Random Treasure Generator (Version 2 now available)

Appleseeth

First Post
It's finally done. The Random Treasure Generator is here! The complete list of treasure from the PH is in there, and it will generate parcels from levels 1-30, party sizes 1-8, no problem. If you have any advice on how to improve the program, post here, and I'll see what I can do. I will be posting periodic data updates as well, as new material comes out.

If you want to know how to add your own items, send me an email, and I'll see if I can explain it to you.

Current Treasure Sources: Player's Handbook, [/COLOR][/COLOR]Dragon 365 "Bazaar of the Bizarre", Adventurer's Vault, Dragon 369 "Bazaar of the Bizarre", Buck-a-Batch Magic Armor, Adventurer's Vault 2 playtest, Manual of the Planes, Player's Handbook 2.

Update November 14th, 2008: Version 2.3 is now online. A few bugs fixed, some functionality added, such as select/deselect all options for the item types and sources. The biggest addition though is that consumable items from the Adventurer's Vault have now been integrated into parcel generation system. Don't be afraid to let me know if anything looks weird or doesn't work.
[/COLOR]

The program can be found here: Dark Tales and Good Times | 50 Foot Divine Suplex. Just go to the bottom of the page and you'll see the link under the heading "Random Treasure Generator"

Last edited by a moderator:

wagenejm

First Post
XML files can be easily edited in Notepad, though I recommend downloading and using Notepad++, because it can handle code formatting of all kinds, including XML.

Orcus Porkus

First Post
Gives out mostly armor...

I tested it for 1st level party, 5 members, and it seems to heavily lean towards certain armor only.

On a related note: Are you planning to turn this app into some kind of random shop inventory as well? I think you mentioned then plan.

Appleseeth

First Post
I tested it for 1st level party, 5 members, and it seems to heavily lean towards certain armor only.

Sorry, I guess I forgot to mention that it only holds armor at this point. As I said before, I'm still filling in all the items and such. By the end of today, I may have all the gold/gem/art parcels filled in. Then I'll get working on the magic items.

Good to know it is working for other people though.

This is pretty dang cool, thanks for all the hard work so far and ongoing. I do have an observation though. I see in the parens that it says after an item that "player's handbook" is listed twice. Perhaps either delete the second mention of it, or put a page # in there instead?

Also wondering if you will try to keep it updated as new magical items, weapons, and equipment come out via WOTC publications?

If I knew XML, I'd help you out to get this stuff done.

Appleseeth

First Post
Thanks for the tip Traveon, I guess being close to the project I never noticed that I just put the sourcebook in there and never made any mention of it. I'll make it more clear in the next release, which should be tonight. The reason its in there twice is because one is for the weapon/armor, and the second is for the magic item stuff. It looks silly now, but once there's items from multiple sourcebooks it should be a godsend. I'm thinking ahead. I'm not too concerned about page numbers because everything is so concentrated in the books right now. If I or someone else put in some random magic item from some random book that only has that item, I would suggest putting in the page number as well.

As far as new stuff goes, I'm still haven't quite decided on an update plan yet. I'd obviously need to have access to the material to be able to add it myself. I think what is likely is I'll have the basic Player's Handbook stuff in the original release zip file, then an updated set in another zip that people can download and overwrite the old ones.

Does anyone have a better plan?

Oh, and pretty much right away I'll be adding in the items from that Dragon article from issue 365 "Bazaar of the Bizarre: Ashardalon". Everyone has access to that.

Last edited:

Asmor

First Post
I've got the names, levels, sources, and page numbers for all the magic items (not counting artifacts) from the PHB, Dungeon, Dragon, and other books and adventures in a MySQL database for use with my Treasure Trove. If there's any (relatively simple) way I can help, I'd be happy to. For example, I'd be happy to give you a dump of the tables if that would help you.

Appleseeth

First Post
Unfortunately Asmor, you're a little late to the game. It would probably take longer for me to reformat the table dump than to finish off the rest of the PH myself. Unless of course, you could dump them into an XML file, formated like I have them (in the Treasure folder).

Actually, a dump from the Bazaar article might be useful. I can see what I could do with that. It shouldn't be too hard to write a Perl script to transform the data. Just send it to my email address.

As an update, I'm currently just finished Rods. I'm going in the order they are presented in the PH.

Last edited:

Remove ads