Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleon

Legend

Str 4 is -3 Strength penalty, so it should have 1d4-3 damage and -11 Grapple.

Skills: 4

Split between Listen and Spot, which comes out to +7 with the +4 racial bonus from Blindsight.

Plus Swim with a "Black burners can apply their Dex modifier to Swim checks instead of their Strength modifier" note under skills, for +10 Swim in total.

Challenge Rating: 1/6? It's slightly better than a rat, with higher AC, attack modifier and blindsense.

Advancement: x

CR 1/6 is fine, and I'd say no advancement.

A black burner is 1 to 2 feet long and weighs x pounds.

Downscaling a 60 foot 60 tonne sperm whale to 18 inches long comes out to just over 2 pounds - 2.1 pounds, to be precise.

"A black burner is 1 to 2 feet long and weighs about 2 pounds."?

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Split between Listen and Spot, which comes out to +7 with the +4 racial bonus from Blindsight.

?????:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Are you mixing that up with All-around vision?

I like the rest. Updated.

We need to decide upon the multiplier for hold breath. I think I prefer 6x like the seal.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Go with 6x and then just add text? Can't imagine much from tactics: "Black burners are generally inoffensive creatures, attacking with their slams only as a last resort. If one member of a school is in danger, others will sometimes come to their aid, however." Flavor should mention how fond adventurers are of these. :devil:

Cleon

Legend
?????:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Are you mixing that up with All-around vision?

No I'm not, they're Cetaceans so get a +4 bonus from Blindsight like the SRD Porpoise and Whales. Look at their Skills entry:

Skills: A black burner uses its Dexterity modifier instead of its Strength modifier for Swim checks. A black burner has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

*A black burner has a +4 racial bonus on Spot and Listen checks. These bonuses are lost if its blindsight is negated.

Shade

Monster Junkie
No I'm not, they're Cetaceans so get a +4 bonus from Blindsight like the SRD Porpoise and Whales. Look at their Skills entry:

Odd! I've never noticed that before, and now that I look, bats have it too.

It makes me think DMs may have been better served with a separate "Echolocation" ability in the glossary. :erm:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
This whole Spot check thing is ridiculous. From the SRD on blindsight, "The creature usually does not need to make Spot or Listen checks to notice creatures within range of its blindsight ability." But I suppose it's ok to keep the bonus.

Shade

Monster Junkie
This whole Spot check thing is ridiculous. From the SRD on blindsight, "The creature usually does not need to make Spot or Listen checks to notice creatures within range of its blindsight ability." But I suppose it's ok to keep the bonus.

Yep, that was my gut reaction as well. :erm:

But if it's good for the goose...

Cleon

Legend

It doesn't bother me, but then I don't much care for the "no need to Spot or Listen check" rule for Blindsight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads