11th level Monster Conversions!

the Jester

Legend
HOWLING ABOMINATION

A howling abomination is a fearsome, unstable creature composed of great howling mouths and flailing tendrils. Though a howling abomination bears some superficial resemblance to a gibbering beast, it is of a completely separate, though equally alien, line.

HOWLING ABOMINATION--- Level 11 Skirmisher
Large aberrant magical beast--- XP 600
---
Initiative +11; Senses Perception +8; blindsight 10
Howling (Fear, Thunder) aura 6; any enemy in the aura suffers -2 to all attacks
HP 112; Bloodied 56 (plus see Death Warp)
AC 25; Fortitude 25; Reflex 23; Will 22
Speed fly 6 (hover), teleport 6 (plus see Teleporting Attack)
---
[Melee basic] Bite (standard; at will): +16 vs. AC; 1d8+5 damage.

[Melee] Mass of Bites (standard; at will): +16 vs. AC; 2d6+5 damage.

[Melee] Teleporting Attack (standard; recharge 4 5 6) Teleportation: The howling abomination teleports and makes an attack. +16 vs. AC; 3d6+5 damage.

Death Warp: When the howling abomination dies, its unstable nature causes space to shift around it. It makes an attack on each creature in a close burst 4: +12 vs. Will; Hit: 4d8+5 damage and target teleports 1d6 squares in a random direction; Miss: no damage, and target teleports only 1d3 squares.
---
Alignment chaotic evil; Languages -
Str 23; Dex 18; Wis 17
Con 16; Int 9; Cha 14

HOWLING ABOMINATION SHIFTER--- Level 15 Controller
Large aberrant magical beast--- XP 1,200
---
Initiative +19; Senses Perception +15; blindsight 14
Howling (Fear, Thunder) aura 6; any enemy in the aura suffers -2 to all attacks
HP 144; Bloodied 72
AC 29; Fortitude 27; Reflex 27; Will 29
Speed fly 6 (hover), teleport 6

---
[Melee basic] Bite (standard; at will): +20 vs. AC; 1d8+6 damage.

[Melee] Mass of Bites (standard; at will): +20 vs. AC; 2d8+6 damage.

[Melee] Warp Bite (standard; at will) Teleportation: +20 vs. AC; 2d8+6 damage, plus followup attack: +19 vs. Will; Hit: target teleports 6 squares; Miss: target slides one square.

[Area] Warp Zone (minor; recharge 5 6) Teleportation: Burst 2 within 20; creates a zone of spatial instability that lasts until the end of the howling abomination shifter’s next turn, visible as a rippling in the air. Any creature that enters the zone, starts its turn in the zone or is in the zone when it is created is subject to an attack: +17 vs. Will; Hit: 3d8+6 damage, and target teleports 1d6 squares in a random direction and is stunned (save ends).

Death Warp:
When the howling abomination shifter dies, its unstable nature causes space to shift around it. It makes an attack on each creature in a close burst 4: +16 vs. Will; Hit: 4d8+6 damage and target teleports 2d6 squares in a random direction; Miss: no damage, and target teleports only 1d4 squares.
---
Alignment chaotic evil; Languages -
Str 25; Dex 25; Wis 17
Con 16; Int 9; Cha 29

the Jester

Legend
EDIT: There is an official version of these things in MV2, so I'm not going to update them, with the possible exception of the mist master.

MIST

Although most people think of mist as simply harmless vapor suspended in the air, there are several types of deadly monstrous mists. Sentient and usually hungry for blood, monstrous mists are extremely dangerous, in part for their ability to fade into the background in misty areas. Most monstrous mists dwell in areas prone to fog or mist in order to better conceal their approach and to expedite any necessary escapes.

VAMPIRIC MIST--- Level 11 Lurker
Medium elemental animate (air)--- XP 600
---
Initiative +15; Senses Perception +16
HP 91; Bloodied 45
AC 25; Fortitude 23; Reflex 25; Will 23
Resist insubstantial
Speed fly 8 (hover); maximum altitude 4 (see also Envelope and Misty Flow)
---
[Melee basic] Tendril of Mist (standard; at will): +14 vs. Reflex; 1d6+5 damage.

[Melee] Blood-Draining Tendril (standard; at will): +14 vs. Reflex; 1d6+5 damage, and the vampiric mist gains 5 temporary hit points.

[Melee] Envelope (standard; only when it has combat advantage; sustain standard; at will): The vampiric mist moves 4, ending its movement in an enemy’s space, and attacks that enemy: +14 vs. Fortitude; Hit: 2d8+5 damage, the vampiric mist gains 5 temporary hit points, and the target is dazed and immobilized (save ends both; both automatically end if the vampiric mist leaves the target’s space); Miss: half damage, the vampiric mist gains 5 temporary hit points, and the target is neither dazed nor immobilized. Sustain: the vampiric mist remains in the target’s space and makes another attack on it. (It need not have combat advantage to sustain this ability.)

Misty Flow (move; at will): The vampiric mist shifts 6 and gains concealment from, and combat advantage against, all creatures that it does not end this shift adjacent to until the end of its next turn.
---
Alignment evil; Languages understands Common
Skills Perception +16, Stealth +14
Str 6; Dex 22; Wis 18
Con 19; Int 10; Cha 10

CRIMSON DEATH--- Level 18 Solo Lurker
Medium elemental animate (air)--- XP 10,000
---
Initiative +25; Senses Perception +18; blindsight 10
HP 470; Bloodied 235
AC 34; Fortitude 32; Reflex 32; Will 32 (but see Fat with Blood)
Resist insubstantial (but see Fat with Blood)
Saving Throws +5
Speed fly 10 (hover); maximum altitude 6
Action Points 2
---
[Melee basic] Blood-Draining Tendril of Mist (standard; at will): +21 vs. Reflex; 2d8+7 damage, and the crimson death gains 10 temporary hit points. (Unlike most effects that grant temporary hit points, temporary hit points gained by this ability stack with each other, as well as with those gained through the crimson death's Feed ability.)

[Melee] Lash of Mist (standard; at will): The crimson death makes two blood-draining tendril of mist attacks.

[Melee] Feed (standard; requires combat advantage; recharges when the crimson death runs out of temporary hit points): The crimson death shifts 3 into an enemy’s space and attacks that enemy: +21 vs. Fortitude; Hit: 4d10+7 damage plus ongoing 5 damage (save ends), and the crimson death gains 10 temporary hit points. (Unlike most effects that grant temporary hit points, temporary hit points gained by this ability stack with each other, as well as with those gained through the crimson death's Blood-Draining Tendril of Mist ability.)

[Ranged] Terrifying Visage (minor; at will): Range 6; +21 vs. Will; Hit: the target slides 4 and is weakened (save ends); Miss: the target is weakened until the end of its next turn.

Scarlet Vigor (immediate reaction; when hit by an attack; at will): The crimson death loses 10 temporary hit points and gains a +2 power bonus to one defense of its choice until the end of its next turn.

Lost in the Mist (move; at will): The crimson death shifts 10 and gains total concealment until the end of its next turn.

Fat with Blood (when the crimson death first has 30 temporary hit points): The crimson death’s defenses go down by 2, it becomes substantial and it deals an extra 1d12 points of damage with melee attacks.

---
Alignment evil; Languages understands Common
Skills Perception +18, Stealth +22
Str 22; Dex 26; Wis 19
Con 20; Int 18; Cha 22

MIST MASTER--- Level 26 Artillery

The mist masters are mysterious elemental creatures that sometimes offer their services as mercenaries to powerful creatures. They have a civilization hidden somewhere in the Elemental Chaos, supposedly containing many different types of mist creatures unknown elsewhere. The mist masters rule over all. Their motivations in interacting with other creatures are generally very difficult to fathom.

Mist masters look like large churning masses of mist, swirling and moving at surprising speed.

Large elemental animate (air)--- XP 9,000
---
Initiative +23; Senses Perception +15; blindsight 20
Lightning Storm (lightning) aura 6; any creature starting its turn in the aura suffers an attack: +31 vs. Reflex; 2d8+9 lightning damage.
HP 177; Bloodied 88
AC 38; Fortitude 38; Reflex 40; Will 38
Immune lightning, thunder; Resist insubstantial
Speed fly 10 (hover) (plus see Dancing Whirlwind)
---
[Melee basic] Whirlwind Blow (standard; at will): Reach 2; +33 vs. AC; 2d8+8 damage, and target slides 2 squares.

[Ranged basic] Lightning Spark (standard; at will) Lightning: Range 12; +21 vs. AC; 3d8+9 lightning damage.

[Area] Staggering Thunder (standard; recharge 6) Thunder: Burst 2 within 10; +17 vs. Fortitude; Hit: 5d10+9 thunder damage and target is dazed (save ends); Miss: half damage and the target is not dazed.

Dancing Whirlwind (move; at will): The mist master shifts 4.
---
Alignment unaligned; Languages Primordial
Str 26; Dex 31; Wis 15
Con 15; Int 16; Cha 26

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
MUSTARD JELLY--- Level 11 Elite Brute
Large natural beast (ooze)--- XP 1,200
---
Initiative +9; Senses Perception +9; blindsight 10, tremorsense 10
Lethargic Vapors (poison) aura 4; any creature entering the aura or starting its turn in the aura is subject to an attack: +12 vs. Fortitude; Hit: 1d8+5 poison damage and target is slowed (save ends).
HP 276; Bloodied 138
AC 25; Fortitude 27; Reflex 23; Will 25
Saving Throws +2
Speed 5
Action Points 1
---
[Melee basic] Slam (standard; at will) Acid: +14 vs. AC; 1d6+5 damage plus 2d6 acid damage.

Divide (minor; at will): The mustard jelly divides itself into two identical mustard jellies. These are exactly like the original mustard jelly, except that each has half of the mustard jelly’s hit points (and temporary hit points), they are medium-sized and they cannot use the Divide ability. The mustard jelly remains divided until the two medium jellies end their turn adjacent to each other; then they merge back together and recombine their hit point (and temporary hit point) totals.

Arcane Feeding (immediate reaction; when damaged by a power with the Arcane and Force keywords; at will): The mustard jelly gains 10 temporary hit points.
---
Alignment unaligned; Languages understands Common
Str 23; Dex 18; Wis 18
Con 18; Int 10; Cha 10

Rechan

Adventurer
Jester, you do realize temporary HP don't stack, right? So how does Fat with Blood work?

With regards to the mustard jelly, how is its aura effected when it splits? Do both have an aura?

the Jester

Legend
Jester, you do realize temporary HP don't stack, right? So how does Fat with Blood work?

They don't? Where does it say that?

I did not realize that. I may have to reconsider how some of these guys work.

Edit: Oh, and both jellies do indeed get the aura.

the Jester

Legend
Jester, is there a list of links to your conversion threads someplace?

Yes, in my sig- it's the "Monster Project" link. :)

Rechan said:
Jester, you do realize temporary HP don't stack, right?

I fixed the problem. I was thinking about it too hard; the answer is actually quite obvious in retrospect. Thank god for exception-based design!

Spatula

Explorer
Could have sworn that link wasn't there when I made my post... :eek:

Anyway, having auras that involve attack rolls seems like a big slowdown. Are there any monsters in the MM like that? My impression was that auras were mostly static effects.

the Jester

Legend
Could have sworn that link wasn't there when I made my post... :eek:

It might not have been; I added the link halfway through my day yesterday. :)

Anyway, having auras that involve attack rolls seems like a big slowdown. Are there any monsters in the MM like that? My impression was that auras were mostly static effects.

Yeah, several- swarms at least, and I seem to recall at least one or two more as well. The real problem that I have with auras with attacks is forgetting to check to see if a given creature is eligible at the start of its turn... whoops!

Remove ads