[Proposal] The Transitive Isles

garyh

First Post
Those are some really great ideas, Binder Fred! I personally would love to see those sorts of things in the setting. Very creative thinking about the whole "shifting seas" concept.

And welcome to the L4E project! :)

Goes off to think about a pirate island that IS the crew's ship...

Graf

Explorer
Binder Fred, those are great ideas.
Drawing inspiration from the original setting idea you've managed to push it in a new and interesting direction.

That's the sort of original thinking that will really help us out. I've added your ideas (with a bit of retyping to the wiki) (it could probably use a little bit more transformation into "wiki-voice").

Looking forward to your take on underwater! :) (the depths?)

covaithe

Explorer
While you creative types are having good ideas, may I suggest that someone give some thought to death and resurrection, and how they're handled? In other words, which temples do it, what do they want in return, and how does it fit into the culture?

covaithe

Explorer
Apropos of nothing, I ran across a web page today with maps of Iceland from 1590 that I think are completely awesome. I'm mostly putting this here as a reminder/inspiration if I ever want to make a detailed map of a single island.

garyh

First Post
I've got my deity names put together. Haven't done the Fey Court or Jade / Bone yet, might let others tackle those (although I was thinking of translating the domains into Sindarin to get Fey Court names...).

Couldn't figure proper formatting, alas. Each entry is in the following order:

Greek / Roman / Gender / Imperium / Daunton / Bacarte / Hraka
Zeus / Jupiter / Male / Deiòs / Joven / Deiz / Dez
Hera / Juno / Female / Erath / Juna / Rana / Rata
Poseidon / Neptune / Male / Poseeydus / Neptari / Pozari / Poz
Hades / Pluto / Male / Hadeys / Lauto / Hrauto / Hrade
Persephone / Proserpina / Female / Proserphones / Peresefa / Pereza / Prozfa
Aphrodite / Venus / Female / Aphrodeys / Vena / Veraza / Afraza
Apollo / Apollo / Male / Phoebus / Apoli / Apolus / Feabus
Ares / Mars / Male / Aressus / Maros / Maraz / Araz
Artemis / Diana / Female / Arthamis / Dayna / Dakama / Arkama
Athena / Minerva / Female / Palladys / Mireva / Milaka / Palaka
Hephaestus / Vulcan / Male / Eefeystos / Vulkar / Vulastoz / Fastoz
Hermes / Mercury / Male / Hermethis / Merkari / Hrakari / Hramik

The chart, with portfolios, is attached.

My theme was this:
Imperium - Greek-flavored, and as Ata presented them.
Daunton - Variations on the Roman equivelents.
Hraka - A rough, debased form of the Imperial versions.
Bacarte - A motley mix of all influences.

I'm no Tolkien, but I think it works. Thoughts?

Attachments

• L4E Deities.xls
    50 KB · Views: 155

garyh

First Post
One more thing...

I'm going to do that hex map Daunton and environs based on Graf's map, possibly tonight (Los Angeles time). Just to be clear...

- Is Daunton at the mouth of the river on the big island, all the way at the back of the bay?

- What's the Morth / South distance for Daunton's island, for scale purposes?

- The darker patches... are those specific towns, or just meant to represent farmland / civilization, as opposed to wilderness?

Thanks!

Graf

Explorer
The dark patches are buildings or city blocks (they represent civilization).

So "daunton the city" stretches all the way around the bay, like Tokyo stretchs around the Tokyo bay. The first bay is for trade with lots of shipping, etc.

The second bay is more "recreational" and protected small ships leave it for trading and fishing. I'd like there to be wealthy riverside neighborhoods.

[d]--[/d]

It's supposed to be around the size of Singapore so NS is about 30 miles.

garyh

First Post
The dark patches are buildings or city blocks (they represent civilization).

So "daunton the city" stretches all the way around the bay, like Tokyo stretchs around the Tokyo bay. The first bay is for trade with lots of shipping, etc.

The second bay is more "recreational" and protected small ships leave it for trading and fishing. I'd like there to be wealthy riverside neighborhoods.

[d]--[/d]

It's supposed to be around the size of Singapore so NS is about 30 miles.

30 miles!?! No wonder we weren't on the same page on if there'd be savage humans on the island. My map had Daunton with a long axis of roughly 1,000 miles.

I'm thinking the issue of scale needs to be resolved. I was thinking the islands were significantly bigger than that.

Graf

Explorer
While you creative types are having good ideas, may I suggest that someone give some thought to death and resurrection, and how they're handled? In other words, which temples do it, what do they want in return, and how does it fit into the culture?
I feel like I've responded to this question around 4 times now. I'm tired of typing the same answer.

Please look at Hadeys on the gods page and come back with suggestions if you want more.

Graf

Explorer
30 miles!?! No wonder we weren't on the same page on if there'd be savage humans on the island. My map had Daunton with a long axis of roughly 1,000 miles.

I'm thinking the issue of scale needs to be resolved. I was thinking the islands were significantly bigger than that.
Will email.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases