Let's read the entire run

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I have a question which might make you want to hit me... :cool:

Are you you planning on covering the other Dragon magazine compilations after Compendium, Vol. 1? Specifically, Dragon Monster Ecologies, The Art of Dragon Magazine (1988), and The Art of Dragon Magazine (2006)?

delericho

Legend

Are you you planning on covering the other Dragon magazine compilations after Compendium, Vol. 1? Specifically, Dragon Monster Ecologies, The Art of Dragon Magazine (1988), and The Art of Dragon Magazine (2006)?

Aren't those all entirely composed of reprints? (As opposed to the current Dragon Compendium, which does at least update some material.)

(un)reason

Legend
Dragon Compendium

part 9/10

MONSTERS: The monsters are another mix of new ones from the 3e issues, already done conversions, and new exclusive updates for this compilation. Obviously, I'm more interested in the stuff they're updating, as that took more work, and gives me more toys to play with. Who will their favourites in this department turn out to be?

Blackroot Marauders remind us that James Jacobs started giving us awesome monsters just before the 3e changeover, and they fully deserve to be updated and used along with the many others he's given us since. His distinctive flavour can definitely liven up a campaign.

Bleeders are one of the monsters that made it to official books in 2e, but only ever got updated to 3e in the magazine, and I have no idea why, since it seems pretty arbitrary. For all Ed's prestige, a fair few of his articles still wound up on the chopping board over the years.

Bodak templates still seem like a decent enough addition to 3e's modularity, and the specific example is very cool indeed. Definitely a good pick.

Bonespitters are another James Jacobs one, a gruesome amalgamation of body parts that you too could be incorporated into if unlucky. This kind of stuff is why clerics get anti-undead powers, because they're just too squicky otherwise.

Bonetrees are similarly gruesome, yet completely different in terms of powers. They still want to eat you, though, and use your bones to plate their bark though. Fee fi foe fum indeed. (and I can't believe I nearly went the full thread without making THAT reference. )

Casaruas are a pretty cool one to update, since Tom Moldvay's alternate undead were pretty memorable in general. They're distinctive in visuals, powers and creation method, and are better faced using brains than brawn, so it's a win all round.

Chaoswyrd are another one of James Jacob's sanity threatening monsters that he can whip up in his sleep. While cool, I think they may be spoiling us with too much of a good thing again, as his style is starting to get samey.

Ciruja Plants are another one from James, but don't use the same stereotypes, instead ageing you rather than threatening your sanity. Still, it is pretty brutal, so you should still be afraid. Just a few years later they wouldn't let them make monsters like this,

Elemental Demons still piss me off, knowing that they're Mearls' trial run for rewriting the cosmology and stripping all monsters of everything but a few combat related tricks in the next edition. Also, why these rather than the Battleloths, which were far more interesting in my opinion. Strange decision.

Demonically infused elementals add to the confusion, letting you give your inner planar creatures an outer planar flavour. We already have a fiendish and half-fiend template, and several different types of fiendish bloodline. Do we really need another one?

The colour wheel dragons get fairly straight conversions to 3e, with most of their spell-like abilities remaining the same, but some alignment changes. As with the 2e conversion, I find myself increasingly pleased to see them again, as they're something exclusive to the magazine. I hope they appear at some point in the 4e issues too.

Ghastly and Ghoulish creatures are still a sensible idea when you're working from the PoV that templates are good, and you should be able to combine creature types in all sorts of ways. Not that plenty of living monsters don't want to eat your flesh anyway, but adding paralyzation to the mix definitely turns up the fear factor.

Glasspane Horrors are one I've never seen before, since I've still never managed to get hold of the Creature Catalog from issue 89. They're pretty nifty too, making me pleased to see them here, and annoyed I didn't get the chance before this, and can't compare the mechanics.

Grandfather Plaques are a somewhat goofy one to convert, but hey, we can't forget the influence of Labyrinth and the fairy tale end of fantasy on D&D. There's still plenty of strange creatures ripe for conversion there.

Bog Mummies are just tougher mummies with a vulnerability to cold instead of fire. Not hard to figure out when you know their origins. Meh.

Ragewings are yet another James Jacobs combination of gruesome appearance and annoying special powers that make them pretty dangerous to fight. Well, as one of their lead editors, he has no trouble keeping his material fresh in their minds.

Ravenous template is still a good way to get your zombies to fit the Romero mould, as well as having more esoteric uses. I just wish they'd used the version from Silicon Sorcery instead. In fact, the stuff from book and video game articles has been notably absent from this collection, despite it generally being more adventurous mechanically. Guess they didn't want to deal with licensing hassles again.

Seelie Court Fey still seem annoyingly froofy. As if most fae weren't annoying enough as it is, you had to add an in-crowd and an out-crowd to them. No desire to relive that kind of high school :):):):):):):):).

Spiritus Anime get their setting details mildly rewritten to make them more generic, but remain pretty similar mechanically. Oh well, I guess that gives DM'd more freedom to put them where they like in a dungeon.

Trap Haunts still feel like an amusing lampshading of D&D dungeons, and their impossibility in reality. Someone has to maintain this stuff if more than one adventuring party passes through, and it might as well be undead, who don't have to worry about ecology.

Fire Trolls retain their amusing, and somewhat tricky to discover weak point, making them a real pain to take down permanently. Just the thing when players get complacent and think they can rely on brute force to solve their problems.

Unseelie Fey are one I'm pretty shocked to see reprinted, given how nasty I found the anti miscegenation message there first time around. I guess drama sells, and knowing sex is forbidden between you because it produces monstrosities certainly qualifies for that.

(un)reason

Legend
Dragon Compendium

part 10/10

APPENDICES: A few more old school articles round this collection out. Not sure what their criteria was for dividing them between the Classics and Appendices sections, and maybe it was just because they're 1e DMG fanboys, as I can't see much of a difference in overall theme between the chapters. Let's see which I'm more likely to want to refer back too regularly.

101 Wondrous Whereabouts: The 101 lists were always handy, simply because that's too many things to memorise perfectly, so no matter how many times you've used them, you can always find something you've forgotten about to use, and keep your game fresh for you and the players. They could probably have filled a whole chapter with them if they felt like it, (and I'd love to see the bag of beans one converted to 3e) but they stick with just the one. Still, it is a pretty good one, full of atmospheric adventure locations and reasons to go there, many which draw on mythological sources D&D has only briefly touched upon. I fully approve of reusing this selection.

7-Sentence NPC's: This one is also generally handy when you have to crank out a large number of NPC's in a short amount of time, and are finding it hard to make them distinct. Breaking personality building down in the same way as statistics may make characters formulaic, but at least you can make sure they're not too shallow, and you have obvious ways to play them differently. Some people may be able to manage without using shortcuts, but even they'll feel the benefits of using them every once in a while.

Be Thy Die Ill-Wrought: The mathematics heavy chi-squared rule article is the kind of thing they stopped doing in the last years of the magazine, so this seems like a breath of fresh air. The amount of higher mathematics and statistics involved in roleplaying ballooned in the 80's, before fading away as people wanted to just get down to the gaming rather than spend forever number-crunching and consulting tables. But making sure people aren't cheating is always a concern, especially if you're concerned with game balance, so this is another thing I'm pleased to see here.

Good Hits & Bad Misses: Huh. I'm surprised to see this one a third time. I guess even though they put a basic crit system in 3e, some people STILL want more gruesome descriptive effects when they hit things. I really don't know. Still, at least the crunch here is all-new, with each injury having a mechanical effect that still usually makes sense even if the description doesn't, (due to the myriad body shapes monsters can have) letting you reskin the description. This definitely feels like they gave it some thought to improve how it works mechanically, which is a relief, even if I still don't really want to use it in my own game, as it still gives other people decent options to choose from.

Instant Adventures: This one is transferred pretty much unchanged, apart from taking up slightly more space due to the way they formatted it here. And it's still handy, but not the most impressive example of it's kind, since it only provides seeds, not a way to grow them into full adventures on it's own. Guess recompiling the dungeoncraft stuff would have taken a full chapter, and they still only had limited space to play with. If only they had brought out a second one, they would probably have done more interesting themes with it.

Not Another Magic Sword: This bit of step by step advice is also unchanged, and curiously enough, doesn't need to be changed for 3e anyway, apart from intelligent magical weapons having wis and cha scores now. Goes to show, some bits of rules didn't need a huge amount of fiddling with, especially when so many magical weapons have unique abilities anyway. Just remember, it can be applied to other magic items too, not just weapons.

Pronunciation Guide: Ha. This is a system-free one that remains very relevant today, as new people learn the game all around the world without previous teachers, and so wind up mangling the words that they've read but never heard spoken. This could probably have been expanded quite a bit in the update, since they've introduced tons of new monsters and settings since then, but no, they're sticking to what Frank already gave us. A bit of a wasted opportunity, when you consider some of the changes they've made to other articles in here.

Solo Dungeons: And so we finish right back where we started, with an updated version of the random dungeon generation tables from the Strategic Review 1 (and the first best of). It seemed pretty damn cool back then, and you know what? It still does, especially as they've cleaned it up and made it easier to understand, while only changing it the minimum needed to fit into 3e rules. This definitely feels like a good note to end things on, bringing them full circle before I head out in directions unknown.

Putting this collection next to the old best of's definitely makes it easier to contrast how their approaches changed over the years, with the far greater emphasis on specific small pieces of information rather than big ideas in the articles. However, this attention to detail is also notable in the better artwork, formatting, and rules, and as a result, this collection definitely feels less lazy than the old best of's and their direct, artless reprints. So it looks like I can end this on a positive note, even if I would have made different choices of exactly which articles to reprint, and praise Paizo for their hard work in the last few years of the magazine's life. Now, will I ever get to see what WotC did once they took it back? The answer is in your hands. For now, farewell.

(un)reason

Legend

I did consider doing the ecology one, but as delrichlo said, it's all straight reprints of recent articles, so I decided against it. I hadn't considered doing the art ones, don't have copies of the books, and have no idea what I'd say about them. Sorry. :blush:

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
There's a few different avenues you could pursue now.

Continue with Dragon on to the DDI version (and thus 4E). Might be a problem if you don't have access to DDI. Also, 361, 362, and 363 are kind of jumbled and hard to find.

Pathfinder Adventure Path. Granted, its more a successor to Dungeon than Dragon.

Gygax Magazine (or any of a number of other 3rd party magazines).

Just some thoughts. :)

delericho

Legend
So it looks like I can end this on a positive note, even if I would have made different choices of exactly which articles to reprint, and praise Paizo for their hard work in the last few years of the magazine's life. Now, will I ever get to see what WotC did once they took it back? The answer is in your hands. For now, farewell.

I can't XP you again, as I did so when you finished #359, but congratulations on completing your series (again).

My advice for what to do next: take a well-earned break! :)

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Hmmm. Just found this thread thanks to link from MT's recent articles.

Now I just HAVE to go back through these and read them all, especially the later ones and those that hit some of my favourite issues. What an amazing amount of work [MENTION=27780](un)reason[/MENTION].

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Dragon Issue 323: September 2004

part 7/8

Player Tips: With Dungeoncraft moved out, they replace it's space with something very similar but smaller, aimed at PC's. A bit of fluff about how the culture your character comes from will affect their stats and personality? This is almost the same stuff as the NPC designing ones the last three months, only from a slightly different angle. With the really small size, it's hard for them to say something that hasn't been said before, so this is another one for the new players with the short attention spans. If they think bite sized chunks will sell better, I guess I'm going to have to live with it.

Hey, this was my article. I agree totally with [MENTION=27780](un)reason[/MENTION] here. Initially this was a full feature article. I believe I wrote ~3,000 words. I was then told to cut that article down to the tiny final that you read and see in #323. I was excited to be in Dragon, but at the same time quite upset that the article had to be squished into their new format. It really lacked the ideas and especially, examples, from the larger piece. (But that is a pretty normal story for publishing I am sure... I also had Barbarian and Monk article accepted for these small 3E articles, but they never saw the light of day due to shift to 4E :p)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases