Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Looks good, thanks! Didn't feel like wading through that. Just one of those weeks... ;)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Here are the skills with racial bonuses only:

Climb +11, Escape Artist +12, Hide +x, Listen +x, Heal, Knowledge (nature) +x, Knowledge (religion) +x, Spot +x, Swim +11

We have 33 ranks to split between the rest (max 11 ranks per skill).

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

Here are the skills with racial bonuses only:

Climb +11, Escape Artist +12, Hide +x, Listen +x, Heal, Knowledge (nature) +x, Knowledge (religion) +x, Spot +x, Swim +11

We have 33 ranks to split between the rest (max 11 ranks per skill).

I'd put most of the SPs in Heal and the two Knowledges, say 7 in each, then 4 in each of Hide, Listen and Spot?

I make that:

Skills: Climb +11, Escape Artist +12, Hide +3, Listen +7, Heal +10, Knowledge (nature) +8, Knowledge (religion) +8, Spot +7, Swim +11

Cleon

Legend
That sounds like a good approach.

Here's a stab at the spell list...

Typical Cleric Spells Prepared (6/5+1/4+1/3+1/2+1; save DC 12 + spell level):
0—detect magic, guidance, light, read magic, resistance, virtue;
1st—bless water, divine favor, entropic shield, obscuring mist, remove fear*, sanctuary;
2nd—aid, fog cloud*, owl's wisdom, resist energy, silence;
3rd—call lightning*, dispel magic, prayer, wind wall;
4th—control water, divine power, freedom of movement*;
*Domain spell. Domains: Liberation and Weather.

That selection suits me.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Agreed. Updated.

Do we want to do anything else to make the poison deadlier, beyond the increased DC due to greater Con and HD?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I could see upping the Con damage to 1d3 or maybe even 1d4 in both primary and secondary.

Cleon

Legend
Let's go with 1d3.

Updated. Challenge Rating: 8? Anything else?

I was going to go for 1d4 for the poison, since it's supposedly more potent than a regular blue-ring.

I'm thinking they might be a CR9.

A regular giant octopus is CR8. These fellows don't have the raw damage capacity of a giant octopus but their poison probably makes up for that, plus their spell casting makes them much more versatile and allows them to boost themselves with spells before a fight.

Just a divine power makes their tentacles at least as good as a regular giant octopus in both attack and damage - +13 melee (1d3+6 plus poison) & constrict 1D8+9 versus the giant octopus's +10 melee (1d4+5) & constrict 2d8+6. Throw in a divine favour and prayer and they're definitely nastier!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads