"Mask of the Raven" PEACH

TheProphet

First Post
Once per day, as a Standard Action, you may don the Mask of the Raven, a face mask resembling a Raven's head. You transform into a raven, and remain so until you use a move action, and the mask is removed.
As a raven, you are able to communicate with other ravens, who must make a Perception check at -10 to notice you yourself are not a raven.

Raven
Size: Tiny
HP: 5
Strength: 4, Dexterity: 22, Constitution: 10
Speed: Fly 12
Damage: 1d2
Trained: Perception, Stealth
Senses: Low-Light Vision
Defenses: +2 Reflex

The stats for the raven are blatantly stolen from Tequila Sunrise's awesome feat: Animal Companion, where it was called a Hawk.

Note that your hit points are drastically reduced, making you very vunerable, however, you are able to fly, giving a great advantage. What level should this magical item be, and how expensive? Thanks!

Khuxan

First Post
I think there are better ways of modelling a transformation into a raven. Since it seems to be useful only as a mode of transportation, why not:

keep all the character's statistics the same, add a fly speed and low-light vision, and not allow the use of any powers or weapons. No re-calculations on the fly, no dying instantly from a kobold's attack, and so on.

fissionessence

First Post
I really like this. I would say that if you take a hit of more than your transformed hit points (ie 5), then you take that damage from your normal hit point total and also are forced to revert back. If you take less than 5 damage, then it still counts against your normal hit point total, but you're not forced to revert until you've taken all 5.

Also, I'd change the flight speed of 12 to an overland flight speed of 12, and make the actual [in-combat] flight speed to 6 or maybe 7. Also, I'd keep what you have up there, but note that the raven gets to make Dex attacks (as opposed to Str). So it'd be +6 to hit, plus half the wearer's level, and 1d2+6 damage. You could also consider that the raven is 'proficient' with its beak or claws, and add another 2 to hit.

I don't think I'd change the character's Con score, and I'd also allow a character with a higher Dex than 22 to retain his normal value. I would make this item somewhere between 8 and 10 (and therefore give it the relevant cost from the PHB), but not make it available to be purchased or created through rituals; it could only be received as treasure [at my discretion].

~

Remove ads