An Idea to improve the ENworld D-20 Guide

johnsemlak

First Post
With all of the D20 products available now (ENworld now has info on nearly 1000 products), I thought of suggesting that they be categorized in a way that a person could search for a product in a particular subject.

For example, a person could search for books about dwarves, fighters, etc.

I suggest each product be put into a category (or perhaps several categories) that could be browsed through.

Such a list would combine WofC, D20 publisher, and possibly even old 2e, 1e, or even Basic/Expert products.

Here's my list of possible categories and some examples of books.

-Character Races
--Dwarves
---The Quintesenntial Dwarf
---Hammer and Helm
---Heroes of High Favor
---The Complete Dwarf's Handbook (2e)
---Rockhome Gazatter (This was an old supplement for the Mystara setting but had a lot of info on Dwarves)
--Elves
--Haflings
--Half-elves

-Character Classes
--Clerics/Druids
---Defenders of the Faith
---Masters of the Wild
---The Quintessential Cleric
---The Book fo Hallowed Might (Upcoming Malhavoc Press Product)
---The Complete Cleric's Handbook (2e)
--Fighters/Rangers/Paladins
--Wizards/Sorcerers
---Tome and Blood
---The Quintessential Wizard
---The Quintessential Witch
---The Book of Eldritch Might I
---The Book of Eldritch Might II
---Witch's Handbook
---The Complete Wizard's Handbook (2e)
---The Principalities of Glantri Gazatter (an old Mystara setting supplement with lots of info on Magic Users)
--Rogues/Bards
--Monks
--Other Classes

-Monster Races (e.g. orcs, drow, dragons, etc)

-Monster Collection/Sourcebooks
--Monster Manual
--Monster Manual II
--Monsters of Faerun
--Creature Collection (S&S)
--Creature Collection II
--Tome of Horrors
--Minions: Fearsome Foes

-Campaign Settings + Setting accessories. (Possibly include adventures linked to specific settings here)
--Forgotten Realms
--Greyhawk
--Scarred Lands
--Freeport
--Erde
--etc

-Magic/Spell Sorcebooks

-Religion/Deity Sourcebook

-Plane Sourcebook

-Books about campaigns with a particular flavor (Egyptian, Oriental, Swashbuckling, etc)

Doubtlessly, my list does not include al possible categories-- additional suggestions/modifications are welcome. Also, some works will inevitibly defy categorization.

Cross referencing would be a key. For example, Monsters of Faerun would be both a campaign setting supplement and a monster collection. The Book of Eldritch Might I&II could both be a sourcebook for Wizards, etc and a Magic/Spell sourcebook.

Please, anybody who thinks this is a good idea post their suggestions.

Last edited:

Liquide

DEX: 4
You really want to make my work as hard as possible do you ;) , well I cannot answer these questions just yet since some changes will occur in the d20 guide, however all is still on the brainstorming level so I cannot really say what will change just yet.

Easier way of listing products aswell as a better/improved way of searching for them is on the list though.

And for the record, I think this discussion belongs in META ;) , so can any moderator please move it there.

Wolvorine

First Post
Liquide said:
Three disks to the IBM kings under Wall Street, Seven for the Compaq gurus who slaved to get rich, Nine for the Commodore Techs doomed to die...

One for the dark lord who sits upon his dark throne in the land of Renton where the Shadow lies...

One OS to rule them all...
One OS to crash them...
One OS to bring them all into darkness and bind them in the land of Renton where the Shadow lies.

Okay, I just really, really dig this sig, Liquide. :)

But then again, I once counted myself amongst the Commodore 'techs' doomed to die. ;P

johnsemlak

First Post
"Well, there's a search feature. Tap in "dwarves" and see what you get!"

I typed in 'dwarf' and got most of the works I mentioned in my list.

However...:) ... I typed in 'wizard' and got a huge mass of material, like all the works by Wizards of the Coast.:)

The search did not produce The Book of Eldritch Might, which I believe can be classified as a Wizard/Sorceror sourcebook. (I hate to be mean like this :) )

Anyway, I guess I was thinking that categorizing D20 products in this way would serve more a 'browsing' purpose than a 'search' purpose.

Please don't get me wrong, I believe the Enworld site in general and the D20 search guide are wonderful tools:) .

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases