Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleon

Legend
These remind me quite a bit of the kada.

Yes, there do seem to be many parallels.

I'd prefer 3 HD Undead over template.

Do we make them ethereal creatures with Manifestation like a Ghost or Incorporeal creatures like Shadows? Manifestation would be my preference. with a limited form of Malevolence for the possession.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'd prefer 3 HD Undead over template.

That should be fine, since they lack the ability to do much.

Do we make them ethereal creatures with Manifestation like a Ghost or Incorporeal creatures like Shadows? Manifestation would be my preference. with a limited form of Malevolence for the possession.

I tend to agree here, since we made the kada incorporeal and I'd like to differentiate them as much as possible.

Cleon

Legend
All sounds good to me.

Right-ho, here goes a first stab at it, based on a mixture of the Ghost and the Shadow, it probably needs a bit of work on the Malevolence:

Lesser Ghost
Medium Undead
Hit Dice: 3d12 (19 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: Fly 40 ft. (good) (8 squares)
Armor Class: 17 (+3 Dex, +4 deflection), touch 17, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/—
Attack: —
Full Attack: —
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Malevolence
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., manifestation, +2 turn resistance, undead traits
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +4
Abilities: Str –, Dex 17, Con –, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 18
Skills: 24?
Feats: 2
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary, gang (2-5), or mob (6-12)
Challenge Rating: ?
Treasure: None
Alignment: Any
Advancement: 4-9 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: —

Malevolence (Su): Once per round, an ethereal ghost can merge its body with a creature on the Material Plane. This ability is similar to a magic jar spell (caster level 10th), except that it does not require a receptacle. To use this ability, the ghost must be manifested and it must try move into the target's space; moving into the target's space to use the malevolence ability does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The target can resist the attack with a successful Will save (DC 15). A creature that successfully saves is immune to that same ghost's malevolence for 24 hours, and the ghost cannot enter the target's space. If the save fails, the ghost vanishes into the target's body. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Manifestation (Su): A lesser ghost dwells on the Ethereal Plane and, as an ethereal creature, it cannot affect or be affected by anything in the material world. When a lesser ghost manifests, it partly enters the Material Plane and becomes visible but incorporeal on the Material Plane. A manifested ghost can be harmed only by other incorporeal creatures, magic weapons, or spells, with a 50% chance to ignore any damage from a corporeal source. A manifested ghost can pass through solid objects at will, and its own attacks pass through armor. A manifested ghost always moves silently. A manifested ghost can strike with a touch attack or with a ghost touch weapon. A manifested ghost remains partially on the Ethereal Plane, where is it not incorporeal. A manifested ghost can be attacked by opponents on either the Material Plane or the Ethereal Plane. The ghost's incorporeality helps protect it from foes on the Material Plane, but not from foes on the Ethereal Plane.

A lesser ghost has two home planes, the Material Plane and the Ethereal Plane. It is not considered extraplanar when on either of these planes.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, we have this:
“One clue that lesser ghosts are about the area is through encountering certain sounds that are obviously out of place to their surroundings. Somehow, perhaps unconsciously, these creatures project the sounds that the spirit enjoyed in life. This can range from the sounds of children at play to the merriment of balls and dances, to goodnatured swordplay. In all cases, such noises will be heard coming through a wall or closed door--and they will always cease when the living enter the area in question, lending credence to the idea that such phenomena are not consciously created, but instead occur through some natural process while the creature’s thoughts wander back to happier times it once knew.

“Lesser ghosts have no real attack forms, other than perhaps acting in a threatening manner when their lair is penetrated,” the halfling replied. “They may, however, possess objects for up to about 10 minutes, causing, for example, the chimes of a clock to ring, or a chandelier to swing oddly, or the strings of a musical instrument to be strummed. Unlike true ghosts, these creatures lack the strength to actually cause physical harm through haunting an object, and such phenomena are at worst poltergeist-like.”

“Lesser ghosts may for several minutes possess an individual in order to communicate. The host usually must allow physical contact to be made, although the creature may attempt to touch a target, gaining temporary possession of his body if successful. The duration for such possession is up to 10 minutes, after which the ghost will depart, leaving the host none the worse for the experience.”

Sounds like it should have a time limit on malevolence, and we definitely need to get rid of touch attacks. The sound business sounds like maybe they have ghost sounds (appropriate!), and possessing objects might work with prestidigitation or a weakened mage hand. What do you think?

Cleon

Legend
Well, we have this:

Sounds like it should have a time limit on malevolence, and we definitely need to get rid of touch attacks. The sound business sounds like maybe they have ghost sounds (appropriate!), and possessing objects might work with prestidigitation or a weakened mage hand. What do you think?

Do we want to make this a Supernatural power rather than an SLA?

All the examples of "possessing objects" only cause them to make sounds, which leaves me wondering what the "poltergeist" effects it mentions were meant to be.

I slightly prefer a prestidigitation-like approach over mage hand, but I think we might as well give them both.

freyar

You have any thoughts about revising malevolence? Just stick to 10 minutes as the original? Can it take over the person?

I think I like prestidigitation plus ghost sound (without mage hand). Regular ghosts can get telekinesis as an Su, so we can turn prest. and ghost sound into a single Su for consistency. Not sure what I'd call it, though.

Cleon

Legend
You have any thoughts about revising malevolence? Just stick to 10 minutes as the original? Can it take over the person?

It doesn't seem to be "full possession" as the Lesser Ghost uses it to communicate rather than attack. Maybe it can only force its host to perform free actions like talking, pointing ominously or knocking over an object?

I think I like prestidigitation plus ghost sound (without mage hand). Regular ghosts can get telekinesis as an Su, so we can turn prest. and ghost sound into a single Su for consistency. Not sure what I'd call it, though.

Polterkinesis? :p

Shade

Monster Junkie
Cleon said:
It doesn't seem to be "full possession" as the Lesser Ghost uses it to communicate rather than attack. Maybe it can only force its host to perform free actions like talking, pointing ominously or knocking over an object?

I like it!

Cleon said:
Polterkinesis?

I've heard worse names. ;)

freyar

Restricting malevolence to free actions is a really nice idea.

How's this look? I just riffed off the ghost's telekinesis.

X (Su): A lesser ghost can use prestidigitation or ghost sound as a standard action (caster level 3rd or equal to the lesser ghost’s HD, whichever is higher). When a lesser ghost uses this power, it must wait 1d4 rounds before using it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases