Shadowcaster Update

Cadfan

First Post
INTRODUCTION TO THIS THREAD

I've written compendium posts for the various tiers of material in its final version.

Heroic Tier

-------------------------------------------------

I loved the 3e Shadowcaster, even though it was flawed in certain obnoxious ways. Here's the beginnings of the rewrite.

Sorry if the use of red text offends some rule somewhere. Its the most useful color for this sort of thing, and its not in a context that should confuse people.

Shadowcaster 4e

Power Source: Shadow. Your powers are called Mysteries.
Role: Controller. (Design Note: The Shadowcaster's defenses are higher than a wizard, but his range will be lessened. Many of his control aspects will require proximity to the front line, as they surround him with emanations of shadow or dark energy.)

Key Abilities: Intelligence, Charisma
Armor Proficiency: Cloth, Leather
Weapon Proficiency: All simple
Implement: Orb, Staff, Wand
Bonus to Defense: +1 Fortitude, +1 Will

Hit Points at 1st Level: 12+ Constitution Score
Hit Points per Level Gained: 5
Healing Surges per Day: 6+ Constitution Modifier

Trained Skills: Arcana. From the following list, choose 3 more: Dungeoneering, Endurance, Insight, Intimidate, Perception, Stealth

Build Options: (Design Note: There will be no specific build option bonuses, because Path Mastery covers that need.)
Class Features: Path Mastery, Fundamentals, Ritual Casting, Umbral Sight

Fundamentals: You know the following Fundamentals automatically. They are at will powers.

(Design Note: To be filled in later)

Ritual Casting: Gain the ritual casting feat for free, and choose one first level ritual at first level. You begin the game with this ritual inscribed in your ritual book.

Umbral Sight: You gain Low-Light Vision. If you have Low-Light Vision from another source, gain +2 to perception checks.

Path Mastery: Many mysteries a Shadowcaster can learn (other than cantrips and utility powers) have an associated path. A Shadowcaster gains special benefits from knowing many mysteries with the same path. These benefits are detailed in the Path Feature section below.

For each path, a Shadowcaster has a "mastery level." This is equal to the number of mysteries the Shadowcaster knows from that path. The Shadowcaster's Mastery Level in a path is used in determining the strength of his path features.

Paths

Dark Metamorphosis (Design Note: This path combines the mysteries that augment the physical body. It selects many of its mysteries from the 3e paths Cloak of Shadows, Body and Soul, and Dark Metamorphosis.)

Path Feature: You begin each encounter with temporary hit points equal to your mastery level. At paragon tier, you double this amount. At epic tier, triple it.

Umbral Mind (Design Note: This path combines the mysteries that affect the mind, whether to aid or afflict. It selects many of its mysteries from the 3e paths Umbral Mind, Ebon Whispers, and Heart and Soul.)

Path Feature: If you suffer from an ongoing effect which a save can end, and that effect was created as a result of an attack against your will, you gain a bonus to saving throws against it equal to your mastery level in this path.

Shutters and Mirrors (Design Note: This path combines the mysteries that relate to images, whether revealed, occluded, or reflected. It selects many of its mysteries from the 3e paths Eyes of Darkness, Shutters and Clouds, Black Magic, Dark Reflections, Veil of Shadows, Unbinding Shade, and Eyes of the Night Sky.)

Path Feature: Add your mastery level in this path as an untyped bonus to your Perception skill.

Elemental Shadows (Design Note: This path combines the mysteries that channel or control energies associated with the Shadowfell. It selects many of its mysteries from the 3e paths Touch of Twilight, Elemental Shadows, and Breath of Twilight.)

Path Feature: You gain Resist Necrotic equal to twice your mastery level in this path.

Darkness Unbound (Design Note: This path combines the mysteries that bring the Shadowfell itself to the Shadowcaster's aid. It selects many of its mysteries from the 3e paths Dark Terrain, Ebon Roads, Ebon Walls, and Shadow Calling.)

Path Feature: You gain Resist Cold equal to three times your mastery level in this path.

Last edited:

Cadfan

First Post
I'm not going to write these out in full. I'll just give the general idea. I may use some shorthand- for example, R5 means range 5.

At Will Mysteries

Sharp Shadows
The shadows that surrounds you are edged, sharp enough to draw blood.
Dark Metamorphosis
Int v ref, R5, 1d8+ Intelligence cold damage. If a foe strikes you with a melee attack before your next turn, it takes your charisma modifier in damage.

Voice of Shadow
Your voice whispers in the back of your enemies minds, urging them to give up, to die...
Umbral Mind
Close Burst 2. Int v will. Foes take 1d6+int psychic damage.

Shadow Hood
You wrap your foes face in cloth-like shadow.
Shutters and Mirrors
Int v will, R5, 1d4+ int psychic damage. All enemies the target attacks for one round count as having concealment.

Arrows of Dusk
The energy of the Shadowfell flows from your fingers.
Elemental Shadows
2 targets within 2 of each other, Int v ref, R10, 1d6+ Intelligence necrotic damage

Black Fire
You begin to breach the walls between this world and the next.
Darkness Unbound
Wall 5 within 10. Everyone who passes through this wall or who begins their turn inside this wall takes 1d6+ Intelligence cold damage. This wall may only be created in empty spaces. You may dismiss this wall as a free action.

Last edited:

Cadfan

First Post
Level 1 Encounter Mysteries

1: Life Fades
You drain vitality from your foes, leaving them vulnerable.
Elemental Shadow
Two targets within 3 spaces. Int v reflex, 2d10+ Int cold damage. If this attack would reduce an enemy to zero or fewer hit points, instead reduce that enemy to 1 hit point. (Design Note: I like this effect a lot, but it gets wacky with minions.)

1: Mesmerizing Shade
Your opponent's mind swims with shadowy images.
Umbral Mind
Int v will, 2d8+ int psychic damage. Effect: inflicts penalty on next attack roll equal to your charisma bonus.

1: Feral Reflection
Your foe's shadow twists from the floor to strike at him.
Shutters and Mirrors
Target suffers an attack equal to its own basic melee attack, with a bonus to the attack roll equal to your charisma bonus.

Level 1 Daily Mysteries

1: Umbral Touch
Dark energy bleeds from your fingertips.
Dark Metamorphosis
Until the end of your turn you may attack adjacent enemies with an int v ref attack that deals 2d6+ Int necrotic damage. If you hit with this attack you gain your charisma bonus in temporary hit points. Sustain: Minor.

1: Clinging Darkness
Shadows surge across the floor, grabbing at your opponent's ankles.
Darkness Unbound
Zone 5, centered on the caster. Enemies in this zone who do not move at least 2 spaces during their turn take your charisma modifier in damage and are immobilized at the end of their turn. This immobilization lasts until the end of their next turn. This zone emanates from the caster, and moves with him. Sustain: Minor.

Cadfan

First Post
There will be more eventually, probably sometime next Tuesday. For now, I'm having a little difficulty on the Umbral Mind path. I think it needs to exist, but I'm not sure how much needs to go into it. The Shutters and Mirrors' "manipulate shadows and reflections to manipulate the original object" theme seems to overlap a bit.

I also want to integrate feats effectively, since that was another part of the original Shadowcaster's shtick.

DreamChaser

Explorer
There will be more eventually, probably sometime next Tuesday. For now, I'm having a little difficulty on the Umbral Mind path. I think it needs to exist, but I'm not sure how much needs to go into it. The Shutters and Mirrors' "manipulate shadows and reflections to manipulate the original object" theme seems to overlap a bit.

I also want to integrate feats effectively, since that was another part of the original Shadowcaster's shtick.

I think that Umbral Mind and Shutters and Mirrors can be kept very separate just by making sure that UM focuses on telepathy, mind control, psychic fear, etc. SM could be a little overloaded with dark reflections in there...this seams more like a Darkness Unbound power. Focus SM on clairvoyance and sensory powers and it will work okay...

The Black Magic and Unbinding Shade don't seem to fit with SM either nor are many of them really feasible with 4e mechanics. How would one mimic the stealing of someone's effect? Would it only affect "magical" effects (thus Ki and Martial have a huge advantage)? Perhaps some of these effects could be un-pathed utility powers.

With feats, create a set of feats (perhaps one per tier) related to each path. Each feat would need to be a little weak for its level because it would also grant an increase to the Path Mastery ranking.

Just some thoughts...

DC

Cadfan

First Post
Level 2 Utility Powers

Design Note: None of these are incredibly exciting, but they're all functional. It gets you through second level.

Steel Shadows
Daily
+3 power bonus to ac until end of encounter

Congress of Shadow
Daily
Converse with willing ally silently across distance equal to your charisma modifier in miles.

Sight Eclipsed
Daily
+5 to stealth for duration of encounter

Cadfan

First Post
Alright, some good stuff again! The Fundamentals I left out above, and some feats. All fundamentals are at will, and as usual I am leaving out the full details in favor of short explanation.

Black Candle
Creates radius 3 shadowy illumination centered on you. Note that this can increase the ambient light, or decrease it as the case may be.
Mystic Reflections
+2 on the use of the Arcana skill to detect magic.
Umbral Hand
As Mage Hand.
Bend Perspective
When you cast this mystery, choose a square within five spaces of yourself. You may trace line of sight from this square. Sustain: minor.
Shadow Cloak
+2 stealth, sustain minor

Feats! All of these are paragon tier.

Path Mastery: Dark Metamorphosis
+1 to the mastery level of Dark Metamorphosis. Umbral Hand can also be used to push a foe. This use requires a standard action, and an attack of intelligence versus fortitude. On a hit, the target is pushed 1 square.

Path Mastery: Umbral Mind
+1 to the mastery level of Umbral Mind. Mystic Reflections grants an additional +2.

Path Mastery: Shutters and Mirrors
+1 to the mastery level of Shutters and Mirrors.
You may trace line of effect through the square chosen for Bend Perspective, as well as your line of sight. This can allow you to cast mysteries around corners, but does not serve to increase the range of your spells.

Path Mastery: Elemental Shadows
+1 to the mastery level of Elemental Shadows.
Shadow Cloak benefits all allies within 3 spaces.

Path Mastery: Darkness Unbound
+1 to the mastery level of Darkness Unbound.
Black Candle may be used with a radius of 8 instead of 3, if you choose.

Design Note: I know that there are some power balance issues here. I will revisit them once I complete work on the heroic tier.

Cadfan

First Post
Level 3 Encounter Powers

3: Flesh Fails
Your foe is close to defeat, he only needs a push...
Elemental Shadow
Two targets within 3, R5. Int v ref. 2d6+ Int cold damage. If a bloodied foe is targeted by this attack, increase the damage by Cha.

3: Afraid of the Dark
Fear of the shadow paralyzes your foe.
Umbral Mind
Enemies in Close Burst 5, Int v will. 1d8+Int psychic damage. Until the end of their next turn a target hit by this attack will not voluntarily enter a square that is dark or has shadowy illumination. (Design Note: Yes, this means they are immobilized if they are surrounded by shadowy illumination.)

3: Shadow Bind
You pull your foe's life energies into his shadow, so that you may more easily extinguish them.
Shutters and Mirrors
R10. Int v fort. 2d6+ Int necrotic damage. Until the end of your next turn, any power which can target a space within Cha spaces from this opponent may be used to target the opponent itself. This includes melee attacks.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases