Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleon

Legend
That all sounds fair to me. 24HD?

I kind of like 2 fist/slam attacks at 3d12+Str, which is just slightly better than what I think a Huge iron golem gets (4d8+Str, though I don't know precisely how to advance 2d10).

Want to give them full magic immunity as well as healing from specified spells?

There seems a slight contradiction in the radius of the silence aura. I'd say go with 15 ft since these should be tough.

Yes, double the Hit Dice. Mithral is tougher than iron, so the golem should be to.

Rather than specific spells I'd have them heal from Force or Electrical damage.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

Upsizing an iron golem's natural armor yields +25. Mithral normally has a higher hardness than iron, so boost it? Maybe +30?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Looks good so far, and I agree to +30 natural.

Should it still dispel all magical darkness automatically, or do we want to put a spell level cap on it or something?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Sure. Have it work like a targeted dispel?

Dispel Darkness (Su?): When a mithral guardian encounters a magical darkness effect, it may dispel the darkness as a free action. If the mithral guardian's caster level check (effective CL 20th) exceeds a DC of 11 plus the darkness effect's caster level, the darkness is completly dispelled and negated. This otherwise functions as a targeted use of dispel magic.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Looks good! Updated.

Challenge Rating: x

Advancement: 25-x HD (Huge); x-x HD (Gargantuan)

A lesser mithral guardian stands 18 feet tall and weighs x pounds. (Note: Mithral weighs half as much as steel)

Construction suggestions?

Cleon

Legend
Looks good! Updated.

Challenge Rating: x

Challenge Rating 15? It's 6HD and a size larger than a CR13 Iron Golem, and has a DR20!

Advancement: 25-x HD (Huge); x-x HD (Gargantuan)

An Iron Golem goes 100-150% HD, 150-300% HD. If the Mithral's the same it'll be:

Advancement: 25-36 HD (Huge); 37-72 HD (Gargantuan)

A lesser mithral guardian stands 18 feet tall and weighs x pounds. (Note: Mithral weighs half as much as steel)

Going by the weights an Iron Golem is probably roughly 50% hollow, so if the Mithral Golem is solid they'll weight the same.

Still, I'd prefer to think their construction is similar, in which case an 18 foot Mithral Golem should weigh ~8500 pounds.

Construction suggestions?

Total price around 200,000-300,000 gp?

An Iron Golem requires 5,000 pounds of pure iron plus tinctures with a material cost of 10,000 gp. Mithral costs an extra 500 gp/pound, which would work out at 2,500,000 gp for that amount of metal, or 4,250,000 for the previously estimated 8,500 pound golem.

So, how about manufacture requires 8000 pounds of pure silver and 100 pounds of mithral, plus assorted other metals and rare tinctures, with a total cost of 100,000 gp , and the construction cost is another 100,000 gp, for a total cost of 300,000? [That works out 40,000 silver + 50,000 mithral + 10,000 miscellaneous]

It'll also need an impressive Craft (armorsmithing) or Craft (weaponsmithing) check - maybe DC23?

For spell prerequisites I'm fancying sunburst and permanency together with the usual suspects of geas/quest, animate object and wish or limited wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases