Character Generation - Regional Benefits

Graf

Explorer
Hm. I can live with it. I mean... if you think of it as "adopting a philosophy" then it's a bit kung-fu movie.

But if you think about it in a general sort of way it makes a lot more sense. Someone from the valley of bone moves to Daunton and becomes "soft" and civilized.
Someone from the Kingdom of Jade lives on Bacarte for a while, they become more open in their mannerisms and more wary of attackers.

Someone from Bacarte who becomes enamored of Imperium culture could live among them and get very talky from having to argue constantly (and lose their focus on self-defense).

Why don't we just say that you can "declare you are switching" and once you've gained xp = to your current level and rped living among those people (visiting their region whatever) you've switched.

garyh

First Post
So the new idea is the Transitive Character Background Benefit? ;)

Sounds fine to me. Doesn't lock anyone in, and it allows organic PC growth. And most importantly, we're coming to a consensus. :)

Phoenix8008

First Post
Sounds like a great compromise and it even makes the world more realistic since people can switch their allegiences and philosophies over time.

Graf, what exactly do you mean by "once you've gained xp = to your current level and rped living among those people (visiting their region whatever) you've switched."?

I declare my 2nd level PC is switching regional benefits and have to earn 2 XP before the switch is active (along with RPing the time for the switch)?

covaithe

Explorer
Yes, I'm curious what you meant by that, too, Graf.

So, I'm pretty sure we're all roughly in agreement with the following:
  • We want regional benefits in some form
  • The defined regional benefits are pretty good
  • We want to have a way to introduce new regional benefits later
  • We want to have a way to switch from one region to another, possibly at a cost.
  • You don't have to take a regional benefit; you're allowed to be "undeclared".

If there's broad consensus on that much, can we just open character submissions now without hammering down the rest of the rules? If I'm right with those assumptions, then no matter what other rules we decide on, at launch your options will either be the benefit from your "home" region or none at all.

garyh

First Post
So, I'm pretty sure we're all roughly in agreement with the following:
  • We want regional benefits in some form
  • The defined regional benefits are pretty good
  • We want to have a way to introduce new regional benefits later
  • We want to have a way to switch from one region to another, possibly at a cost.
  • You don't have to take a regional benefit; you're allowed to be "undeclared".

If there's broad consensus on that much, can we just open character submissions now without hammering down the rest of the rules? If I'm right with those assumptions, then no matter what other rules we decide on, at launch your options will either be the benefit from your "home" region or none at all.

I think we do all agree on that. And as you say, given that, I think we can open character submissions.

And I'm sorry I haven't gotten around to working on the regional ideas. The one day I had time in the last week, EN World was down, and outside of that, I've simply had too much going on in RL.

Graf

Explorer
Graf, what exactly do you mean by "once you've gained xp = to your current level and rped living among those people (visiting their region whatever) you've switched."?

I declare my 2nd level PC is switching regional benefits and have to earn 2 XP before the switch is active (along with RPing the time for the switch)?

Yes, I'm curious what you meant by that, too, Graf.
Yeaaaaah. That's kinda bad.

I thought about that, and originally I just had two levels. But then I got to thinking that it could take years for someone who was honest to switch their character.

Then I had something complex about once you gain xp equal to the amount of xp that you you required to gain a full level when you declared the switch (so if you declared as a 1st level character with 800 xp you'd "switch when you had 1800xp (i.e. 800 + the 1000 it would take you to get your "next level at the time you declared your swtich").

But I thought... doesn't this make a really complex system for something that doesn't matter that much...?

I'm not wedded to any of it. It's a balance hack, it's supposed to balance, not be pretty.

garyh

First Post
How about we just say, at each level up you can switch your regional benefit to a region you've spent significant time in during the previous level? That should be easy to check - just look at the adventure threads for the character.

Halford

First Post
I'd like to propose a regional benefit for the Fey Court, since it was pointed out to me it does not yet exist.

+2 Nature

+2 Perception in woodland areas.

To empasize the connections to the Fey wild, etc.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases