Iron Kingdoms / Privateer Press not switching to 4th

Khairn

First Post
I just read that Privateer Press ( makers of Iron Kingdoms / War Machine, Hordes etc) has decided not to switch to 4E.

You can read about it here.

Not really much of a surprise given their product line. Just another 3PP deciding to avoid 4E and the GSL.

Gothmog

First Post
Well, a buddy of mine who works at the FLGS here also works at the PP booth at the last three Gen Cons, and stays in touch with the PP staff. From what he told me when 4e was announced, PP was considering one of 3 options for the IK RPG.

1) go with 4e
2) Savage Worlds
3) or most likely, PP develops their own system based on Warmachine

PP continuing to support 3.x D&D was pretty much a non-reality by the time the character and world books went out of print. From what he told me, the PP folks liked a lot of 4e, but not the GSL. With the announcement of no 4e IK, and while I would love to see a 4e or Savage Worlds version of IK RPG, I'd bet on PP making their own kick-ass system for the IK. :)

Gundark

Explorer
Hmm too bad. I'm really dissapointed. I think this may hurt them in the long run. Lots of fans on the forums wanted them to go 4e. Oh well...I may check out the new game, but I don't see myself buying it.

Angellis_ater

First Post
Here's to hoping they adapt either Pathfinder as their prime system, or yoink the stuff from PF they like, adapt it to IK and release a new "core book" for their own setting.

Atropos

First Post
Not really much of a surprise given their product line has been dead for a few years. Saying that they're not going to produce anything for 4E doesn't mean much when they're not producing anything RPG-related in the first place.

Hammerhead

Explorer
Yeah, I don't recall them making much RPG stuff (I mainly remember them for a series of bad adventures released at the start of 3e). What was the last RPG product they even released?

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
My take:

I love the Iron Kingdoms. I have a game there, but that's been stalling a bit ... well, has ground to a halt amidst a plethora of other gaming options (Age of Worms, Keep on the Shadowfell, WFRP, Vampire ... the list goes on).

The Iron Kingdoms as a system of its own would be totally my cup of tea, maybe a Savage Worlds thing, but really, really a WFRP conversion would be gold (which isn't gonna happen, I know, but I can dream).

Anyways, did I tell you I love the Iron Kingdoms?

Ok, with that out of the way: huh, I thought IK was dead in the water BEFORE the 4e announcement. So it not being brought to 4e is not only unsuprinsing, it is anti-surprising.

I'm not disappointed with this "news". I've got the books and they are cool.

/M

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
Interesting. I love IK, I like SW (despite glaring flaws), and I'd be very very interested in an IK-specific system (although I doubt they'd divert that much effort from Warmachine).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases