Corey_Austin

First Post
Young Rust Monster Level 4 Lurker
Small magical beast (earth) XP 175
Initiative +7 Senses Perception +2; scent (metal) 20
HP 40; Bloodied 20
AC 18; Fortitude 14, Reflex 15, Will 11
Speed 6, burrow 2

:bmelee: Antennae Lash (standard; at-will)
+9 vs. Ref; Target metal weapon loses its proficiency bonus to attack until the end of the encounter, and is weakened (save ends).

:melee: Rusting Bite (standard; at-will)
+9 vs. AC; 1d6+4 acid and slashing damage.

:melee: Seize (encounter; recharge :4::5::6:)
+7 vs. Ref; the Target drops one weapon it is holding; it lands in the rust monster’s square.

Spring Out
At the beginning of an encounter, a rust monster has combat advantage against creatures that have not yet acted in that encounter.

Rusting Carapace
A metal weapon attacking a rust monster does not gain its proficiency bonus to the attack roll. In addition, a rust monster has combat advantage against creatures in metal armor.

Alignment: Unaligned Language: -
Skills: Stealth +10
Str: 12 (+3) Dex: 17 (+5) Wis: 9 (+1)
Con: 14 (+4) Int: 3 (-1) Cha: 8 (+1)

Last edited:

Corey_Austin

First Post
Rust Monster Alpha Level 6 Brute
Medium magical beast (earth) XP 250
Initiative +4 Senses Perception +2; scent (metal) 20
HP 85; Bloodied 42
AC 17; Fortitude 19, Reflex 16, Will 13
Speed 6, burrow 2

:bmelee: Antennae Lash (standard; at-will)
+9 vs. Ref; Target metal weapon loses its proficiency bonus to attack until the end of the encounter, and is weakened (save ends).

:melee: Rusting Bite (standard; at-will)
+11 vs. AC; 1d10+4 acid and slashing damage and ongoing slashing damage 5 (save ends).

:melee: Barreling Charge (standard; encounter)
+11 vs. AC; the rust monster alpha moves up to 6 squares and makes a rusting bite attack; and the target is pushed 1 square.

:melee: Seize (standard; encounter recharge :4::5::6:)
+9 vs. Ref; the Target drops one weapon it is holding; it lands in the rust monster’s square.

Rusting Carapace
A metal weapon attacking a rust monster does not gain its proficiency bonus to the attack roll. In addition, a rust monster has combat advantage against creatures in metal armor.

Alignment: Unaligned Language: -
Skills: Stealth +12
Str: 15 (+5) Dex: 17 (+5) Wis: 11 (+3)
Con: 15 (+5) Int: 4 (+0) Cha: 8 (+2)

Last edited:

Corey_Austin

First Post
for the alpha I added a bit of ongoing damage to represent the pain/trauma of having a bunch of metal dust mixed in with his bite.

Let me know what you think, these are my first monsters.

Corey_Austin

First Post
I like them, though I'd prefer the antennae attack to be a two stage thing lose prof bonus from first hit then weakend.

Yeah, I could see that as a potential fix/swap. I randomly felt like statting up some monsters (WoW beta server was/is down :p). I'll prolly do the higher level one (think its called an annihilator?) as an elite brute soon.

Edit: Added Annihilator and fixed the earlier posts with symbols.

Last edited:

Corey_Austin

First Post
Annihilator Level 16 Elite Brute
Medium aberrant magical beast (necrotic) XP 2,800
Initiative +11 Senses Perception +8; darkvision, scent (flesh, metal) 20
Annihilating Flurry aura 1; Creatures starting their turns within the aura suffer 5 points of necrotic damage.
HP 380; Bloodied 190
AC 27; Fortitude 29, Reflex 31, Will 26
Saving Throws +2
Speed 8, burrow 2
Action Points 1

:bmelee: Disintegrating Lash (standard; at-will)
+17 vs. Fortitude; 2d8+5 necrotic damage and ongoing 10 damage (save ends). Aftereffect: Ongoing 5 damage (save ends).

:melee: Obliterating Disarmament (standard; encounter; recharge :4::5::6:)
+17 vs. Ref; the Target drops one held object it is holding, and the object (if magical) must make a save with a bonus equal to its half its level. First failed save: No effect. Second failed save: The object loses its magic for 24 hours. Third failed save: The object is destroyed and can only be restored via a Make Whole ritual result equal to 10 + the item's level.

Annihilating Carapace
Weapons attacking an annihilator do not gain their proficiency or enhancement bonuses to attack rolls or their enhancement bonus to the damage roll.

Alignment: Evil Language: -
Skills: Stealth +14
Str: 20 (+13) Dex: 23 (+14) Wis: 10 (+8)
Con: 15 (+10) Int: 4 (+5) Cha: 8 (+7)

Last edited:

Corey_Austin

First Post
Generally in my view denying the players their hard-earned loot is poor GMing and only feeds into the "DM is the enemy" perspective. I made my version intentionally less gear-breaky because it provides an interesting mechanic for the fight that doesn't inflict permanent harm (unless they decide to let the monster play with their items for a round or two).

the Jester

Legend
Generally in my view denying the players their hard-earned loot is poor GMing and only feeds into the "DM is the enemy" perspective. I made my version intentionally less gear-breaky because it provides an interesting mechanic for the fight that doesn't inflict permanent harm (unless they decide to let the monster play with their items for a round or two).

Shrug. Different playstyles. It's easy enough to compensate for any destroyed gear when you control how easily the loot comes.

Nonetheless, I agree that the one-shot item-kill is a drag, which is why I am using the wear point mechanic. Heck, I occasionally have the pcs all put a wear point on their clothes, footwear or whatever to represent wear and tear via normal use.

Jack Colby

First Post

You're right, nothing permanent should ever happen to the PCs.

Remove ads