[Eberron] Channel Divinity Feats

Spatula

Explorer
Just some ideas that I had for 4e Channel Divinity feats for the Eberron religions. I stole the PHB feats where appropriate - no need to reinvent the wheel, after all. I'm interested in any comments, suggestions, alternate ideas, or if anyone has done something similar, I'd love to hear about it.

The Sovereign Host
• Arawai: Arawai’s Lifebloom (as Melora’s Tide)
• Aureon:
Lore of Aureon
You draw upon the limitless knowledge of Aureon.
Encounter • Divine
Free Action Personal
Effect: Your next Arcana, Dungeoneering, History, Nature, or Religion check gains a +5 power bonus (+10 power bonus at 21st level). You can also make use of trained-only applications of the skill, even if it is not one of your trained skills.

• Balinor:
Eagle Eyes of Balinor
Balinor guides your hand as you attempt to bring down your prey.
Encounter • Divine
Minor Action Personal
Effect: You ignore cover and concealment penalties on your next attack roll. You must still target the proper square if the target has superior concealment.

• Boldrei: Harmony of Boldrei (as Harmony of Erathis)
• Dol Arrah: Dol Arrah’s Sunburst (as Pelor’s Radiance)
• Dol Dorn: Dol Dorn’s Favor (as Kord’s Favor)
• Kol Korran:
Curse of Kol Korran
Blessed are the moneymakers, and a curse upon those that wish them harm.
Encounter • Charm, Divine
Immediate Interrupt Melee 1
Trigger: You are attacked in melee
Target: The attacker
Effect: The target is weakened until the end of your next turn.

• Onatar:
Onatar’s Forgefire
You call upon the heat of Onatar’s forge to fortify your attacks.
Encounter • Divine, Fire
Minor Action Personal
Effect: Until the end of your next turn, you deal +1d6 fire damage with your attacks. This extra damage can only occur once per round.
Special: Increase the extra damage to +2d6 fire damage at 11th level.
Increase the extra damage to +3d6 fire damage at 21st level.

• Olladra: Olladra’s Reversal (as Sehanine’s Reversal)

The Dark Six
• The Devourer:
The Devourer’s Wrath
Nature’s destructive potential is channeled through your prayers.
Encounter • Divine, Lightning, Thunder
Minor Action Personal
Effect: Your next Area or Close attack power deals lightning and thunder damage instead of its normal damage type, and can score critical hits on a natural die roll of 19 or 20.

• The Fury:
Visions of Fury
You fill your foe’s head with rage and madness.
Encounter • Charm, Divine, Implement
Standard Action Ranged 5
Target: One creature
Attack: Charisma vs. Will
Hit: 1d4+Charisma psychic damage, and the target must choose a random target for any melee attacks it makes, until the end of its next turn.
Special: Increase damage to 2d4+Charisma psychic damage at 11th level.
Increase damage to 3d4+Charisma psychic damage at 21st level.

• The Keeper: Keeper’s Blessing (as Raven Queen’s Blessing)
• The Mockery:
The Mockery of Flesh
Pain has its uses.
Encounter • Divine
Minor Action Personal
Effect: You deal 1d8 damage to yourself, or to a willing adjacent ally. As a free action, you can choose to deal twice that amount as extra damage on one attack made before the end of your next turn.
Special: Increase the damage taken to 1d10 at 11th level.
Increase the damage taken to 1d12 at 21st level.

• The Shadow:
Shroud of Shadow
You wrap yourself in impenetrable darkness.
Encounter • Divine, Zone
Minor Action Close burst 1
Effect: The burst creates a zone of inky darkness that remains in place until the end of your next turn. This darkness blocks line of sight, squares within it are totally obscured, and creatures within it are blinded until they exit. You are immune to these effects.

• The Traveler: Traveler’s Swiftness (as Corellon’s Grace)

Others
• The Silver Flame: Warding Flame (as Armor of Bahamut)
• The Path of Light: Meditative Mindshield (as Ioun’s Poise)
• The Undying Court: ?
• The Blood of Vol:
The Blood is Life
Your foe is not worthy of the gift of life; its blood shall belong to the righteous instead.
Encounter • Divine, Healing, Implement, Necrotic
Standard Action Ranged 5
Target: One non-animate creature
Attack: Wisdom vs Fortitude
Hit: 1d10+Wisdom necrotic damage. You gain the same amount as temporary hit points. If this attack dropped the target to 0 or fewer hit points, you can spend a healing surge instead of gaining temporary hit points, and the target’s corpse becomes withered and dessicated.
Special: Increase damage to 2d10+Wisdom necrotic damage at 11th level.
Increase damage to 3d10+Wisdom necrotic damage at 21st level.

• The Dragon Below:
Grasp of the Dragon Below
A horrid tentacle or diabolic claw rises from the ground to attack your enemies.
Encounter • Conjuration, Divine, Implement
Standard Action Ranged 5
Effect: A manifestation of the Dragon Below rises from the ground in an empty square within range. The conjuration occupies the square and counts as an ally for the purpose of flanking. Any creature that starts its turn next to the appendage gets attacked. The conjuration lasts until the end of your next turn.
Target: A creature adjacent to the conjuration
Attack: Wisdom +2 vs. AC
Hit: 1d6+Wisdom damage.
Special: Increase damage to 2d6+Wisdom damage at 11th level.
Increase damage to 3d6+Wisdom damage at 21st level.

Last edited:

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Great stuff! I would actually prefer it if you would "reinvent the wheel" and come up with all-new feats for Eberron's deities. Perhaps other posters will create some.

• Balinor:
Eagle Eyes of Balinor
Distance will not protect the prey from the hunter.
Encounter • Divine
Minor Action Personal
Effect: The range of your next Ranged or Area attack, or your next ranged weapon attack, is extended by 5 squares.
5 squares isn't very far. Why not 10 squares?

Spatula

Explorer
Great stuff! I would actually prefer it if you would "reinvent the wheel" and come up with all-new feats for Eberron's deities. Perhaps other posters will create some.

5 squares isn't very far. Why not 10 squares?
Hm, why not 20? :) That was one of the powers I wasn't very happy with. I suppose you're right in that +5 squares isn't so hot; I was thinking that was double the range for a lot of normal cleric or paladin ranged attack. But I think I have a better idea for Balinor's power anyway.

As for all-new feats, I think that works in some cases but some of the PHB ones are good, solid powers that embody universal concepts very well. Armor of Bahamut is a great power for a Protection domain-type faith, and protection is the primary focus of the Silver Flame, so that's just a great natural fit. Then there's Moradin's power, which I didn't reuse because it had no real analog in Eberron - there's no anti-giant faith.

And then there's just certain portfolios that are hard to come up with good ideas for. Arawai (agriculture) and Boldrei (community) are two good examples there, and I was happy to steal powers for those two. :)

I think there's a pitfall too, in that in trying to come up with something that is very similar to, but not quite the same as, another power, you'll produce something that is either different just for the sake of being different - and what's the point of that - or something that is just plain better. I think I saw mention of an anti-undead Channel Divinity feat in the FRPG that's flat-out better than Pelor's Radiance, which (if true) would be some ridiculous power creep for being so soon in the splatbook cycle. And it's not like clerics need better anti-undead tools, even... If you already have a serviceable anti-undead power that's not being used in the setting, and you need an anti-undead power... use what's already been designed & tested.

That said, I think the Traveller, Olladra, and maybe Aureon could use their own feats. Although that's mostly because I'm not a fan of those particular Channel Divinity powers.

Last edited:

Spatula

Explorer
• Aureon:
Lore of Aureon
You draw upon the limitless knowledge of Aureon.
Encounter • Divine
Free Action Personal
Effect: Your next Arcana, Dungeoneering, History, Nature, or Religion check gains a +5 power bonus (+10 power bonus at 21st level). You can also make use of trained-only applications of the skill, even if it is not one of your trained skills.

• Balinor:
Eagle Eyes of Balinor
Balinor guides your hand as you attempt to bring down your prey.
Encounter • Divine
Minor Action Personal
Effect: You ignore cover and concealment penalties on your next attack roll. You must still target the proper square if the target has superior concealment.

• The Dragon Below:
Grasp of the Dragon Below
A horrid tentacle or diabolic claw rises from the ground to attack your enemies.
Encounter • Conjuration, Divine, Implement
Standard Action Ranged 5
Effect: A manifestation of the Dragon Below rises from the ground in an empty square within range. The conjuration occupies the square and counts as an ally for the purpose of flanking. Any creature that starts its turn next to the appendage gets attacked. The conjuration lasts until the end of your next turn.
Target: A creature adjacent to the conjuration
Attack: Wisdom +2 vs. AC
Hit: 1d6+Wisdom damage.
Special: Increase damage to 2d6+Wisdom damage at 11th level.
Increase damage to 3d6+Wisdom damage at 21st level.

---
The Dragon Below power is based off an artificer encounter power, but much weaker. The 3e Dragon Below domain was themed around summoning, so I wanted something that captured a bit of that flavor.

For Aureon, I wasn't fond of the Ioun feat. On reflection it occured to me that defense against mental attacks is much more the province of the Path of the Light and its practioners' struggle against the Dreaming Dark. While a bonus to knowledge checks isn't that sexy, it should ensure that the player automatically knows something useful about any monster encountered. Also, INT is not normally a useful score for clerics or paladins, so their Arcana/Religion scores are usually not very good. The bonus would also help out with ritual casting, which seems appropriate, and helps put a cleric of Aureon on more equal footing with the INT-focused wizard.

The Balinor feat is useful to both melee & ranged builds (instead of just ranged attacks/powers).

For the Undying Court I am thinking that its feat should be some kind of buff resulting from embodying an undying elven hero, like the Hero's Blade domain spell.

The Blood of Vol, I'm not so sure about. A necrotic attack? A control undead power? A vampiric attack?

Any comments or suggestions?

Last edited:

Spatula

Explorer
• The Blood of Vol:
The Blood is Life
Your foe is not worthy of the gift of life; its blood shall belong to the righteous instead.
Encounter • Divine, Healing, Implement, Necrotic
Standard Action Ranged 5
Target: One non-animate creature
Attack: Wisdom vs Fortitude
Hit: 1d10+Wisdom necrotic damage. You gain the same amount as temporary hit points. If this attack dropped the target to 0 or fewer hit points, you can spend a healing surge instead of gaining temporary hit points, and the target’s corpse becomes withered and dessicated.
Special: Increase damage to 2d10+Wisdom necrotic damage at 11th level.
Increase damage to 3d10+Wisdom necrotic damage at 21st level.

---
I'm pretty happy with this; I think it captures the attitude of the cult very well: life is precious and blood is its source; those who have been shown to deserve death do not deserve the gift of blood. Better that it be put to use in empowering the faithful.

Last edited:

Spatula

Explorer
Regarding clerics of pantheons... In 3e they could choose any 2 domains offered by the gods of the pantheon. I would think that in 4e, such clerics could take any Channel Divinity feats offered by the gods of the pantheon. Having multiple CD feats increases your options but not your power, since you can still only use it once per encounter, so that seems like it would not be a problem.

Does the FRPG address the worship of pantheons at all?

Remove ads