Tavern Thread: The Hanged Man

fireinthedust

Explorer
Emral rubs his chin at the Skull lord's display. Well, he forgot about the manly-girl sissy-ladies, for one thing, a powerful demographic of adventurers... and since someone has to stick up for the disenfranchised, that would seem to be me! I'm in. If I survive this, I'll likely be ready for anything.

[sblock=ooc] Emral is a Genasi Wizard, and I opted for fire spells. He can do Firesoul manifestation, and Watersoul after a rest. I've never done an arena or played a wizard in 4e, so I think I'll get into combat as a PC. [/sblock]

Last edited:

fireinthedust

Explorer
I'm in, and a wizard. I vote we go after the skeletons first, simply because I can clear the floor with a few spells, if I can get behind a good party to keep the skeletons away from me.
Master Finnian, Master Hadarai, well met. I think we could use at least one, maybe two more for our group. Perhaps a Cleric, to protect us from the Undead?
He looks about the tavern, pointedly at the warriors and priests nearby.

[sblock=ooc] Hey all. The DM for the thread says we get to pick our own party for this, and which of the fights we want to do first. I vote skeletons, because if there are a lot of them I can smash a lot of them with my spells.
Finnian: if you're a beastmaster (not a two-blade ranger) what's your Animal Companion? I have martial power, and beastmasters look fun; good for flanking, but also cool that they have a sidekick to rp with.

Judges: if we fight a lot of monsters in L4W, do we get more xp faster? pbp can be slow, and I have sooo many fun options I've never tried (as games havn't gotten up to high levels for me yet).[/sblock]

weldon

Explorer
Emral is it. Well, if you like to fight half as much as you like to talk then I think we'll be just fine.

Finnian holds his hand out with a smirk across his face.

As long as this fight is outdoors, I might have a trick up my sleeve too. I have a, well I guess you'd call it a "trained" hawk that can distract an opponent. Doesn't sound like this Turtledome is too concerned about rules anyways.

Finnian's smirk has erupted into a huge grin, clearly relishing the idea of a proper street fight.

[sblock=OOC]I thought beastmaster looked fun too. I did it more for flavor than mechanics, so I'll have to learn the tactics. Well, I have to learn 4E tactics first I guess. For the flavor part, Finnian is an outsider bastard half-elf raised in a human village. He's a lot closer to his hawk companion than any person. This also explains the eagerness to get into this fight tourney. He grew up scrapping with the human kids his whole life, usually outnumbered.[/sblock]

Last edited:

fireinthedust

Explorer
Emral takes the ranger's hand and shakes it.

I got a look at the dome; it's a tortoise the size of a... I don't know, a town! I read about gladiator combat in giant arenas, so I believe we'll be under the open sky.

[sblock=ooc]Beastmaster, from what I've read, will use up a lot of your actions every round moving your Eagle around the field (though very quickly). However, having a Warlord in the party means you (and everyone else) will get more actions, covering for what you've spent (I'm thinking a must for Beastmaster play, having a Warlord); and any other way to get more actions in combat (opportunity attacks, move acitons, whatever; don't know what's available to do that; feats, maybe?)... just thinking outloud, never played with a warlord or beastmaster.

I hope we get some more players soon; I'm thinking we've got a great party coming up for this: Leader (warlord), Striker (ranger), Controller (me)... if we get a defender of some sort we're set with ye classic 4e party, but I'm thinking a cleric or warlord would be great, too (cough, meatshields).
There's a thread up for the game, and it's got listed our choices for which combat we want to do. I don't know if there are multiple parties in this, but I'm interested in starting with the minion skeletons.
[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=more monsters killed = more XP]

Judges: if we fight a lot of monsters in L4W, do we get more xp faster? pbp can be slow, and I have sooo many fun options I've never tried (as games havn't gotten up to high levels for me yet).

Yes, you get xp for all the monsters you kill, as outlined in the DMG. If you kill five skeletons, you get five times as much xp as if you had killed one skeleton.

The downside, of course, is that in order to get the xp, you have to win the fight. And we've seen that KenHood is a sick, twisted clever individual. ;)

However, we also have time XP in L4W; see the charter sticky thread for details. For that, you don't need to win.
[/sblock]

KenHood

First Post
OOC: So that would be 25 XP per minion skeleton, for 100 skeletons, putting the total XP value at 2500, divided by 5 players, setting the net amount per character at 500 XP...

Oh, uh, sorry. Pay no attention to my ramblings. Just typing 'out loud'...

I'm probably joking anyway. There was only a handful of skeletons on the Turtle's 'presentation deck' and 'Legion' is most likely hyperbole...

:]

weldon

Explorer
This city only gets stranger. If they want to set up a match, why do they bother making it look like a tortoise? Skeletons, huh? Seems like a pretty lame name to choose for a wrestling team. Do they wear skull masks, too?

Finnian chuckles at his own joke, little realizing...

Let's head on over there and get signed up. I'm sure we can find one or two more to join us.

Finnian picks up his gear and heads for the door.

Reklaw

First Post
Drivan is in as well...

Drivan says, "Well, as long as two wizards isn't too much I'm in as well. Together we should be able to be put down a few monsters." Seeing Finnian heading out the door he drowns the last of his brandy. He straightens up, adjusting his robe as he heads out the door.

OOC
How do I make the little boxes around the OOC so that you have to click show to see it?

weldon

Explorer
Finnian stops to hold the door open for Drivan and anyone else that might be coming...

[sblock=OOC]I just figured out how to use the OOC block myself. You use the block tag "sblock" (inside brackets, of course). You can set the "title" for the block by adding an ='title' like so... "sblock=OOC". When you're done, just type the closing /sblock in brackets and you're all set.[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases