Star Wars: Clone Wars Movie [Early Review, No Serious Spoilers]

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
My wife and I got to go to the premiere of this movie this weekend. Here is my wife's video review, which contains no spoilers aside from the mention of some of the characters that are in this movie (none of which is a surprise):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY5tTqaRoz4[/ame]

Felon

First Post
My wife and I got to go to the premiere of this movie this weekend. Here is my wife's video review, which contains no spoilers aside from the mention of some of the characters that are in this movie (none of which is a surprise):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY5tTqaRoz4

Thanks, Mist and Melody. Hoped this movie would capture the spirit of Clone Wars. Now I know it's not for me. I like that Munchy wasn't edited out. Adorable surprise that.

Phoenix8008

First Post
I'm looking forward to this movie as well as the eventual live action series which goes between Eps III and IV. Sounds great to me. Thanks for the review Mistwell & wife!

Darrin Drader

Explorer
I caught the matinee today along with my two oldest daughters. I have to say that while it is kid friendly, I think it's more entertaining than the first two prequels (I love episode III, like Episode II, and really am not a huge fan of Episode I). I think the voice acting from the person doing Anakin is already better than Hayden. Obi-One sounded just like Ewan.

I have a couple of minor nit-picky issues with it, but all in all, I loved it. It was fun, it was full of action, it had light humorous moments, and it also took us to some very interesting parts of the galaxy. I went into the movie expecting not to like Asoka since she was Lucas's latest attempt to capture the younger audience (Jar Jar being the worst attempt), but I found that I really enjoyed the character by the end. It's too bad she gets whacked by the end of Episode III. Also like Episode III, I found myself liking Anakin, which I really didn't in Episodes I and II.

I look forward to owning the DVD and watching it several more times, and I definitely plan on checking out the TV series.

Well done, Lucas.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
A lot of the reviews I read, with the usual hyperbole, said I'd want to pull my eyes out of my head and run screaming in circles outside the theatre.

It was actually kind of okay. There were some howlers, but there were some parts that were really, really good.

And while the battle droids were stupid, they were also pretty funny.

Brad

possum

First Post
I rather liked the movie as well, despite the fact that it was obviously 3-4 TV episodes edited together to make a feature film.

"Punky muffin" was the only thing that I absolutely hated about the fiilm. No, not the huttlet, but the nickname. Somehow, I'm hoping that was a Hutt nickname horribly translated by the protocol droid, but since I think I heard Jabba say that later, my theory's likely incorrect.

Loved the intro to the film as well, as it was kind of in the style of an old WWII newsreel: really getting into the inspirations of space combat in the universe.

Blastin

First Post
Took the kids to it this afternoon. Just the fact that my 3yr old and 5 yr old sat compleatly spellbound for the whole movie tells me it's gonna do well it's target audiance. I liked it as well. Not too bad of a story/plot, the voice acting was good, and the saber fights were cool. I also liked the new character/padawan asoka.

Remathilis

Legend
Ok, start off by saying I've been a lifelong fan...

THIS IS THE MOVIE EPISODE 2 SHOULD HAVE BEEN!

Lighthearted banter between Obiwan and Anakin, subtle hints to Anakin's Darkside rather than have it shoved down our throats. Padme doing something more than looking pretty. Anakin as a hero! Dooku as a menace. Clone warriors doing their job! Its was amazing.

I also understand it was written to kick off a TV series. I saw it for that. I viewed it as an overblown TV movie, not a full-length feature film. So a lot of the humor, story elements, and such struck me as very TV, but I went in expecting that.

Overall, I enjoyed it. I think it did a better job of capturing the heroic spirit of the Old movies far more than the political maneuvering or teen angst of the actual prequels.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Ok, start off by saying I've been a lifelong fan...

THIS IS THE MOVIE EPISODE 2 SHOULD HAVE BEEN!

Lighthearted banter between Obiwan and Anakin, subtle hints to Anakin's Darkside rather than have it shoved down our throats. Padme doing something more than looking pretty. Anakin as a hero! Dooku as a menace. Clone warriors doing their job! Its was amazing.

I also understand it was written to kick off a TV series. I saw it for that. I viewed it as an overblown TV movie, not a full-length feature film. So a lot of the humor, story elements, and such struck me as very TV, but I went in expecting that.

Overall, I enjoyed it. I think it did a better job of capturing the heroic spirit of the Old movies far more than the political maneuvering or teen angst of the actual prequels.

Yeah, I totally agree. I actually mostly like Episode II, but that's where the trilogy should have began. Episode I accomplished what? Palpatine becomes Supreme Chancellor and the jedi discover Anakin Skywalker. They could have done that in about 10 minutes at the beginning of Episode II. The fun element that was present in Clone Wars was totally lacking in all three of the prequels. Why did Lucas finally figure this out now that he's supposedly done making Star Wars movies?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases