Dr. Si's Curse of the Crimson Throne OOC

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Interesting take on the wording of the Channel Energy ability, HM - I'd always considered the choice for affecting living vs. undead one to be made with each application of Channeling, and only the choice between positive and negative energy to be a one time only choice.

I still think that my interpretation is the intent of the rule, but in reading it over again the wording is surely ambiguous!

It's that last sentence it didn't seem to me to be geared towards the neutral cleric but towards all.

COPY/PASTE:
Channel Energy (Su): Regardless of alignment, any cleric can release a wave of energy by channeling the power of her faith through her holy (or unholy) symbol. This energy can be used to cause or heal damage, depending on the type of energy channeled and the creatures targeted.

A good cleric (or one who worships a good deity) channels positive energy and can choose to deal damage to undead creatures or to heal living creatures. An evil cleric (or one who worships an evil deity) channels negative energy and can choose to deal damage to living creatures or to heal undead creatures. A neutral cleric who worships a neutral deity (or one who is not devoted to a particular deity) must choose whether she channels positive or negative energy.

Once this choice is made, it cannot be reversed. This decision also determines whether the cleric casts spontaneous cure or inflict spells (see spontaneous casting).

This right here confused me but then I thought it was speaking on all the choices presented. I thought I would have more oppurtunity to heal the living as we wouldn't fight undead 5 times a day. :D

HM

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
I believe positive energy heals living and harms undead, while negative harms living and heals undead. It's same energy just depends on the recepient. If you cast cure light wounds on living character he is healed, if you cast it on a skeleton it is harmed by it.

Therefore, you choose whether you channel positive or negative energy, not whether you heal living or harm undead.

That's how I see it.

Dr Simon

Explorer
I believe positive energy heals living and harms undead, while negative harms living and heals undead. It's same energy just depends on the recepient. If you cast cure light wounds on living character he is healed, if you cast it on a skeleton it is harmed by it.

Therefore, you choose whether you channel positive or negative energy, not whether you heal living or harm undead.

That's how I see it.

That's what I thought too, although admittedly without a close reading of the rules. I'm pretty sure that the irrevocable choice is between channeling positive or negative energy, not between the effects of that.

Having re-read that section of the PRD, I'm still not clear, but it seems to me that, since the Channel Energy essentially replaces Turn Undead, that you should be able to choose whether it affects undead or living each time you use it. (I've a feeling that the Beta version did both at the same time...)

So, short answer, as far as I'm concerned, Brindom can choose to harm undead if he wants, as well as heal.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
HM, you might also want to look into the Selective Channeling feat. The main difficulty with channeling positive energy to heal the living is that you heal your living foes as well, so it's a very mixed blessing when used in combat. The Selective Channeling feat lets you specifiy a number of targets equal to your CHA modifier that are not affected - so you could exclude some foes from your healing at least . . .

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Awesome that Dr. Si says it can do both (makes me more useful). And I wonder how the playtesting went for this ability? And Mowgli thanks for the suggestion I really don't want to heal our enemies. So holy symbol ready Brindom will go forth.

HM

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Have a nice trip. When you return check the mail we used for HERO game, I have sent small request...

Dr Simon

Explorer
HP 15/31
Phew, next time I'll fight before I get to chewing part. Edmond ended up with only 3hp. Thanks for healing HolyMan!

Dr.Simon: What would be the punishment for derro if we take them out to the Citadel? I'm asking because if they would be punished by death and we have some invested power in that regard, we could simply execute derro for crimes commited by feeding them to the beast. I know, not good act by today standards, but before people were mutilated for theft and hanged for horse theft. And Korvosa is harsh city.

You reckon the derro would probably be summarily executed. They are almost certainly involved with necromancy, but derro also have something like the status of vermin. Like the imps and the chokers in the Shingles, it is acceptable to kill them on sight. The difference is, the derro hardly ever let themselves be seen.

As to autonomy, I think Kroft has a "dont' ask, don't tell" policy as far as, er, "extreme rendering" goes, as evidenced by her hints that she wouldn't shed any tears if somebody "accidentally" killed off the King of the Spiders.

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Dr.Si

Well don't worry about my ready action as I moved to far to to accomplish it .

says you may only take a 5' step the round you ready and action I will then Channel Energy vs. Undead as my Round 1 action. Let me know the effect I will add the fluff :lol:

HM

Dr Simon

Explorer
HolyMan - no probs, although you might want to re-consider your choice of action in light of Djhan's latest warning .

Neurotic - no free action, this isn't a surprise round as both parties are aware of the other. Readied actions are triggered by the appearance of the necrophidii on the stairs, putting your initiative count to just before the necrophidii. Actually, I should bump Brindom up to the snake skeletons are last, otherwise initiative order remains as it is. If the necros move out of Edmond's threatened zone, he get's an AoO.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases