Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
So what effect shall these spells have? Render them inert/inanimate for 1 round/hour/day per caster level?

Along those same lines, would an erase spell reverse the negative effects?

Cleon

Legend
So what effect shall these spells have? Render them inert/inanimate for 1 round/hour/day per caster level?

Along those same lines, would an erase spell reverse the negative effects?

Come to think of it, a sepia snake sigil is not affected by spell resistance, so the standard golem's immunity to magic would not affect it anyway. That said, I'd have something like:

A statue that walks is affected normally by any symbol, glyph of warding or sepia snake sigil spell. Furthermore, any of these spells can be inscribed upon the golem as if it were an surface. If the statue that walks succeeds at a Will save (DC equals spell) the inscribed spell dissipates harmlessly, if it fails the save the golem is rendered immobile and helpless until the symbol, glyph or sigil is discharged.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Cleon's suggestion sounds really good here, though I'm not sure how you'd be able to write a spell on an active golem. After all, the symbols take 10 minutes to cast! Maybe after casting, make a touch attack or something?

Shade

Monster Junkie
That is a good question!

What if the symbol could be inscribed upon another object (a weapon, etc.) and then once it strikes the golem it transfers the image and renders it helpless on the failed save?

freyar

Basically like a touch attack. Sure! Revising...

A statue that walks is affected normally by any symbol, glyph of warding or sepia snake sigil spell. Furthermore, any of these spells can be transfered the golem as if it were an surface; the caster inscribes the symbol, glyph, or sigil on another object and then must succeed on a touch attack against the golem with that object within 1 minute/hour???. If the statue that walks succeeds at a Will save (DC equals spell DC) the inscribed spell dissipates harmlessly, but if it fails the save the golem is rendered immobile and helpless until the symbol, glyph, or sigil is discharged.

Cleon

Legend
Basically like a touch attack. Sure! Revising...

A statue that walks is affected normally by any symbol, glyph of warding or sepia snake sigil spell. Furthermore, any of these spells can be transfered the golem as if it were an surface; the caster inscribes the symbol, glyph, or sigil on another object and then must succeed on a touch attack against the golem with that object within 1 minute/hour???. If the statue that walks succeeds at a Will save (DC equals spell DC) the inscribed spell dissipates harmlessly, but if it fails the save the golem is rendered immobile and helpless until the symbol, glyph, or sigil is discharged.

No, I don't like the idea of transferring the spell at all. Not only is it making an unnecessary special case it's setting a very bad precedent. What's to stop the players demanding to transfer symbols for a lot of other applications?

Most of these spells are standard actions, in which case they just need to make a touch attack. For long casting time spells like symbols I'd say they have to stay in contact for the entire casting time. Since grappling one of these things while casting high-level spells is probably a little difficult, it's basically a question of waiting until the golem is inactive and either hope it doesn't have pre-programmed instructions to squash people it sees casting spells on it OR sneak up and trace the symbol on the sly.

Besides, the original description says the method of stopping them was "a very long and drawn-out ritual taking days and needing special glyphs to be drawn on everyone of the Statues", which shows its possible to perform long casting-time spells on them.

Cleon

Legend
I can live with that.

Right-ho, then we just need to express it in game mechanics!

Revising...

A statue that walks is affected normally by any symbol, glyph of warding or sepia snake sigil spell. Furthermore, any of these spells can be inscribed upon the golem as if it were an surface. If the golem is moving or resisting the inscription the spellcaster must succeed at a touch attack on each round of the spell's casting time (minimum 1 touch attack) to trace the spell out on the golem, the spell fails if an inscription touch attack misses. If the inscription succeeds, the statue that walks then attempts a Will save (DC equals spell); on a successful save the inscribed spell dissipates harmlessly, if the golem fails its save it is rendered immobile and helpless until the symbol, glyph or sigil is discharged.

freyar

This is ok with me, but I thought the whole long drawn-out ritual bit was for some ritual that wasn't actually in the statue's presence. Still, this is good enough.

Can we insert a "but" between "harmlessly," and "if the golem ..." in order to avoid the run-on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases