Living 4th Edition Discussion Thread

Graf

Explorer
Ok, we'll shelve it for now. I don't think we're discussing what to allow in, but rather how to allow it in the most effective manner possible.
It's a fine discussion. Now that we have a whole forum to ourselves it's worth of an entire thread. Because right now the conversation is happening on like three different levels and, incidentally, completely dominating this thread.

In an ideal world I think we would move the individual posts (many of which are well thought out and excellent), to a new thread. I'm not sure if that's the best use of covaithe's time though...

Especially since people coming to this thread for the first time will probably think the issue is still being discussed and is unresolved (and then take a stance, get irritated when it's probably not the one we have in place now, etc...) .

Graf

Explorer
There is support for vignettes and short adventures in LEW and LEB, though without rigid guidelines on how much xp/treasure/time span represents a vignette vs. short adventure. Halford has just gotten approval for such a small adventure in LEW. But you know how it is; people want to run long and glorious adventures, not little tidy ones.
I saw it a bit in LEB actually yesterday (though I'd written it up my version earlier on vacation).

I guess I got to thinking about how stonegod was saying that he's "DMing three dropped games" and how may games I'm in right now that are a bit quiet and thinking that less is more.

Maybe newer DMs should be asked to run a "mini" first?

If you add vignettes in with kickers and hooks and "DM points" from LEB you could easily create a situation where a DM gets "extra points" for running vignettes/minis for characters with no hooks whose hooks or kickers haven't been explored/used.
Or just for to reward people for running games for characters who haven't had a chance to play in a while.

I like the idea of giving out "player points" for consistent regular posting.

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
Just one last generic point to remember.

Standardization, Standardization, Standardization.

As much as you may hate that it restricts things, living environments are large environments open to several differen people and players, GMs and judges. Things that work in one off games or home games don't work quite as well. Generaly, you need to be fairly close to RAW for just about anything, and if RAW is in question, have an official ruling on it.

That's not to say you can't give GMs and Judges a little leway, but you need to be fairly standard. The idea is that, for the most part, characters with the same powers work the same, and characters with different powers are generaly closely balanced. Aim for that, and you should do just fine.

Graf

Explorer
the facilitator situation

So we only have four nominees who have accepted for five slots...

I move that we accept those four by acclimation and hold a fifth slot for a "former or current living game judge".

So we need three Ayes to accept and one nay to stop.

covaithe

Explorer
I feel a little odd voting to give myself the ability to vote on things, so I'm going to hold off for a while and hope other people jump in.

garyh

First Post
I feel a little odd voting to give myself the ability to vote on things, so I'm going to hold off for a while and hope other people jump in.

The same thought crossed my mind, but half the people in these discussions ARE the facilitator nominees, so unless we get a surge of new folks, we're going to have to vote for ourselves sooner or later. :)

covaithe

Explorer
True, but I'll wait anyways in the hopes of getting at least a few yes votes from outside the nominations themselves. Another day or two without facilitators appointed won't hurt.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases