[3D art] Dark Sun - Pyramid

Lost, alone, an escaped mul slave finds shelter in the ruins of some ancient city, where a spring keeps him alive...but something else as well!

Done with Vue6 Infinite, Poser and postwork in PaintShopPro :)

EDIT
added "simple version", no mul, snake, Radiosity render or postwork :)

[sblock="Dark Sun - Pyramid Blue Sky version"]

dark_sun_pyramid3a1.jpg

[/sblock]

[sblock="Dark Sun - Pyramid Orange Sky version"]

dark_sun_pyramid3c1.jpg

[/sblock]

[sblock="Dark Sun - simple version version"]

dark_sun_pyramid_simple.jpg

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Fantastic! Looks like you've been pretty busy with your art of late. I'm loving it.

I take it from this that the temple existed in the Blue Age as well?

Thank you! :) *bows*

Well, artis all about I can do anymore. So, enjoying doign it while I can :)

Lol, sorry I hate the offical history ;)
I just like Dark Sun as a strange, mysterious, barbaric world.

In my version, it was the mind flayers who tried to put the Sun out, causing all the hevoc destorying conectiosn t the Astral Plane, connections to the gods etc by accident, but, IMHO, the history of Athas should be entirely personal to each DM, left a as a mystery to enjoy!

Hate the way Dark Sun was driven by TSR's silly novel demands etc, sigh.
Sorceror Kings should be foes for the PCs, not gank half of them in a few novels and within a couple of years of the settings release, eek!!

Anyway, er, let's stick to loving Dark Sun's art? :)

frankthedm

First Post
By any chance is the pic available without the human or the wyrm? Maybe even without the giant crystal skulls?

I like the wyrm, but art is always more useful when you can use it to show the gaming group "This is what your see". The orange sky will work well for Dark*Sun, while the blue sky version looks perfect for a temple in the "Weird West" genre.

Fenes,
thanks! :)

Frankthedm,
hm, yes but, it wouldn't look as good, and I'd need ot email you it as I wouldn't want to host the bare picture on my site (not my intent for my site).

It wouldn't have the same dramatic look or at least, not exactly, because I used "post work" to get the startling look, which is not reproducible exactly.
Also, I don't want ot waste my PC's time, takes 3+hours to render that scene on my art rig (which is a beastie, quad core, 64 bit 8 gig RAM etc), so wouldn't use the finer render settings (no radiosity).

But can do if wish :)

Fenes

First Post
3 hours? Oh my god. I rarely make renders that take more than a few minutes to render (composing is another thing though).

frankthedm

First Post
Silverblade The Ench said:
Frankthedm,
hm, yes but, it wouldn't look as good, and I'd need to email you it as I wouldn't want to host the bare picture on my site (not my intent for my site).
sure!

frankthedm is my gmail name

Fenes,
Well, the Poser's a pretty poor renderer, with Vue and other apps you can use Radiosity and other settings which give better realism...but, they take a lot more time to render, also I'm rendering out at 1680x1050 size, which is pretty big.

This is a "Radiosity" render, mostly a test actually, to see what Radiosity does to an image:
http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com/wildspace/characters/characters1realism.jpg

The character, creature, weapons, statues, pyramid are all Poser items (bought form DAZ), Vue can directly import them. But then I tweak them to get materials a lot better.
Poser still rules, far as I'm concerned, for *setting up and posing* characters.

Here's a test pic I did in Poser as I was building the parts for the scene:
http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com/darksun/darksunpyramid.jpg

You cna see there's a VAST difference between Poser and Vue (though, I did use postwork on the Vue pic in PaintSHopPro, so it's much warmer/contrasting than original)

Most of the really good Poser artists use a lot of postwork to overcome Poser's limitations and to create a much better final image, often massively altering it from the original.

There's quite a lot of apps, But I'd suggest trying Vue (or Bryce or Carrara), and seeing the difference.
http://www.e-onsoftware.com/try/vue_6_ple/
That's the Perosnal Leanring Edition of Vue Infinite.

Note that my art rig is a *beast*. Quad core, 8 gig RAM, 64 bit system etc, I got it built to boost render speeds, or it would take a LOT longer than 3 hours ot render high quality scenes ;)
It renders ten times faster than old Pentium4 3GHz rig.

Alas Poser cannot take real use of it though as only Poser Pro (which I don't have or want) can use a 64 bit system, meh.

Poser is fine for your illustration of campaign, if you used Vue it would take longer ot set up. But for fine art, if that's what you wish, Vue etc are totally out of Poser's league as renderers.
THough, in the end, it's always about the *artist*, not the apps, as beautiful work is most certianly done with Poser.
:)

Frankthedm,
so:
frankthedm (-AT-) gmail.com
that right??
I put the @ in text to stop spam miners :)

Remove ads