Let's read the entire run

(un)reason

Legend
Dragon Issue 288: October 2001

part 2/7

Previews: And again with the format changes, to a slightly more conventional appearance. The degree of color used is still massively up though. With the current software, it really is no bother to have it on every page.

First up is Oriental Adventures, another big release. James Wyatt follows in Zeb Cook's footsteps, and manages to imbue it with the same degree of compulsive readability, (at least IMO) despite the quite substantial differences. L5R continues to make it's mark in multiple ways. There's also Enemies and Allies. More stuff to save time, in creating characters, along with all the adventures they release. Money=Convenience.

One novel for each surviving gameline this time. Greyhawk draws upon their old modules again for Queen of the Demonweb pits by Paul Kidd. I don't think they've had an original thought in their heads since they brought back this gameline in '98. The Realms also continues to do what works with Sea of Swords, the latest instalment in the adventures of Drizzt and Wulfgar. Be ready for more cool action sequences, and quite possibly brooding. And Krynn shows us the sideways perspectives on the war of souls in The Search for Magic, another collection of short stories edited by Weis and Hickman. Yup. Formula formula formula.

Up on a soapbox: Even back in the old school era, Gary wasn't averse to a little PvP, and having them develop their own goals and challenges. After all, it'll take the pressure off a bit from constantly sketching newer, deeper levels to Castle Greyhawk, and get people into the roles of their characters. And using your spells creatively is to be encouraged as well. So this is a fairly amusing little actual play story that works in favor of the sandbox playstyle. You give them open-ended options, and they'll reward you by doing surprising things with them. And hopefully that'll give you good stories to tell to other people as well. And everybody's happy except the people who lose at PvP. Hopefully they'll learn to take the joke, and give as good as they got next time.

Dork tower has an attack of squarehead stretchmouth. Oy cherubima.

Ooh. An actual RPG advert. White wolf manages to get their Sword and sorcery books in, along with some good reviews. Flying the flag for d20, and creating a new campaign setting along the way.

Four faces of death: Last month, they showed us 4 different variants of the plane of dreams. This time, they start us off with 4 very different takes on gods of death from various real world cultures. India's Yama. China's Decemvirate of judges. Persia's Ahriman, and voodoo's Baron Samedi. Another good reminder how having one true answer to a question can be restricting, and certain concepts are big enough to be examined again and again from different angles, and reveal something fresh each time. Sex, death and dreams certainly qualify for this, (and they've never done a romance themed issue yet, have they. ) and it's very interesting to see how the culture a god comes from affects it's aspects. Still, the amount of new mechanical information here is tiny, and most of this stuff has turned up before in official D&D books, as well as being easily researchable elsewhere, so this isn't a particularly innovative article. It reinforces their current toolkitty attitude, but doesn't break new ground much. Guess Jesse hasn't had the chance to change things around yet. Still, this would definitely please a new reader more than it does me.

Plots & Schemes: Ah yes, murder mysteries and other detective stories. As last covered in issue 240, where they wound up mostly giving examples rather than advice. Guess it's time to try again, and see if we can do better. This time, the answer's a pretty definite yes, with a fairly long, nicely organised, and interestingly laid out article, that looks at common plot elements and ideas, and also goes into quite a bit of detail on what not to do if you want to create a mystery story that your players can actually solve, and feel they got a fair challenge while doing so. It's all too easy to make your puzzles impossible to solve if you don't give the right kind of descriptive detail, or make the players feel like they only managed to accomplish anything due to luck/railroading. So it's full of good advice for a roleplaying game where the rules are supposed to stay consistent enough for players to understand and exploit them, and have a good idea what would be possible and impossible in world, even if it wouldn't in reality. Which I suppose fits in with the 3e style, even if it isn't the best ruleset for detective games in many other ways. Surely there's a D20 variant out there that further supports this playstyle. Hell, even d20 modern would make it much harder to take the plot breaking divinations for granted. So I'm still not sure about the wisdom of doing detective stories in D&D, but this article is a definite improvement on previous attempts to get us to try it.

Sanglorian

Adventurer

First up is Oriental Adventures, another big release. [...]

Up on a soapbox: Even back in the old school era, Gary wasn't averse to a little PvP, and having them develop their own goals and challenges. [...]

Four faces of death: Last month, they showed us 4 different variants of the plane of dreams. This time, they start us off with 4 very different takes on gods of death from various real world cultures. [...]

Plots & Schemes: Ah yes, murder mysteries and other detective stories. [...]

I loved Oriental Adventures when I bought it back in the day. I'm not sure if it would still impress me in the same way; the name is certainly cringeworthy.

I thought the story of the Great Stone Face that Gygax told was terrific, and a great reminder that the DM doesn't need to know every detail about his or her campaign setting.

I enjoyed the Four Faces of Death article. Too many death gods are the hackneyed skeleton in a black robe. I don't think giving real-world gods domains and alignments was helpful or necessary, but the article definitely trumped getting yet another prestige class.

I agree that Plots and Schemes is a brilliant article too, and I really like the layout (I know others found it tacky, and I can see why).

(un)reason

Legend

part 3/7

Master Villains: Confusingly, this runs on alternating columns in the same pages as the previous article, which I didn't notice on first reading. I expect that kind of mucking around on the letters pages, but not later on in the magazine. Still, it complements it's counterpart, so I can see why they did it. It provides more examples of how to create interesting villains, and has surprisingly little overlap with the similar advice last issue in the DM's toolbox. While less analytical and organised than that, this has some more inventive ideas to make the players more emotionally invested in fighting the villain, and quite possibly conflicted as well. The reasons that people become enemies can be strange sometimes, and the people you trust most can become the bitterest enemies. Watch out in particular for people who say they've redeemed themselves. Chances are, they'll backslide at some point, because the laws of drama love stuff like that. So this is a pretty good article that loses a mark for annoying formatting.

Unhallowed ground: Adventures in a graveyard? Sounds like fun to me. There's certainly room for plenty of interesting encounters in a place like that. Still, it'll differ quite a bit from a dungeon because you have tons of freedom to go off the path and explore in any direction, and the ground is uneven and packed with interesting little obstacles. Plus in the real world, graveyards are ironically one of the places most packed with natural life in a mostly urban environment. There's plenty of room for animal encounters and other people as well as the stereotypical undead, and it's easy to insert new features onto the map and say they were always there, you just didn't notice them in the last trip. So this is a damn good idea, that curiously enough, they haven't done before in the magazine despite all the stuff on the dead, undead and resurrection.

Dungeons in Disguise: Another little article on investigative games, and how to make them work. Just reskin dungeon crawls, with the walls replaced by obstructive NPC's, and keys by clues. Ok, you don't have to be that literal, but creating a good flowchart for your adventure will help you remember what the obvious options are, and what the players can do to accomplish them. That definitely makes a fair whack of sense. Just don't get hung up on it when the players come up with an idea that isn't on your list. This feels a bit fillerish really, mainly notable because we're once again seeing the idea of reskinning promoted and starting to catch on. I suppose once you've introduced a universal resolution mechanic, the idea of applying the same principles to different but analogous situations is a much smaller conceptual leap. History ticks onwards.

Tag team terror: The whole of last year, they've been doing things like the Power Plays and Class Combos, to encourage players to get into the optimisation state of mind and look for the most awesome synergies possible with a set number of resources. Well, it must have worked, because now it's time to raise the game, do the same with the monsters. What combinations of two different types of monsters wind up punching well above their CR, even if it's counterintuitive to have them working together? Well this is a fun topic to explore. This lists 20 ideas in rough order of deadliness, from a werwolf with a pet rust monster to nom the silver weapons of any attackers, right up to the red dragon with iron golem servants which'll be healed if caught in it's breath weapon (the lich with the tarrasque trapped in it's phylactery and released when you destroy it doesn't really count as you don't fight them both at the same time. ) Some have templates or class levels just to really take advantage of these synergies. So this is pretty fun and imaginative stuff, encouraging the DM to be inventive and interestingly adversarial in the challenges they throw at their players. Give them something they'll remember, something that'll make them laugh when they first see it, and cry when they get their asses kicked. The age of Encounter-centric play approaches, and like most of these waves of fashion, the first bits are fun, different and refreshing, which explains why they catch on and get driven into the ground by unimaginative bandwagon jumpers after a reliable formula for profit. So this is a really cool article, introducing a really cool idea, and I wonder how long it'll take for it to lose it's shine, like location based dungeon crawls and metaplot heavy campaign settings before it. Oh well, they won't ruin this's classic position.

(un)reason

Legend

part 4/7

Class acts: From Lifebearer, to Lifedrinker. Or, how to make your vampire even more vampiric. Yeah, I very much doubt we'll be seeing many PC's take this one. This one would later appear in the book of vile darkness, and is incredibly easy to get into if you're a vampire. It's essentially a racial paragon class, giving them new uses for the blood they drain, and generally making them even more badass. Because it's powers are so dependent on the amount they've fed recently, it's one that is scary when facing properly prepared NPC's, but might be a problem for PC's going through multiple encounters in a day anyway. So I guess it's well designed for it's job then.

Cities of the ages: Baghdad? Now there's a city that's definitely seen better days. Time was, it was one of THE cultural centres of the world, a crossroads where east and west could exchange ideas and goods. Now? Decades of dictatorship and a poorly managed "liberation" have not been kind to it's economic position or it's ancient buildings. But of course, we're not looking at modern day baghdad, but the legendary one as shown in the 1,001 nights tales. Which is has to be said, was pretty interesting and full of room for adventures. So there's a lot of emphasis on the 8th century set of characters, their interrelations and things they got up too. Between the sultan, his vizier, his wives, guards, clerics, etc, there's a pretty headache inducing amount of politics, and since none of them have alignments listed, who exactly the good and bad guys are is up to you. The maps aren't as impressive as in previous instalments though, and I suspect accurate streetmaps that far back are pretty much nonexistent. So I guess this is one for people who prefer their roleplaying over dungeon crawling, and aren't afraid to go up against things way above their CR and win through trickery. Fairly interesting, really.

Elminsters guide to the realms: The rustic illustrations work particularly well this month, as we detail an interesting little inn full of ne'er do wells and the remnants of their contraband deals. There's a secret passage, a whole load of interesting items, and of course the magical precautions that keep PC's from just slaughtering the owner and running roughshod over the whole thing. After all, you really think a hive of scum and villainy wouldn't have had to deal with high level characters getting rowdy before? Not sure how effective a swarm of crawling claws would actually be in play, but it'd definitely make people think twice. I'm not entirely sold on the mechanical side of this, but the flavour is up to Ed's usual high standard. More mid-level characters to keep the players engaged but not overwhelmed is definitely a good thing here.

Bazaar of the Bizarre: Vampire Slayers Toolbox. A pretty promising title, and a theme we haven't had before. Blame Buffy for bringing the focus back on people who hunt the undead, rather than the sexy sexy vampires themselves. Strahd'll probably still survive no matter what you throw at him, but lesser vamps have been mookified quite a bit in the new edition. So let's see what we have to help us get our stake on.

The Deitus Daggers not only burnses vampires with their radiated light, but break a master's hold on their spawn when they hit. Occasionally, they'll even bring them back to life instead of killing them. Truly a panoply of mercies. I very much likey.

The Silver Collars of Adrentius prevent vampires from turning to gas and escaping when hurt too much. You get this on them and kill them, they stay dead.

The Coffin Clamps of Aziell Moonchild have a rather less pleasant history, since they're more deadly against creatures that still need to breathe. Vampires may be trapped in or out, but you'll still have to figure out how to kill them later.

Barthon's Delving Doves are awesome returning magical arrows that are designed to take out scuttling climbing things. This of course includes vampires using spider climb. The visuals are great too.

Heart Tracker is a crossbow that naturally stakes vampires. It can immobilise several in a round no trouble if the wielder is good. Buffy would once again be proud. No way you could do that in either world of darkness.

Holy Bone Shackles (batman) trap undead and kill them with reasonable rapidity. In the meantime, you can give them a good examination. Careful you don't turn into a monster yourself in the process.

The Breastplate of Righteous Endeavours is slightly less impressive, enabling you to cast a collection of your usual buffing and shielding spells. Still, it's hardly weak, just not as cool as the previous items. Your players should still welcome it.

(un)reason

Legend

part 5/7

Nodwick has another attack of continuity. Oughta get that looked at by a doctor, or else it could turn into a full-blown case of metaplot before you know it.

Chainmail: So how does the D&D minis game differ from regular D&D, if the statistics are pretty much interchangable? The devil's in the details, as usual. Initiative is rolled for the whole group on a per round basis rather than individually and cyclically, not all your pieces get to act every turn, and there's a whole new set of tactical options based around the leader pieces controlling the regular members of the army, and morale for all sides, reflecting that not every creature you control is actually a PC, and your role as a player is more detached. So it trades off complexity in some areas for more in others, and actually has quite a few old school elements that regular 3e got rid of. That's very interesting, and makes it almost an alternate 3.1 or 2.9th edition which is better suited to handling large groups where each player controls multiple characters. My interest grows, as morale rules were one of the things I definitely missed in 3 & 4e. This looks like it has lots of potential for plundering and mixing & matching parts to customise your regular 3e games. I wonder if it'll get many supplements before fading away.

Forum: Kraig Hausmann looks at Hades' place in greek mythology and finds that he was not a popular dude at all. Anyone who puts nearly all souls in a position of endless tedious low-grade misery regardless of how good or bad they were in life doesn't sound like a nice person to me.

Morgan Vergara thinks that while rangers may not be the most powerful class, that's no reason not to take it. Concept should be more important than min-maxing. Another very familiar statement.

Daniel Bates makes a facepalming misinterpretation of druid's wildshaping abilities when trying to justify why some people would pick ranger over druid. Sorry, another bit of fail here.

Peter Jones finds it ridiculous that people are complaining about gratuitous violence in a game where killing things and taking their stuff is integral. Particularly when the real difference is the visible blood. It's like Mortal Kombat recolouring the gore green to get around the censors. Some people are just pointlessly pedantic or don't want to confront the realities of what they're imagining doing.

Chad Riley finds it embarrassing that some people are so threatened by feminine pronouns getting equal time. You are not going to get cooties just from reading books just because of their choice of descriptors.

Geoff Davey wants to play good characters, while the rest of his group want to be bad guys. Sounds like you need to get'cha'self a new group there sonny. What we have here is a conflict of playstyles.

Matthew Stagg joined in on introducing role-playing to the younger generation. It was a resounding success. You've just gotta make sure the first adventure is fun to hook them.

The play's the thing: Robin goes into filler territory again, talking about various combinations of high and low ability scores, and how they ought to be roleplayed. That's the kind of thing we've seen before, and anyone can come up with a couple of pages of waffle on. I've done it, the editors have done it, you can do it too. Given the granularity of ability scores in D&D, and the quantity of characters people have played over the years, you could get so many takes on this that they become meaningless. And it's left incomplete so he can spread talking about various ability combos over multiple issues. This could turn into padding on an epic scale if he doesn't come up with more ideas soon. Not impressed.

Jhaelen

First Post
Well this is a fun topic to explore. This lists 20 ideas in rough order of deadliness, from a werwolf with a pet rust monster to nom the silver weapons of any attackers, right up to the red dragon with iron golem servants which'll be healed if caught in it's breath weapon
Reminds of one of my 3e encounters featuring Will-o-Wisps and and Shambling Mounds - very nasty.

When the pcs in my 3e game reached level 10+ I felt it was obligatory to search for such synergies in order to still challenge them (at least from time to time).

(un)reason

Legend

part 6/7

Sage advice: Can you stack soulknife and rogue sneak attack bonuses (yes)

When do soulknifes get imbed power and mind blade (2nd level)

How does embedding psionic attacks work? (exactly as it would normally)

What effect do sever life and knife to the soul have on nonpsionic creatures (Stunning. Meh.)

How does the ability bonus from animal affinity interact with the stacking rules. (It changes your base score. Other bonuses apply to that base normally.)

Can savants find and disable magic traps (Depends on your cosmological underpinnings )

Do maximized creatures get max hit points (no)

How does body feeder work. Does it stack (It stacks with itself, but nothing else, I'm afraid.)

What psionic items require psionics to use (Ones that give points, or require you to give mental commands. No know, no show.)

How much info does druids nature sense give. Do fungi, oozes, etc count as plants. (About as much as an encyclopedia entry. No)

Can you detect evil on characters as well as creatures. (The words are interchangable. You are drawing distinctions that do not exist. )

What's mental control ( Duh. Charms and ongoing compulsions.)

Will protection from evil block mind affecting spells from other schools (no.)

Can paladins and rangers use wands of cure light wounds (yes, but not for the reason you think. Metaphysics strikes again! )

Can you memorize metamagic enhanced domain spells (Yes. Skip apologizes for the implication it is otherwise.)

What does red wizard's enhanced specialization do (See the rest of the prestige class)

If you're a multiclassed archmage, can you use the powers with both spellcasting classes (Yes. Good luck getting that high without being seriously suboptimal.)

What are the rules for clerics in the forgotten realms (Remember the one step rule. That's all folks. )

Do FR characters get all the stuff in their entries, or do they have to choose (Read the descriptions. Ed's stuff is generally pretty self-explanatory.)

Can you have multiple persistent spells up (yes)

Can you make touch spells persistent (no)

Can wizards benefit from the bloodline of fire (No. Only sorcerers. You have not grasped what bloodlines mean in 3rd ed. You'll get plenty more chances afore it's out. )

Does thunder twin really boost all your charisma based skills (yes. Looks like FR is as munchkin friendly as ever. )

What are the benefits for having an underdark region origin. (None. Does not compute. Your depth above or below ground is irrelevant in region selection.)

How long does it take to trigger a rune (A standard action. Trigger and run.)

Are the planes in the FR book the real ones? What happened to the old cosmology. ( There is no longer one true cosmology. This is the FR cosmology and always has been. Pay no attention to where this makes the old books make no sense at all. If you don't like this one, another one'll be along in a few years to always have been, making even less sense. )

Where is the equator on torill ( In the ocean between the continent maps.)

Are the map scales right (No)

Is the riding lizard's carrying capacity right. (No. What?)

(un)reason

Legend

part 7/7

Silicon sorcery: Baldur's Gate again? When's Neverwinter going to show up, give them some 3e based games to draw from? I guess development times are pretty extensive these days. A year just isn't enough to really polish a product. But anyway. This time, we get the template for Bhaalspawn, so you can use one in your game as either a PC or antagonist. If a PC has it, it'll push the game in a decidedly WoDish direction, as you play a creature that has to constantly struggle against it's darker nature, and gains more powers, but also more self-control problems and social issues as you level up. Monsters will just be made even more able to rip you to shreds. Since it scales up as you level, it is probably worth the LA +2 adjustment, although a level 1, CR 3 thing would be rather fragile. Balance is a precarious thing, and the LA system is a blunt tool. I guess it'll come down to your charop skills to make these powers synergise with your level and feat choices.

PC Portraits: We go for a monstrous theme this month, with most of the portraits showing visible signs of undeath. Some are well preserved, some rotting, and some skeletal, but none of them look like a model of health. That doesn't mean they don't need love, and couldn't make a valuable adventuring companion. There's a lot to be said for having someone along who doesn't breathe, eat or sleep, even if they might have issues with clerics and easily spooked peasants. So any edition other than 3e, I could accuse this column of being a bit misnamed this month. As it is, it just reinforces their current permissive tendencies. Pick an odd race, stack up on the templates, multiclass into several obscure prestige classes, we don't mind at all. It's all just part of the character building fun they want to encourage at the moment. Just don't get caught eating brains in public, as that tends to make people uncomfortable.

Dungeoncraft: Ray finishes off his map key with the essentials of life. Food sources, merchants, temples, places for ordinary people to live, and mounts. (the fact that these mounts are giant pterosaurs is irrelevant. ;) ) While there may not be decent amenities by modern standards, the basics are there, and there's enough resources to get a group of adventures decently outfitted to go out and kick ass. As with most creative works, the last bit feels like it was done on perspiration rather than inspiration. We need this stuff, but it's hard to get excited about it. Still, once again, it does a good job of showing us the logistics that underpin the setting. The degree of safety they have here is precarious and hard-won, and one rampaging horde would ruin it for everyone. Are you going to defend it, or run off to explore and leave that responsibility to other people? Hopefully there'll be decent stories to tell whichever option you pick.

Namsco? I don't remember this? Another flop?

DM's toolbox: Another very cool idea in the toolbox this month. To get your players more involved, encourage them to fill out little details of the worldbuilding connected to their characters, or possibly just in general. It helps them invest in the world and remember things in a way that infodumps don't, it makes the world less homogenous, as it isn't all the product of one brain, it gives them something to exploit, and you can further reward them with XP or other cookies for doing so, which hopefully creates a positive feedback loop and encourages them to stick with the game and do this sort of thing again in the future. This is the kind of thing that I strongly approve of, and is only a problem if the players start getting competitive OOC, and the people who can't keep up get resentful of the more creative ones. You can frequently benefit from blurring the role between player and DM, and keeping people thinking about the game between sessions. I encourage you to try it, but also to be aware of it's pitfalls. Emotional investment and sharing the load good. Overcompetitiveness, (a life without competitiveness would be like a life without explosives :p ) bitchiness and burnout bad. Take that risk, go for the big payoff. It's only a game, after all.

Sunburn's a bitch in dragonmirth. What's new goes mindlessly throughout its familiar routine. Just like me, at this stage.

Not that much horror material this year, but the issue is all the stronger for it, once again having a very high batting average indeed. This has certainly been one of the smoothest editorial changeovers the magazine has managed, and shows them really getting the hang of 3e in general. How long will this quality boost last? Let's hope it's for a while yet. Next month please, waiter!

(un)reason

Legend
Dragon Issue 289: November 2001

part 1/7

132 pages. Oriental special time! One of the most popular optional books of 1e is back, and it's not doing too badly for itself this time either. Whether it'll get several more specials this edition due to the public sending in tons of submissions remains to be seen, but this is another topic that seems pretty promising, given the vast quantity of source material the writers have to draw upon. Let's hope this isn't a let-down.

Scan Quality: Excellent, indexed.

In this issue:

Wyrms turn: Another member of staff leaving? Yup, this time it's the art director who's heading off to pastures new. They may have improved the magazine a fair bit this year, but that doesn't mean it's not still a pressure cooker to work at, that gradually burns people out. This shakes my optimism coming into this issue a little bit. Still, let's hope this is handled as smoothly as Dave's departure, and the replacement doesn't start doing annoying things with the layout and art style. As long as you stagger the staff turnovers sufficiently, the whole continues uninterrupted, like any large organism. Eventually, everything can be changed, but it's still the same thing in principle. Let's hope I'll still be able to say that with the big changes to come.

Scale Mail: Our first letter praises the part of the DMG that shows you how to change the rules. People want to houserule, because one size does not fit all. As we've found from 4e and their change of tactics for 5e, trying to standardise everything alienates a lot of people. If you want a wide tent, your system and settings need to be flexible.

The second one points out just how good value for money a magazine subscription is, especially when compared to buying supplements. In fact, it's actually gotten better over time as well. And yet people are still more likely to allow stuff from the complete books than they are Dragon Articles. Funny, that.

Next we have someone who's finding the articles they're producing perfectly anticipate the needs of their game. Co-incidence, or mind-reading? I guess it doesn't really matter as long as it keeps working.

People continue to want more stuff from the magazine put up online. Once again, this is a slow process, but we know they'll get everything up eventually. Not that this'll please everyone in itself. WotC! Y U remove print versions?!

Planescape continues to have a fanatical following who are very happy to see the planes return, and want more stuff converted to 3e. I think we can safely say you'll be seeing more of that over the years. The new halflings, on the other hand, aren't so unanimously received. I don't think you're onto a winner there.

Also onto a loser are people who want to redistribute the magazine electronically on their webpages. The OGL may allow you to make new D&D compatible stuff, and distribute it widely, but direct copying of existing material without changing the names and wording will still get you C&D'd.

This month's pair of opposing letters are one from someone who's annoyed they completely stopped covering 2e cold, and is considering leaving, and someone who's recently been brought back, after a lengthy hiatus. It's true, they didn't have to make the cutoff so abrupt, after all, last time they tapered it over 3 whole years. Still, even with that, they're still picking up more people than they're losing at the moment. Would they have done even better if they'd kept supporting 2e, and possibly other systems as well? Oh for the ability to access alternate universes, and know for sure.

Another opposing pair are bitterly divided over the merits of the Shannara series, and it's statistical conversion & quality of artwork in issue 286. That issue is proving even more problematic than the historical ones.

Still, at least Chainmail seems to be getting a generally enthusiastic reception, with people wanting to see more of the setting ASAP. That's fairly pleasing. Some people still want to try new things.

Nodwick meets the most pitiful monster of all. An economics major. Yeah, like those could ever get a proper job in a D&D universe.

(un)reason

Legend
Dragon Issue 289: November 2001

part 2/7

Forum gets marginalised. No, really. Now it's just a little blue sidebar running parallel to the regular letters. This means it's getting considerably less page space and fewer contributors as well. They seem to be losing interest in debate. Or maybe it's us, not bothering to write in when we can get instant gratification on web forums. Hmm.

Brad Smith is tired of all the frickin' nitpickin'. Seems people these days want instant gratification more and more. If something's not useful to them now, they just throw it away, instead of storing it for a rainy day or looking for an unorthodox use for it. And if you can't take a picture with a little blood, you'd never cut it as a real adventurer! Get offa mah lawn!

Jon Mullenax thinks that is strength is more important than charisma or not very much depends on what kind of game you're playing. Technically true, but still a mixed message to send, which may have an underlying overall balance.

Previews is also reduced to a sidebar, and all the description is cut out. The health of this section is not particularly great. Still, I suppose we have the internet to get more info now. All it takes is a quick search.

Our big adventure is Deep Horizon. Skip Williams once again produces an utterly critically panned adventure with some bad bad joke items. Stick to sageing, ya twazzock. I don't know. :shakes head:

The Realms enjoys a supplement and a novel. Lords of Darkness helps you keep track of the all too many villainous groups spanning the Realms. With all the novels where the good guys win each time, you'd think someone'd manage to finish off at least one of them for good, but no, they keep proliferating. Speaking of novels, Black Wolf by Dave Gross takes us to Sembia, to spend a while in the life of someone infected by lycanthropy. It's a hard knock life.

Greyhawk continues making books based on old modules. Actually, this time, they don't even use a greyhawk module, but steal a Mystara one. What a load of cheek. Keep on the Borderlands is adapted by Ru Emmerson. Once again, reviews are mediocre to poor. They're scraping the bottom of this barrel now.

Dragonlance gets Chosen of the gods by Chris Pierson. Another prequel, we go back to the time of the Kingpriests. We can make this work. Or something. We know how this one ends.

Sunscale, the gryphon's legacy. Another early d20 product that sank without a trace, despite being from Wolfgang Baur, one of TSR's big writers in the 90's.

Up on a soapbox: It's important to remember that back in the old days, the rules were pretty fast and loose. This includes things like monster descriptions. Sure oozes and slimes are supposed to be mindless, but if it makes a story more fun for them to have at least animalistic learning capabilities, go for it. That's basically the moral of this month's story. What are you going to place more importance on? Strict adherence to the rules, or fudging things to make the story more interesting? Gary may have sold playing it strictly tournament style for a while in the early 80's, but I think over the course of his life, he spent more time doing what seemed cool at the time. It's always important to remember that the people who write (and repeatedly rewrite) the rules don't see them as immutable canon like some fans do. And while this may be problematic when dealing with politicians and CEO's, It may be good advice here. When the primary objective is fun, not verisimilitude or winning, flexibility is probably the way to go. Still, we maybe ought to do something about the tendency of wizards to be the stars of the show, and everyone else their entourage, which is another lesson we can take from this tale. Just because we can change the rules, doesn't mean we shouldn't try to make them as good as possible. Lots to debate here, and no real answers. Hopefully this'll keep the letters and forums busy.

Zogonia: Another little strip comic starts. Well, that's one way to break up a fight. Remember, violence is serious business in D&D, not some form of entertainment.

Dork tower fails to break out of its rut.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases