Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
You only get one swift action per round. ;)

Adding the beam to the attack line makes good sense.

Cleon

Legend
You only get one swift action per round. ;)

Adding the beam to the attack line makes good sense.

I thought you could spend a standard action to make a swift action...

...Hmm, that's not what it says in www.d20srd, maybe I was thinking of a older version of swift action.

Okay then, in that case I'm OK keeping it swift.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm fine with the lower rake damage...I just didn't want an exception-based mechanic. ;)

Updated.

Shouldn't the heat beam be Con-based, rather than Cha-based, as energy attacks are generally the former (when not spell-like).

Cleon

Legend
I'm fine with the lower rake damage...I just didn't want an exception-based mechanic. ;)

Updated.

Shouldn't the heat beam be Con-based, rather than Cha-based, as energy attacks are generally the former (when not spell-like).

Good idea!

Shall we cut its Charisma back down to 7 then?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Sure! Updated.

Gaunds have 90’ infravision, excellent hearing, and great sensitivity to vibrations. This prevents them from being effectively blinded by exposure to light or darkness, or by the obscuring effects of smoke or vapors. They are surprised only on a roll of 1 on a 1d6.

Increase darkvision to 90 ft. and/or low-light vision? Tremorsense 60 ft. sufficient? +4 or higher racial bonus on Listen checks?

In combat, gaunds do not use weapons of any sort, but leap about constantly, hurling themselves at and upon opponents, slashing with their claws (1d4 points of damage), snapping with their jaws (1d6 points of damage), and using their tails as lashes or whips (1d8 points of damage).

Racial bonus on Jump checks? Borrow and modify this?

Leap (Ex): A bulette can jump into the air during combat. This allows it to make four claw attacks instead of two, each with a +15 attack bonus, but it cannot bite.

They are fearless, and the death of a fellow often drives them to fight with even greater ferocity.

Some sort of ferocity/rage ability?

Gaund suffer no damage at all from heat or normal fire, even dragon turtle steam. Magical fire attacks inflict less damage upon them, causing 2 points of damage per die, with a minimum of 1 point of damage per die. However, they are especially susceptible to cold-based attacks (+2 to each die of damage). They are also susceptible to sonic attacks and make saving throws against them at a penalty of -2.

Resistance to fire 10 and vulnerability to cold and sonic?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Darkvision 90 ft, tremorsense 60 ft, +4 on Listen seems fine.

Leap is good, but I'm not sure which attacks to allow with it. It's not quite a full attack like pounce (for the bullette), but maybe we could add the rake.

I'd probably go with a rage, though ferocity is a possibility.

Resistance to fire 10 and those vulnerabilities sound good.

Cleon

Legend
Darkvision 90 ft, tremorsense 60 ft, +4 on Listen seems fine.

Leap is good, but I'm not sure which attacks to allow with it. It's not quite a full attack like pounce (for the bullette), but maybe we could add the rake.

Those senses are fine by me.

I got the impression the Leap attack was with its normal claw/claw/bite/tail.

I'd probably go with a rage, though ferocity is a possibility.

Resistance to fire 10 and those vulnerabilities sound good.

They don't seem to get any bonuses for being mad, so I'd prefer to give them immunity to fear.

Vulnerability to cold and sonic are good but I'd rather the fire resistance was more than 10. -2 per die is quite a lot when most fire attacks used d6s or d4s.

Fire resistance 15 would suit me better.

Shade

Monster Junkie
On second thought, that sounds exactly like pounce, eh?

Immunity to fear and resistance to fire 15 are fine.

Updated.

Gaunds are omnivorous. Although they do not build, use tools, or seem to have any type of social structure, they do husband food carefully, often maintaining breeding colonies of lesser animals to ensure themselves of a plentiful supply.

Skills: 14 ranks
Handle Animal, Jump, Knowledge Nature, Listen?

Feats: 2
Multiattack, Skill Focus (Jump)?

Cleon

Legend
On second thought, that sounds exactly like pounce, eh?

Immunity to fear and resistance to fire 15 are fine.

Pounce is fine. They won't be able to use their Rakes since they don't have Improved Grab.

Skills: 14 ranks
Handle Animal, Jump, Knowledge Nature, Listen?

I'd swap the Knowledge (nature) for Spot and give them a racial bonus (+8?) in Jump. Probably +4 in Listen and Spot since they have such keen senses.

Skill Ranks: Handle Animal 4, Jump 0, Listen 5, Spot 5

=>

Skills: Handle Animal +4, Jump +14, Listen +9, Spot +9
Gaund have a +4 racial bonus to Listen and Spot checks and a +8 racial bonus to Jump checks.

Feats: 2
Multiattack, Skill Focus (Jump)?

Multiattack is good.

I'd rather have something more interesting than Skill Focus though.

Something to do with them leaping about in combat - Mobility with Dodge as a bonus feat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases