Dr. Si's Curse of the Crimson Throne OOC

airwalkrr

Adventurer
WD, I own only a smattering of Pathfinder books, I'm much more fond of purchasing the game kits so I was not aware of that. I am, however, in general opposed to the Planescapeization and tieflingmania that has seemed to grip the D&D community for the last 10 years. Tieflings have their place, and its on the end of my paladin's lance. But that's just my opinion. I don't mean to impugn your ability to play the character well. Just so you realize my dwarf isn't going to trust your character one ounce without a hundred pounds worth of proof. In other words, he might start letting him watch over him while he sleeps by around 5th or 6th level, assuming we get that far and he's well-behaved.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Answer

Skills - base skill points 2, +1 for being human, +2 for Intelligence. You can select Duskblade as has favoured class (being human) so you could get one extra skill point *o* or one extra hit point. Choose 5 (or 6) skills.

Feats - Level 1 feat, human base feat. I seem to be missing where the thrid feat comes from.
There are three? I'll check, I played with different combinations (including Bonded weapon that I relegated until later when I'm able to have masterwork...same for power attack...I'll stick with tripper build for now altough before I'm able to channel power attack might be better...

Spells - By my reckoning spells per day should be 3/3. Also, choose 2 of the 0th level spells as Spells Known (2 0th and 2 1st at 1st class level).
2+INT bonus = 4 for 0th unless it's your ruling to be different then standard class. Yes, it should be 3/3

I think the guisarme damage is wrong too - should it not be 2d4+6 (Str bonus +4 x 1.5)?
As far as I know (and assuming pathfinder follows same rules) it's
1 x STR bonus for 1HD weapons (longsword etc)
1.5 x STR bonus for 1HD weapons wielded in two hands and
2 x STR bonus for true 2HD weapons (greatsword and polearms)
BUT I'll check it.
[sblock=EDIT: Checked, my bad, sorry]

One-Handed: A one-handed weapon can be used in either the
primary hand or the off hand. Add the wielder’s Strength bonus to
damage rolls for melee attacks with a one-handed weapon if it’s used
in the primary hand, or 1/2 his or her Strength bonus if it’s used in
the off hand. If a one-handed weapon is wielded with two hands
during melee combat, add 1-1/2 times the character’s Strength
bonus to damage rolls.
Two-Handed: Two hands are required to use a two-handed melee
weapon effectively. Apply 1-1/2 times the character’s Strength
bonus to damage rolls for melee attacks with such a weapon.

[/sblock]

In the end, few questions:
At third level duskblades gets to channel his touch spells through the weapon. When I initiate trip it is touch attack as is with spell. Question is, does the spell discharge at that point (as I'd expect, as it is touch spell and it doesn't depend on whether opponent manages to remain on his feet) or I have to wait for follow up attack (which includes armor class and will come only if opponent is knocked prone)

How would Bonded Item work if I take it at first level where it cannot be masterwork for simple lack of funds? I'll probably just leave it until 3rd or even 6th level (assuming we get that far)

How do you treat power attack? That is, can I transfer only BAB to damage (does getting 2xHD as max) or I can assign strength and other bonuses (which could be terrible in True strike scenario (+40))

Yes, religion is not Faerun, I have yet to lookup gods, it's just for flavor, he is educated in militant part of knowledge based church (that part that recovers lost knowledge and artifacts from dangerous places).

EDIT: looked up: now it's like this: he pays homage to Sarenrae as redeemer, Gorum as battlemaster, Nethys as ultimate mage, but he is devoted to Irori, knowledge and self-perfection appealing to his lonely self

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
... Tieflings have their place, and its on the end of my paladin's lance. But that's just my opinion. I don't mean to impugn your ability to play the character well. Just so you realize my dwarf isn't going to trust your character one ounce without a hundred pounds worth of proof. In other words, he might start letting him watch over him while he sleeps by around 5th or 6th level, assuming we get that far and he's well-behaved.
Sounds like the begin of a wonderful friendship (buddy-movie anyone?).
My tiefling doesn't trust fanatic 'I killed it because it looked evil' extremists. Your paladin has to earn his trust, too.

About the background: If I'm not misinformed, Asmodeus :)devil:) is one of the gods openly worshiped in Korvosa and sometimes hellknights patrol the street. Your character may have to mistrust others more than my character. ;)

Dr Simon

Explorer
There are three? I'll check, I played with different combinations (including Bonded weapon that I relegated until later when I'm able to have masterwork...same for power attack...I'll stick with tripper build for now altough before I'm able to channel power attack might be better...

Either works. Power Attack actually isn't great as a 1st level feat, when it comes down to it (see below). The tripper build is a nice change.

2+INT bonus = 4 for 0th unless it's your ruling to be different then standard class. Yes, it should be 3/3

I'm not seeing any mention of getting Int bonus to spells known, not for 0th level spells (only those cast as SLA due to Arcane Attunement). Here's what I've got from that Crystal Keep file:

"Spellcasting – Able to cast Spontaneous Intelligence-based Arcane spell from the Duskblade spell list (see page 180). At 1st level, a Duskblade knows two 0th level spells and two 1st level spells. Each subsequent levels, a Duskblade leans one spell of any level he/she can cast. Starting at 5th level (and every odd-numbered level afterwards), a Duskblade may replace one Known spell with another of the same level and they both must two levels below the highest the Duskblade is able to cast)."

Also, no other spontaneous spell-casting class that I know of gets bonus Spells Known due to ability scores. Spells per Day, yes, but not known.

In the end, few questions:
At third level duskblades gets to channel his touch spells through the weapon. When I initiate trip it is touch attack as is with spell. Question is, does the spell discharge at that point (as I'd expect, as it is touch spell and it doesn't depend on whether opponent manages to remain on his feet) or I have to wait for follow up attack (which includes armor class and will come only if opponent is knocked prone)

How would Bonded Item work if I take it at first level where it cannot be masterwork for simple lack of funds? I'll probably just leave it until 3rd or even 6th level (assuming we get that far)

How do you treat power attack? That is, can I transfer only BAB to damage (does getting 2xHD as max) or I can assign strength and other bonuses (which could be terrible in True strike scenario (+40))

I would rule that channel spell would work with the first attack (trip or otherwise), not on any followup. It only requires a touch attack after all, not a damaging strike.

By having a Bonded Item you side-step the requirements for it being masterwork prior to being enchanted. The bond provide the "basis" if you like for the enchantment.

Power Attack I treat as per the RAW - the maximum amount you can subtract from your attack roll is equal to your BAB. You add this amount (or twice for 2H weapons) to your damage. This is done before multiplying for criticals. Hence my comment earlier about not being a great 1st level feat - the best you can do is -1 attack, +2 damage, at a time when you usually need the attack bonus more than you do the extra damage.

Neurotic

Duskblade spells known

Directly from PHB II

Spells known:You begin play knowing two 0-level spells and two 1st level spell, chosen from duskblade spell list. You also know one additional 0-level spell for each point of intelligence bonus.
Each time you gain a new class level, you learn one additional spell of any level you can cast, chosen from the duskblade list.
Upon reaching 5th level etc etc etc

Dr Simon

Explorer
Directly from PHB II

Spells known:You begin play knowing two 0-level spells and two 1st level spell, chosen from duskblade spell list. You also know one additional 0-level spell for each point of intelligence bonus.
Each time you gain a new class level, you learn one additional spell of any level you can cast, chosen from the duskblade list.
Upon reaching 5th level etc etc etc

Fair enough. I guess the Crystal Keep file has an error in it.

Neurotic

Silly spell list

What is terrible in that spell list? It has 4 spells of 0th level. If you start with INT 16 you waste one spell to say nothing of INT 18.

Dr Simon

Explorer
What is terrible in that spell list? It has 4 spells of 0th level. If you start with INT 16 you waste one spell to say nothing of INT 18.

I think it's a strange way of doing cantrips for the duskblade - why give you some as SLAs and then only offer four on the spell list? Wierd. I'm not sure how that's supposed to work, flavour-wise.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Beta group is up
http://www.enworld.org/forum/playing-game/241813-dr-sis-curse-crimson-throne-beta-group.html

Waiting on Halford for the Alpha group, otherwise will start you off after the weekend.

Some further houserules (I'll put these in the first IC post too)

Posting guidelines:

- Choose a colour for IC speech.
- I'm a bit haphazard about OOC stuuf, if it's bit I put it in spoiler blocks, otherwise not.
- Generally in my games I do the dice rolling (using the engine at Pen, Paper and Pixel) but I don't complain if you give me Invisible Castle rolls sometimes.

Houserules:

- I'm using the "fast" experience rate from the Pathfinder Beta rules.
- I'm using the Disabled and Dying variant from Arcana Evolved. You are Disabled between 0 hp and your Con modifier as a negative number (if modifier is normally positive). If you have a Con higher than 10, you are Dying until you reach -Con hit points. The Half-Orc Ferocity racial trait increases your Disabled range by 1.

Example: Con 14 (+2 mod) means you are Disabled between 0 and -2 hp, Dying from -3 to -14 hp, and dead from -15 hp onwards. If you have Ferocity, you would be Disabled between 0 and -3 hp, Dying between -4 and -14 hp.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases