Attainments

Should we have attainments?

• Yes... but they should be called something else

Votes: 0 0.0%

covaithe

Explorer
I had forgotten about this thread. Scanning over it, I stand by my previous statements on the subject: briefly, I don't think we need a policy in place for this. DMs can just do it, and should feel free to ask for judge approval if they think the situation warrants.

As a case in point, at the end of Hoofchew, I threw out there that the Redboots consider the PCs from that adventure friends, and offered them a place to lay low or a quick way out of town, should they ever need it. I didn't bother to check with the judges first, because the benefit seemed sufficiently non-mechanical. I certainly would have checked first for a mechanical bonus.

ukingsken

First Post
Having thought about it I feel the same way as you Covaithe. If the DM is concerned about knowing whether the PC's have talked to a prominent NPC in your campaign, why not just ask the PC's before adventure start. Similarly if you want to know if the pc's have been somewhere before just ask.

I like the idea very much from an RP standpoint, I played in the Hoofchew adventure/vingette myself and I like the idea that my character has an "in" with this dwarf gang, even though realistically it has very few mechaniocal benefits. I just like to think maybe some day down the road I'll say to a DM "Hey these dwarves owe me a favor and I think they might know about insert topic so I'm going to ask them." My dm quickly checks with covaithe and then awards me a one time circumstance bonus. I'm rewarde by feeling my previous associations matter, and the DM is rewarded by drawing players more fully into the adventure.

But a monitoring system seems like too much trouble to me. Just case by case, along with a judge should work just fine.

Atanatotatos

First Post
I just like to think maybe some day down the road I'll say to a DM "Hey these dwarves owe me a favor and I think they might know about insert topic so I'm going to ask them." My dm quickly checks with covaithe and then awards me a one time circumstance bonus. I'm rewarde by feeling my previous associations matter, and the DM is rewarded by drawing players more fully into the adventure.

But a monitoring system seems like too much trouble to me. Just case by case, along with a judge should work just fine.

This. I like this. A lot.

ukingsken

First Post
Well I am glad. Seems like the best way to me. A monitoring system sounds like a lot of work, and all of it for judges/DM's. But I agree with you Atanatotatos, that doing nothing would kind of.... cheapen the living aspect. So I think the best policy for now is.... well essentially keep on doing as we do, and leave the onus on DM's to ask about previous adventures that might be pertienent, and on Players to step forward and say "Hey just in case you didn't know, I have done Insert Thing and it might come up".

All around I think as long as players communicate with their DM and Vice Versa we should be just fine.

SeaPainter

First Post
Lord Sessadore added something to his character sheet (which I promptly stole), that tracks adventures he's been on & characters he's adventured with... sort of an associations & achievements tracker.

Couldn't something like this work for what Cov and ukingskin are talking about?

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
I suppose it could be adapted. To be completely honest, half of the reason for that list on my CS is so that I have links to my buddies' sheets when I'm away from my computer (and therefore my bookmarks). And in case I can't remember who I made my start with, when Raiyek's old and famous ;)

But yes, something that's basically just a list with a brief description of each 'attainment' made, perhaps with a link to a post where the NPC(s) concerned made their offer. More to make it easier for DMs to see what's kind of a history your PC has had than anything else. Is that what you're thinking?

To make it easier to see what SeaPainter's talking about: Raiyek's adventuring history.

garyh

First Post
I really dig the history section, LS! I'm going to have to steal that for Hrav. :) The only thing I might add is the player name in addition to the PC name.

SeaPainter

First Post
I suppose it could be adapted. To be completely honest, half of the reason for that list on my CS is so that I have links to my buddies' sheets when I'm away from my computer (and therefore my bookmarks). And in case I can't remember who I made my start with, when Raiyek's old and famous ;)

But yes, something that's basically just a list with a brief description of each 'attainment' made, perhaps with a link to a post where the NPC(s) concerned made their offer. More to make it easier for DMs to see what's kind of a history your PC has had than anything else. Is that what you're thinking?

To make it easier to see what SeaPainter's talking about: Raiyek's adventuring history.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Let your DM get an idea of what you've done, and possibly some ideas that s/he might use to add flavor and/or continuity in a characters "story".

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
I really dig the history section, LS! I'm going to have to steal that for Hrav. :) The only thing I might add is the player name in addition to the PC name.
Why thank you. I'm glad people like it - feel free to steal it, everyone. :)

Adding the player name would be a good idea, especially if other people are referencing it. As I said, it was originally intended mostly for my own use, and since I know who plays who, I didn't think to add that.

Edit: Woot! Post 900! :)

ukingsken

First Post
W00t team Canada! Go post 900! I will get there eventually for now... W00t whatever post I'm on lol.

And I am also stealing it Sess. Good call.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases