessary. Its a little complicated I know and certainly easier if there are 4 or 5 judges.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Just another procedural thing: One should create a fake "Living 4th Edition" user and use that to create posts like the creation guide and such. This allows all the judges/facilitators (who will be given the password) to edit it; as is, only Graf (and forum moderators) can edit it. This will work in this group, but if this gets promoted to a full forum, then I doubt they'll keep that moderation (I'm not a LEB moderator, for example).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases