Kobold Trap Control Chair advice

ferratus

Adventurer
Hello all, I'm building an encounter in a trap filled dungeon that consists of a kobold trapmaker sitting in a chair covered in levers and buttons. On his initiative he pulls a shield down in front of himself, then activates various traps around the room while Dragonshield Minions keep adventurers away.

I was wondering if I should do this using the trap rules, or whether I should stat up the kobold trapmaker and his trapped room in one stat block as a controller.

Rechan

Adventurer
I was wondering if I should do this using the trap rules, or whether I should stat up the kobold trapmaker and his trapped room in one stat block as a controller.

I would honestly stat him up as a controller. Creating Zones (traps that remain active in an area as long as he sustains a minor), traps that push into dangerous areas (Spiked covered walls?), and potent one-shot traps (if you insist on more, go for recharge), and something that does status effects; I can see a spike-floor trap that slows a target (bleeding feet).

My only advice is to avoid a pit. The trap article talks about not keeping players "sitting out" during a climactic fight.

I would stat him out as a solo boss (or at least an Elite) one level below the party. He should have an immediate power (a trap that guards the chair from melee guys). The shield protecting him represents the majority of his HP. You can then sprinkle minions and one or two REAL traps into the encounter.

Last edited:

Syrsuro

First Post
My only advice is to avoid a pit. The trap article talks about not keeping players "sitting out" during a climactic fight.

Pits are fine. Just make sure you have the rules they will need to climb out handy when you play. If the walls are climbable, the pit becomes a trap with a heavy controller effect (player is taken out of action for a couple of rounds while they climb out, but player is still active in the game). In fact, it could be argued that a pit leads to less "sitting out" than, for example, a stun effect, because they can use some powers while down in the pit and can work on climbing out, while a stun reduces them to nothing but rolling saves at the end of their turn.

Carl

Remove ads