Let's read the entire run

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
The Dragon Issue 37: May 1980

Dragon rumbles is presented by jake this issue, as tim has quit to get a new job. No, there's nothing acrimonious about the split, he's just tired and just wants to try new things. (is that true, or were there backstage shenanigans we're not hearing about?)

This is unofficial as I am not Tim Kask and I never worked for TSR. I talked to Tim Kask last June about his leaving. He said he loved the magazine and he loved Gary, but he could not stand the Blumes and one of their wives. She would come and give him advice on how to run his magazine and also suggest that Tim, Gary, and others not drink alcohol during conventions because of the lack of professionalism that showed. They did so anyway, but such things showed Tim how much increasing control the Blumes had in the company. He wasn't a big fan of being told what to do, so he left the company. One of the things he was promised for his work was to get a lifetime subscription to Dragon, but that didn't last long. Gary told him before he died that one of the Blumes decided to take him off the lifetime subscription list as a 'cost saving measure'. Most likely it was because of a confrontation that Tim had with the wife at the time. He missed out on meeting Frank Mentzer as Frank was coming in at the time and took Tim's place as one of Gary's confidants. Frank and Tim are now very good friends and talk often of what might have been with hindsight.

Hussar

Legend
(un)reason, might I make a suggestion. Paizo has scanned images for almost all the covers for these magazines. You might want to toss a link up. Just a thought.

The cover for Issue 37:

cover_180.jpg

(un)reason

Legend
The Dragon Issue 37: May 1980

part 2/2

Simulation corner: Talk of the development of randomisers as a means of adding possibilities to wargames. Interesting as it notes that dice other than 6 siders are still considerably harder and more expensive to get hold of. Also in that the concept of dice pool as binary curve generator rather than roll and add seems to not have occurred to them yet. Another bit of historical minutinae that gives me a better impression of how things have developed in recent years.

Leomunds tiny hut: The Monties. Another potshot at Jim Ward, presenting a pantheon based upon the events therin. Ironically enough, these guys are less overpowered than the average deity. Len, you just don't get it, do you? Well, he invents the tiny hut, while mordenkainen creates the magnificent mansion. I guess thinking small comes naturally to him. ;)

Miniature Spotlight: Instructions on how to make your own spears and lances using just little bits of wire, basic tools, and some paint. If you've mastered basic miniature painting, this looks like a good way to branch out and try something a bit more complicated.

Up on a soapbox: Talk of magic as a science, and magic-users as researchers in the field. And of course how to ensure it doesn't just become another bit of the mundane, predictable physics of the universe. Which involves allowing chaotic characters having a natural instinctive understanding of how magic works that allows them to keep up with and surpass their more lawful counterparts. Another eyerolling inducing article that doesn't really add anything to the game.

Armies of the Renaissance: Part 6, Landsknecht and Reiters. Nick Nascati continues his little potted histories on the wars of that period. Having exhausted countries, he turns to one of the prominent mercenary companies of the era. Another pretty blah article.

Squad Leader part 2, large scale streetfighting: A second article expanding on last months one, and giving tactical advice for it. Another short, sweet and effective article.

Spell research, the hard way: Oh, not another one of these. Go away, annoying nerfers. :waves hand: We do not want more pointless bureaucracy and expense attached to the process of developing new cool powers.

Libraries: Players want to look in a library and you haven't prepared details on every book in the world? Use the same solution they always used back then. Roll it randomly. :) Another one to add to the list of still useful today articles to plunder.

Eye of the dragon: Yay, a new regular feature. This is where they look at new releases and happenings. TSR has UK offices now, Tekumel has been sold to Gamescience (what's the betting we'll see far fewer articles for it from this point on) and avalon hill are making computer games. I look forward to getting a better picture of what going on in gaming through this.

Giants in the Earth: No particular characters detailed in this issue. We get a statement that they're not going to do characters from LotR here, because the flamewars they'd have to deal with for not doing it right, no matter how they did it, would be too much bother to deal with. They also talk about the difference between D&D and AD&D levels in terms of actual power and in game position, in which AD&D levels above 8 or so count as around 2.5 D&D levels. And finally, they give lots of suggestions for future articles. Which is interesting, because its a taking stock situation that gives us insight into the way they think. I still disagree with many of their design decisions though.

Frederick Macknight is still waffling on about his houserules. Bored now. Make it go away.

Mapping the dungeons II: This is only 4 pages long this time, thank god, with only the new additions. I guess not that many people want to advertise for players in here.

Reviews: This is a rather short column this issue. We have Pearl Harbor, a strategy game. Magic Wood (don't laugh) a boardgame. And Belter, a game of war, diplomacy and economics set in the asteroid belt in the future. As a big Larry Niven fan, I say yay to them for trying to make playable a topic as sophisticated as that. But unfortunately the reviewer seems less than enthralled with the execution. Oh well. Those are the risks of trying something different. Often it's hard to accomplish.

Bazaar of the Bizarre: A bunch of magic items I don't remember. Yefars magic mirrors, the rod of singing, and the discus shield. Two are exceedingly useful, one is cursed and a right pain in the ass. Can you guess which one?

Dragons Bestiary: Vulturehounds. Another one of those lovely D&D hybrids that is exactly what you'd expect. A dog with vultures wings, talons and head, they can be trained, and are worth quite a lot if you do so. One of the more sensible monsters around, in ecological terms.

Dragonmirth is back.

How to tell if you're in or out of love: That old chessnut of GM favouritism towards your significant other gets a lighthearted look at here (only of course it's not an old chessnut yet) And of course they automatically assume that the man will be the GM :rolleyes: I was never a fan of those twee Love Is comic thingies (what's the technical term for one frame comics, as strip seems inappropriate) anyway, so forgive me if I don't laugh.

Jasmine, by Darlene: And once again, we see the way they pick their letters and articles to complement one-another. Somewhere between fiction and comic, this new story is so blatantly an attempt to appeal more to the female demographic that it's funny. A princess as the protagonist, check. Soft pastel colours, Check. No-one understands me and my visions, check. A handsome prince, check. Lets just hope the story can transcend the cliches in later issues, otherwise my eyes will be doing much revolving in the near future.

And finally, another 16 full page module, The pit of the Oracle. One of those modules that gives you a small village, a dungeon, a host of plot hooks, and sets the players free to roam and solve those problems. Which I have no objection to at all, as no railroading is involved, and if they players want, they can bugger off to try something else elsewhere.

A fairly significant issue, given the change in staff, two new regular features, a general increase in social awareness, and the reveal of lots of upcoming products. And I get the impression that with Tim's departure, more things are likely to change in the next few issues, as his influence disappears, and Mohan becomes ever more significant to the running of the magazine. Interesting times indeed.

(un)reason

Legend
The Dragon Issue 38: June 1980

Part 1/2

74 pages. A particularly amusing cover painting this issue, combining obvious attempt at sexing it up, with bad hair and somewhat incongrous facial expressions. Plus John Barnes ought to sue the creators of he-man for plaglarism. This isn't right, not right at all.

cover_180.jpg

In this issue:

Dragon Rumbles: The company changes it's name from TSR periodicals to Dragon publishing, in an attempt to further separate themselves from their parent company. We also have a new addition to the staff, and Kim is compiling an index to every issue of the magazine so far. How nice of him. So things are chugging away nicely, not standing still, but not changing too fast either at the moment.

Out on a limb: A letter from Gary "correcting" lots of recent articles. Four letters on the subject of overpowered characters and peoples different opinions on how to keep the game fun despite them. And a letter praising them for publishing errata for their books in a fairly timely fashion. When are they going to get those twinks under control?

Fiction: The cup of golden death, by Gardner F Fox. The 7th niall story, and the 3rd this year. They seem to have decided that he's in demand, so we get more of him. The deific manipulations continue, and we get to see some more of the politics of his world.

Leomunds tiny hut: Talk of dragons. As with his stuff on gods recently, these are generally more power-ups to make them more trouble for players to face. It also includes brown, orange and yellow dragons, (none of which are the same species that would appear in future products, weirdly enough) and a new set of stats for tiamat, now in her familiar 5 heads, 1 for each major chromatic dragon type, form. Another rather underwhelming article. Why did he get to be one of the major columnists of this period?

The Fantasysmiths notebook: Two different articles under this ageis this issue. Talk of the founding of a new award, the Fantasysmith Wings. And more tips for customising your miniatures, with pictures of how to turn your miniatures into frankensteinian constructs without looking too obviously piecemeal.

Which way is up?: A further expansion on the possibilities of tesseract dungeons, and their escheresque properties. Even a tiny area becomes an enormous dungeoneering prospect when each room can be encountered from 6+ different orientations. This is awesome. If only it were easier to map though.

The rasmussen files: After being advertised 3 months ago. Top secret gets it's first article. with talk of how it was written, and came to be published. As is often the case it's a story of persistence, with the writer sending regular submissions of his ideas for years before being published. Take that in mind. No matter how good your ideas are, if you don't have the persistence to keep spreading them when they're ignored or criticized, they'll never reach their full potential.

Minarian Legends: The history of mivior. More Divine Right goodness for those of you who like their boardgames with extensive setting history.

From the sorcerers scroll: Just because you're good, doesn't mean you have to act stupid. And the same applies to evil guys too. (not that you'd know it from the cartoons of the era) In amongst the common sense stuff, this also features the classic statement that the best thing for paladins to do with goblinoids is to give them a swordpoint conversion, and then kill them so they can go to heaven before they backslide. Oh, and female dwarves definitely have beards. Ahh, gary gary gary. Always the idiosyncratic ideologue. What are we to do with you?

Its about time: Tactical advice for 4th dimension. Damn, this is making me want to play the game, as despite being a small area, it looks like the amount of emergent tactics are quite considerable. A pretty good article.

The seven magical planets: One of those extensive lists of real world magical correspondences. Obviously not useful unless playing in the real world or something close. Now, when will Ed Greenwood publish something similar for Toril's solar system? ;) That'd be far more interesting.

Last edited:

(un)reason

Legend
(un)reason, might I make a suggestion. Paizo has scanned images for almost all the covers for these magazines. You might want to toss a link up. Just a thought.
Hmm. Not a bad idea. On consideration, I think I'll do it when I have cause to comment upon the cover, but not otherwise. I don't want to be too big a bandwidth theif, and it's not as if they're that hard to find if you're interested.

Jhaelen

First Post
The Gem dragons! Finally, neutrality gets it's own set of iconic dragons. They have the same iconic traits that they maintain all through the editions, Relatively low physical power, but high intelligence and charisma, and kickass psionic abilities. Includes their own singular high end badass to complement Bahamut and Tiamat, Sardior the ruby dragon. Who I don't remember seeing before, so he must not have caught on. But the dragon deities in 2nd ed were more interesting anyway.
Sardior made a reappearance in the Mind's Eye article series on 3E psionics. There even was a prestige class for worshippers. I wouldn't have guessed Sardior had been conceived that early!

Orius

Legend
Can't wait for the review of the next issue...Dragon #39 is one of the well-known issues. Crit tables, anti-paladin, oh yes.

(un)reason

Legend
The Dragon Issue 38: June 1980

Part 2/2

Frederick Macknight finally finishes his series on a slightly higher note, with an interestingly S&Sish 20 questions puzzle.

It's the little things that count: A funny story of using magical shrinking mirrors of opposition and geases to create tons of pint sized high level magic-users for sale. The kind of thing that the rules would never let you get away with nowadays. Still, I'm sure we'll find new broken rules exploits to mess the setting up with.

Spelling out a strategy for hostile magic-users: An update of the system in TD19 for AD&D. As the number of spells has increased and isn't the same for every level, they move into percentiles. Of course, even that wouldn't be enough for modern days. Obviously, you need to apply common sense to the results here, so enemies don't use useless spells in combat. Still, a little randomness can make sure players don't become too able to predict your monster's tactics.

An advert for tunnels and trolls. I know its been out for a bit, but nice to see they have the money to advertise here now. Along with the request for more variety in articles from last issue, hopefully we'll be seeing some stuff for this game here soon.

Simulation corner: Talk about the founder of avalon hill, Charles Roberts, and the award he lent his name too, the charlies. As ever, accusations of fixing and favouratism bedevil them. Such is the nature of awards. Hopefully they'll be able to convince people of their integrity in the future.

The electric eye: Text and ascii games, multi platform programming and strategy games get a look at. We're finally getting into subjects that assume a reasonable level of computer awareness. Which means they rapidly become impenetrable, because the specifics of how computers work has changed a lot over the years. Still I'll soon figure it out. And of course as we get closer to the present, this'll become less of a problem anyway

Reviews: Only one review this issue, that of Freedom in the galaxy. It is, however an extremely long and extensive one, by someone who is obviously thoroughly enamored with the game. Designed to model the theme of star wars, with a wider strategic scope and potential for lots of different scenarios, it seems to live up to this reviewer's expectations. And who am I to begrudge that?

Dragons bestiary: The Flolite. Little strength draining tentacled glowing lights that live in deserts, and occupy the same ecological niche will o the wisps do in marshes. As is often the case, their body parts can be harvested to the benefit of adventurers. An entry full of cool little bits of flavour.

Jasmine continues, in changelingesque fashion. Fineous fingers restarts, introducing a new character, and promptly putting him in serious trouble.

And we get another full game. Ringside, a boxing simulator, by Brian Blume. Feel like pitting Muhammed ali against Mike Tyson or Rocky. Go for it. A simple game that still has quite a bit of tactical thought involved and the potential for extended play of a fighters career. This definitely goes on the list of things from here I'd like to try at some point.

Another mixed issue, with both good and bad stuff aplenty. Still, the increases in size and scope of the issues mean that there should be at least some good articles every issue. Particularly nice is the decision to experiment with non D&D adventures and games some more. Hopefully we'll be seeing more of that in the future.

almuric

First Post
#38 is the first issue I remember owning/buying. I remember the Ringside game, because they gave Rocky Marciano straight 5's for his stats and no-one else got all 5's. Damned if I can remember what the stats were. (And this was pre-Mike Tyson. He might have gotten all 5's from people making his stats when he was crushing everyone, but post-Buster Douglas, he'd probably have gotten some 3's. Heh.) I'll have to dig out my copies out of whatever box they're in in the basement. Maybe I'll kibitz your reviews. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases