Tavern Thread: The Hanged Man

N3rday

First Post
Light pours into the Hanged Man Inn as the doors swing open, revealing a surprisingly clean-shaven Orc. The stranger struts forward confidently, his chest high and forward and his long, flowing hair waving behind him as he walks. Strangely, this Orc has no bone necklaces, no skulls hanging from his belt; instead, simple hide armor and a shiny broadsword and shield accompany him. Surveying the tables, he walks towards one and flashes a quick smile at the barmaid. The Orc pulls up a chair, taking a seat next to a small Halfling.

“Mind if I sit?” he asks rhetorically as he leans his broadsword against the table. “Name’s Xoc. Nice to see a friendly face around here, I was hoping not to have to sit next to the dragon over there – looks like he’s lost in his own thoughts.” Xoc turns to the barmaid, who seems surprised at the Orc's friendliness. “Yes, I’ll take an ale, and a tall glass of milk for the shortling here,” he says, winking at her.

The barmaid places the drinks on the table. As soon as she turns around, Xoc switches the glasses, offering the ale to the Halfling and drinking the milk in short gulps. “Ale's on me. So, you look like an interesting person. What’s your name, and what brings you to the Hanged Man?”

[sblock=OOC]Hey, I'm totally new to D&D and roleplaying in general, so if I mess anything up, let me know. I've submitted this character for approval, so hopefully he should get approved before the next adventure starts. I'm a pretty fast learner, so hopefully I'll get the hang of things pretty quick. Thanks to the community for all the help you've given me so far![/sblock]

industrygothica

Adventurer
Carolina tenses a bit as the orc takes the seat next to her, and wonders briefly what kind of brass parts it takes for a full-blooded orc to prance into a tavern and have a seat without so much as a backward glance.

Her first instinct, of course, was to cu tout his throat and rest it on the bar in front of him. She stayed her hand, however; this place was different, and apparently the rules were different here as the barmaid set the drinks in front the clean-shaven savage. She tried but failed to suppress the grin as he swapped the drinks, and she finally turned to look at him as she set the empty first glass back onto the bar.

"Carolina," she says simply. "What brings any of us here, really?" She nodded toward the orc with a wink, and tipped the new glass up to her small lips.

skotothalamos

formerly roadtoad
Vrrsk't opens one eye upon hearing the word "dragon" drift across the room. He seems to briefly notice the orc and halfling in conversation before being distracted by the whiskey in front of him. He holds it up in front of his mouth and puffs out a tiny bit of fire, igniting the top of the alcohol. He eyes his concoction briefly and then downs it in one gulp, not bothering to extinguish the flame.

He seems to savor the drink for a moment. Then, smiling, he roars, "Another!" and stacks several gold pieces on his table. He then seems to go back to his meditation as the barmaid eyes him and his small stack of money warily.

N3rday

First Post
Xoc finishes the last gulp of milk, careful to keep any from running down his chin. "Good to meet you, Carolina." He gestures to the barmaid, making a motion with his hands that imitates taking a shot of hard liquor. "Well, if you're looking for a party, you've found the right man. I'm here for some coin and some good fighting - an Orc can only do so much honest work before the warlust creeps back into his veins."

The barmaid sets a shot of whiskey in front of Xoc, and he nods in gratitude. "Judging by the armor, that knight over there is in the same position. I suppose we ought to play nice." Xoc faces the dragonborn, raising his shot of whiskey and flashing a wide grin. As he turns his back to the knight, he unfastens the hide armor from his right leg, revealing an open gash that looks like it might be infected. Xoc winces as he turns the whiskey shot upside down over the wound. "...gah, that burns something fierce. So, what's your trade, Carolina? Magic, bow, or dagger?

skotothalamos

formerly roadtoad
Vrrsk't thanks the barmaid for his new whiskey with a nod of his head. he raises his glass in response to Xoc's toast, then repeats his flaming whiskey trick. As he sees Xoc expose his wound and pour whiskey on it, the large dragonborn seems alarmed. He rises from his chair and walks over to the orc.

"Pardon me," he says, "but your leg looks decidedly unhealthy. That firewater is better suited to soothing ailments of the mind than the body. Only the cleansing fires of Apoli can be trusted to purify that wound and remove the evil that festers inside it."

He then stands there, expectantly, not even noticing that he has failed to introduce himself or perform any other social niceties.

industrygothica

Adventurer
"Looks nasty," the halfling says as the orc brandishes his open wound. She watches the dragonborn approach from the corner of her eye, and again raises the glass to her lips while he provides a suitable distraction that keeps her from answering questions best left unanswered.

N3rday

First Post
"Ah, A holy warrior! I should have guessed." Xoc stands up. "I was just going to walk it off - an old Orc method of healing, you know. But if your god wants to bestow his favor upon a humble mortal like myself, who am I to refuse him?" He extends a hand out to the stranger. "The name's Xoc, and I trust I am in capable hands."

skotothalamos

formerly roadtoad
"Perhaps I should be more clear," says Vrrsk't, "The Everburning Sky Dragon works his will through my hands, but I do not presume to know what His judgment will be. I can channel his will, but if you are found wanting, his cleansing fire may hurt more than it heals. Are you still willing to put yourself in my hands?"

His hands glow brightly, as if two tiny suns were about to burst forth from them.

[sblock=OOC]You're more likely to know whether the Lawful Good aspect of Apoli being channeled by Vrrsk't is more likely to heal or harm Xoc, so you can take it from here.[/sblock]

N3rday

First Post
Xoc smiles as the rays of light warm his face. "You know, they say we Orcs are a savage, brutal race. Yet, I have seen more injustice done at the hands of greedy humans and pompous elves than from any greenskin." He steps forward on his injured leg.

"I'd very much like to hear your god's opinion on the matter," Xoc says as he offers his wound to the Paladin. "Cleanse away."

[sblock=OOC]Xoc's alignment is Good, but not Lawful Good. I'm totally new to the game, so I'll let you decide how that affects the spell, if it does.[/sblock]

skotothalamos

formerly roadtoad
Vrrsk't touches Xoc's leg and closes his eyes. Tendrils of impossibly bright flame spring forth from the dragonborn's scaly hands and wrap themselves around the orc's leg. Xoc feels a burning senstion which quickly transforms to a comfortable, soothing heat. The flames subside, Vrrsk't's hands return to a non-glowing shade of red-and-yellow, and Xoc's leg wound is gone.

"Pleasure to meet you," says Vrrsk't with a broad, toothy grin. "I'm Vrrsk't." He collects his gear from his old table and sits next to Xoc. "What brings you to Daunton?"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases