Tavern Thread: The Hanged Man

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
After talking to the slight woman at the bar for a moment, Raiyek decides to rejoin the group. "Well, my lady, I believe I'll rejoin that large group over there," he says, motioning to the table with his glass. "Please, feel free to join us! No sense in not getting to know your possible future companions, right?" the paladin finishes with a charming wink.

Walking back across to his vacant seat at the table, he takes his seat with a silent smile and a subtle glance to check on his equipment. Satisfied that things are in order, he sits and listens for a moment to see where the conversation has gotten to. As he listens he lets his thoughts go where they will. Les is certainly right, there's enough of us here for at least two clients. Haha, but where's the fun without a little competition? Speaking of, I wonder if there's anyplace where we can get a little exercise in with that competition ... none of us will be very attractive to patrons if all we do is sit and drink in a tavern all day, getting soft. Hmmm ... perhaps a topic for later.

Dawn Raven

First Post
I too grew up near mountains. Here she pauses and contemplates what to say next. Is it a good idea to let mention where I grew up? These people all seem to be from some far away place...I do not know if they have the same opprobrium for individuals from the Laughing Gallows. But do I care? If I do end up traveling with some, or any of them, than they will eventually find out. But it is best to keep a low profile in that respect for now...

But I never dared to travel up them. They were vicious peaks filled with danger and death. I much rather spend my time on the shifting waves of a mercurial sea. Always changing, and yet always the same. A unique quiescence that is never motionless.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Larinza looks to the group, tiring of being out of the discussions she walks over to some of the patrons and introduces herself.

My father taught me to stick to the flatlands. My grandfather however taught me of his campaigns in the mountains, he did teach me to stay away from the sea however. Men are not fish he said, and there's no room to swing your sword on the deck of a ship. I guess someday I'll find out for myself however. Oh, Hi, I'm Larinza.

Dawn Raven

First Post
Larinza looks to the group, tiring of being out of the discussions she walks over to some of the patrons and introduces herself.

My father taught me to stick to the flatlands. My grandfather however taught me of his campaigns in the mountains, he did teach me to stay away from the sea however. Men are not fish he said, and there's no room to swing your sword on the deck of a ship. I guess someday I'll find out for myself however. Oh, Hi, I'm Larinza.

A slow turn of the head draws a pair of yellow eyes onto the woman standing across the table. Les looks at the human and shakes her head. "Larinza, you say? Hello there. I think your grandfather might have been a bit too frightened of the water." With this, the githyanki smiles and lifts her chalice to her lips to take a drink. However, before Larinza can respond, she places the wine back on the table and continues.

"Of course, I only jest. It is difficult to fight on a ship but it is a completly amazing experience. The shift of the ocean beneath the deck, the salty spray across your face and the knowledge that anyone in heavy armor can easily be given a watery death. I think there's plenty of room to fight too! And I require more room than a sword with my unique...taste...in weaponry. Oh, and welcome to our humble gathering.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
A slow turn of the head draws a pair of yellow eyes onto the woman standing across the table. Les looks at the human and shakes her head. "Larinza, you say? Hello there. I think your grandfather might have been a bit too frightened of the water." With this, the githyanki smiles and lifts her chalice to her lips to take a drink. However, before Larinza can respond, she places the wine back on the table and continues.

"Of course, I only jest. It is difficult to fight on a ship but it is a completly amazing experience. The shift of the ocean beneath the deck, the salty spray across your face and the knowledge that anyone in heavy armor can easily be given a watery death. I think there's plenty of room to fight too! And I require more room than a sword with my unique...taste...in weaponry. Oh, and welcome to our humble gathering.
Raiyek throws his voice into the conversation once again, "Ah, and there's a perfectly good reason for some of us to avoid ships!" Tapping his breastplate a couple times to emphasize his point, he continues, "I'll tell you, my prayers to Poseeydus were foremost in my mind on the ship here from Mykonos, haha!"

"You mentioned your 'unique' taste in weaponry ... I noticed that you don't seem to be wearing any armor or carrying any weapons. Seems odd for one in our line of work. What kind of taste in weapons do you have then? Are you one of those fighters that prefers hidden blades and subtlety to heavy armor and big weapons?" Seemingly genuinely curious, Raiyek leans forward in his chair a bit, intent on Les' response.

Dawn Raven

First Post
Raiyek throws his voice into the conversation once again, "Ah, and there's a perfectly good reason for some of us to avoid ships!" Tapping his breastplate a couple times to emphasize his point, he continues, "I'll tell you, my prayers to Poseeydus were foremost in my mind on the ship here from Mykonos, haha!"

"You mentioned your 'unique' taste in weaponry ... I noticed that you don't seem to be wearing any armor or carrying any weapons. Seems odd for one in our line of work. What kind of taste in weapons do you have then? Are you one of those fighters that prefers hidden blades and subtlety to heavy armor and big weapons?" Seemingly genuinely curious, Raiyek leans forward in his chair a bit, intent on Les' response.

Les tilts her head at Raiyek and a slow, fatuous smile spreads across her face. Her laughter rings like the tinkling of the bells on a caribou's sleigh. She reaches beneath the table to where she had tossed her satchel, a thick leather sack with a single strap made of swamp lizard leather. She drops the satchel to the floor again and shoves it under her feet. As it falls, a large clank echoes through the room.

Unique, maybe. But suicidal, not at all. While I understand the benefits of not wearing armor on a ship, I equally appreciate how a layer of metal between myself and a foe's blade is a much better replacement for cloth. I simply choose not to walk around armed and armored all the time. I much prefer to languish in the scanty protection of my own clothing. Les runs her fingers over the silk shirt she is wearing and smiles again.

If indeed someone comes in soon to hire; I will assume that there will be time to prepare for adventure and battle ahead. Until then, I will relax, drink and enjoy the lightweight and sweat-free garb I prefer.

Brutoni

First Post
Merenwen laughs in a light but full way, the laughter echoing through the room, she turns to the Paladin and the Githkin after nodding in greeting to the new human. "Metal armour is so restrictive. It is hot, you can't breath or move properly in it... No a decent suit of breathable leather is far more preferable. It offers protection, doesn't stink and allows you to move and use more... unique... talents!" She smiles at the paladin, sub conciously licking her pink tinged lips, her purple eyes intent on his obvious style of weaponary. "Though of course i prefer to kill from a distance, it seems you enjoy being up close and, personal, with your foes?" Her eyes dance with what could be humour, jest, flirtation or genuine curiosity.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Where is the honour in killing your foes at a distance? Where is the glory hiding in the shadows like a coward?

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Merenwen laughs in a light but full way, the laughter echoing through the room, she turns to the Paladin and the Githkin after nodding in greeting to the new human. "Metal armour is so restrictive. It is hot, you can't breath or move properly in it... No a decent suit of breathable leather is far more preferable. It offers protection, doesn't stink and allows you to move and use more... unique... talents!" She smiles at the paladin, sub conciously licking her pink tinged lips, her purple eyes intent on his obvious style of weaponary. "Though of course i prefer to kill from a distance, it seems you enjoy being up close and, personal, with your foes?" Her eyes dance with what could be humour, jest, flirtation or genuine curiosity.
When Merenwen asks her question, the paladin's smile falters for a second, leaving a confused look on his face. Kill from a distance, is it? *sigh* Stop it, Raiyek. Give her a chance, just give her a chance. Berating himself once again for being so paranoid, he forces himself to respond. Before he can, however, Larinza puts in her thoughts.
Where is the honour in killing your foes at a distance? Where is the glory hiding in the shadows like a coward?
Hmm, an interesting view, if somewhat naive. I can't deny the efficiency of killing without the target even knowing of your presence, I know how misused such methods can be. "A valid point, Larinza. I must say I agree with you to some degree, and one might even say that is the reason why I fight the way I do - up close, though not always without subtlety. But some do not fight for glory or honour, preferring anonymity, at least to their enemies." What's this, I'm defending her now? I really am confused.

After a very brief moment with his thoughts, the elf continues.
"Also, to kill at a distance you need to have distance between you and your foe. That would be my specialty - keeping the foes occupied to give people like yourself the room they need,"
he replies to Merenwen with a wink and a smile, though the smile is weaker than before. "And a sturdy shield and thick plate helps much more in that situation than the ability to move without hindrance, for myself, at least. As for foes, I must say I haven't had very many 'foes', nor have I done much killing. During most of my service to the Imperium, I was more of a glorified constable than anything else." A wistful look in his eyes, he stares off into the distance for a moment, before returning his attention to the conversation at hand. "What of the rest of you? I'm sure someone must have stories of daring adventures and desperate battle!"

ukingsken

First Post
What is glorious about defeat? What is noble in allowing the enemy to rape your families because you are unwilling to do what is necessary? In my kingdom we are at constant war with the shadow, always under assault, directly and indirectly. In a war, honor, glory, nobility, these are qualities defined by the winners. In the Jade empire we fight to win, to survive.

The passion is obvious in Vashik's voice, and in his white knuckled grip on the ale flagon. He seems like he is about to continue but then subsides and begins to slowly sip his ale once more.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases