M&M - Chosen (Recruiting Closed)

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
Basically, in most high schools in America, you have 6 classes plus a home room/study hall period.

Generally one of those classes is a Language Arts/English class, as most schools require 4 years of English (Freshman seminar, World Lit, American Lit, British Lit, in that order). Lots of high schools also require 3-4 years of Math (Geometry, Trigonometry, Precalculus, and either Calculus or Statistics), Science (Biology, Chemistry, and Physics), and Social Studies (World History, American History, Government/Economics); and 2-3 years of foreign language. Beyond that, they have elective courses you can take to customize your field of study. Electives include music courses like band, orchestra, and chorus; other performing arts classes like theatre, film study, and broadcast; art classes such as 2d/3d art, sculpting, and computer design; business classes; technology classes; and family and consumer science (home economics) classes. There also tend to be electives in the core classes, such as Debate or Creative Writing (English); Sociology or Psychology (Social Studies); and Forensics or Environmental Science (Science).

AP classes are regular classes that offer a chance for college credit.

Hope that helps.

Bialaska

First Post
Is it possible to have art, business studies, English, history and science, but no foreign language? I didn't think it was common to learn a second language in the U.S.

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
There are actually 2 major class formats. 4 1.5 hour classes each semester (block schedule) or 6 50 minutes classes (standard schedule) each year.

Not all high school students take foreign language their senior year, but nearly every American High School requires students to take 2 years of a foreign language.

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
The High School where I work teaches Spanish, German, Latin, French, and Chinese.

I know of some others that offer Korean.

And yes, two years of Foreign Language classes does NOT equal any sort of fluency. I took two years of French, but would be lost if I spent any time in Montreal or Paris.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases