Starter Set - $16.99

Mercurius

Legend
I just noticed that the 4E Starter Set is only $16.99, as compared to the $24.95 list price for the 3E Basic Game. I remember talk on this board or elsewhere about how Wizards should have a cheaper, simpler, and more accessible starter set to lure people into (or back to) playing D&D. Maybe they listened? Anyways, good thinking Wizards; I might even purchase that for my group, to start sometime in Oct or Nov, that is composed mainly of people who haven't played since 2E.

Interesting. I hadn't noticed that, being not really interested in a Starter Set.

I suppose this means the set will not include fully-fledged core books, but only a subset?

(I could see it covering only the Heroic tier or a subset of classes)

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
what it is:

This new box-set makes it easier than ever to start playing Dungeons & Dragons immediately.

The D&D Roleplaying Game Starter Set introduces the complex world of D&D play to new fans in simple, easy-to-understand ways while retaining the fantastic inspiration of the full game experience.

This product includes an introductory version of the 4th Edition rules, dice, map tiles, and an adventure to get started playing right away!

JeffB

Legend
Noticably smaller page-count than KOTS.

I suspect this will be like the original 3.0 starter set (The Adventure Begins! Dun dun dun...). i.e. It will prolly have a few pre-gens, a stripped down version of KOTS' stripped down rules, and a "goblins have kidnapped a unicorn" scenario or two :)

Which, I'm not so sure is the right way to go-hence the 3.5 expanded versions. Then again, maybe those bigger versions didn't sell well at the higher price point, which wouldn't surprise me either.

I still feel those original D&D basic sets (Holmes through Mentzer) are the best type of starter set. Yet WOTC (and TSR for several years in it's latter days ) has felt the "boardgame" approach is better. Of course I'm not saying that WOTC is stupid- I just wonder if the new approach ever meets business goals, and why the "old basic set approach" is no longer used.

Maybe a good topic for a forked thread? IDK :shrug:

Noticably smaller page-count than KOTS.

I suspect this will be like the original 3.0 starter set (The Adventure Begins! Dun dun dun...). i.e. It will prolly have a few pre-gens, a stripped down version of KOTS' stripped down rules, and a "goblins have kidnapped a unicorn" scenario or two :)

Which, I'm not so sure is the right way to go-hence the 3.5 expanded versions. Then again, maybe those bigger versions didn't sell well at the higher price point, which wouldn't surprise me either.

I still feel those original D&D basic sets (Holmes through Mentzer) are the best type of starter set. Yet WOTC (and TSR for several years in it's latter days ) has felt the "boardgame" approach is better. Of course I'm not saying that WOTC is stupid- I just wonder if the new approach ever meets business goals, and why the "old basic set approach" is no longer used.

Maybe a good topic for a forked thread? IDK :shrug:

I like those basic set boxed sets too. They provided all the rules needed to play within a narrow level range, an adventure and included dice.

The problem with producing those types of sets today is the page count would be too to high to offer at that price point.

Irda Ranger

First Post
Too few details to know if it's a good value. For instance,
  • Pre-gen characters or rules for levels 1-3?
  • Pre-written quest or mini-setting & some hooks, like Keep on the Borderlands?
  • A few highly detailed floor plans or a "fill in" overland map?

A book with pre-gen characters, one pre-written adventure and 2-3 high-detail floor plans (1) provides a poor (and inaccurate) example of what "real" D&D is like, and (2) provides zero replay value. That's harmful to both WotC and potential D&D players.

#1 is harmful to WotC because D&D is a particular kind of game, and misrepresenting it in the Starter Kit will heighten (and later crash) expectations among people looking for something more like "Chess: Talisman Edition" while also driving off people who would be interested in what D&D actually is but are not interested in D&D as the Starter Kit presents it.

#2 is harmful to WotC because (IMO) players who run through Save The Unicorn once will "graduate" to full D&D at a much lower rate than players who "experience" Keep on the Borderlands over and over again as different PCs trying different options. They won't graduate as quickly, but it's a safer sell.

I think WotC is afraid of (A) scaring off kids with stuff that's 'too hard' and (B) eating into Core Rules sales. My answer to #A is that kids are smart and like to be challenged as long as its fun (WoW and Halo can be hard), and my answer to #B is "Don't be stupid. No one who really likes the Starter Kit will ever be satisfied with just levels 1-3."

Last edited:

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I don't agree at all that it misrepresents D&D. It may mis-represent how you and many others play it, but there are plenty of people that just run pre-written adventures, with no campaign background.

As for the set, I'm guessing here, but I'd guess the lower price point implies no minis, but instead will have tokens/counters.

there is plenty of re-use chances with pre-made tiles that can be configured in different ways. I use the starter set tiles all the time in other adventures.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases