Dr. Si's Curse of the Crimson Throne OOC

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I'm not sure how comfortable my dwarf would feel walking around surrounded by so many people associated with arcane magic and the Acadamae. :eek: I suppose he'll have to put his misgivings about arcane magic aside to maintain his honor by dealing with Gaedren. If this is the lot he has to do it with, so be it. Torag's will be done!

Dr Simon

Explorer
What do you think about Draconic Heritage Feats from Complete Arcane? Some are less useful given the Pathfinder rules, but some still seem fairly good to me... In a similar vein, feats from Dragon Magic and/or Races of the Dragon might be in-theme to help reinforce the draconic aspect of the character.

Finally, are spell choices limited to those in Pathfinder and its web enhancement, or can other sources like Spell Compendium, Complete Mage, and Player's Handbook II be used as well?

For the record, I don't have any of those books! I'd be happy to consider extra feats and spells, but you'd need to give me the details so I could consider them on a case-by-case basis.

Kinem, WD - characters look good to me on first glance. Interesting linked background, like it.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Neurotic - I've been thinking over the weekend. Since the AP starts at level 1, and via PbP will take a looooong time to get to seriously high levels, and since it moves at a slower pace, I'm going to allow the soulblade if you want to use it. It doesn't impact much at low level any way. I find that the PbP medium is quite good for playtesting ideas since you have longer to consider the impact, so... if you want to use the soulblade, go for it.

Shayuri

First Post
Hey...got delayed by travel snafu over the weekend...I'll try to have a finished sheet posted when I get home from work tonight.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Just checking over the characters:

WD - Because you have chosen a favoured class for tiefling you get either +1 skill point or +1 hit point, I don't think you've factored that in. If the numbers in square brackets next to your ability scores are meant to be the ability modifiers they need correcting. Otherwise good.

Kinem - By my calculations the attack bonus for Acid Dart should be +3 (+0 BAB, +2 Dex, +1 PBS). Have I missed something?

Valthosian

First Post
Name: Thorson Berith
Race: Half Orc
Class: Barbarian (Favored Class)
Level: 1
Alignment: Neutral
Deity: Gorum
HP: 32 (12 + 16 con + 3 from con mod + 1 favored class)
Enraged HP: 18
AC: 15 (4 from armor, 1 from dex), Touch: 11, FF: 14
Enraged AC: 13
BAB: 1
CMB: 5 (1 BAB + 4 Str)
Saves: Fort: +5 (2 from barbarian, 3 con) Will: -1, Reflex +1
Melee Attack: Greataxe +5 to hit, 1d12+8 (Crit 20 x 3)
Enraged Melee Attack: +7 to hit, 1d12+12 (Crit 20 x 3)
Ranged Attack: Throwing Axe(2) +2 to hit, 1d6 +4 (Crit 20 x 2)
Speed: 30 (30 base + 10 barbarian -10 Scale Armor)
Rage Points: 7 (4 + 3 con)
Initiative: +1 (1 dex)

Attributes (Cost/Base/Racial Modified/Modifier)
Str: 13/17/19/4
Dex: 5/13/13/1
Con: 7/16/16/3
Int: 0/8/8/-1
Wis: -4/7/9/-1
Cha: -1/8/8/-1

Skills: (RAW/Modified by armor)
Acrobatics 6/2 (5+ 1 dex - 4 armor penalty)
Intimidate 4 (5-1 cha)
Perception 4 (5 - 1 wis)

Feats:
Overhand Chop (Double strength bonus for 2 handed attacks rather than 1.5)

Equipment: (Starting Gold 105gp) 4 GP Remaining
Greataxe (-20)
Scale Mail (-50)
Throwing Axe x 2 (-16)
Adventuring Gear (-15)

Last edited:

Ambrus

Explorer
So is the two split games idea a certainty? Is it going ahead with the players belonging in each group as indicated or might characters be swapped between groups to improve party balance? Either way, I've started putting together my character and wanted to go over some details with the DM to get feedback on some ideas I'd had.[sblock=Dr Simon]In keeping with my proposed character's background, I'd like to make some changes to the base class to reflect its ties to the fey rather than dragons. First off is the name; Dragonfire becomes Feywind, to reflect its primary attack form's natural weather-based source. Also, to further differentiate the two versions of the class, I thought it might be better to make the Feywind Adept's breath weapon damage be primarily cold based rather than fire based; a gust of bone chilling north wind rather than searing flame. Fire and cold seem to be roughly as effective and common power-wise so I don't imagine the difference would be terribly significant overall.

In keeping with the Pathfinder system's rule for favored classes, we'd have to determine whether or not my character's class is a favored one for its race to know whether it would gain +1 skill point from it or not. As is, none of the Arcana Evolved species have favored classes AFAIK.

Considering the background of my character, would it make more sense to substitute Sylvan instead of Faen for its free racial language? As is, I doubt I'd ever have reason to speak Faen in the campaign. For my other bonus languages I was considering Halfling since my character appears to be one. Do you have any suggestions for another language appropriate for a guttersnipe urchin to know?

Dragonfire Adepts normally gain the Dragonblooded feat for free at first level, but since my character is related to the fey, I thought it might be more fitting to substitute the Fey Heritage feat from Complete Mage since it seems similarly themed. The Dragontouched feat requires a Cha of 11, grants the dragonblooded subtype, +1 hit point, +1 on Listen, Search and Spot checks, a +1 bonus on saving throws against paralysis and sleep as well as the ability to select other draconic feats as a sorcerer. Here's the Fey Heritage feat:

FEY HERITAGE [HERITAGE]
You are descended from creatures native to the fey realms.
You are naturally resistant to the most common effects
produced by your ancestors.
Prerequisite: Nonlawful alignment.
Benefit: You gain a +3 bonus on Will saving throws
against enchantment effects.

Edit: For my 1st level feat I was considering taking Entangling Exhalation from Races of the Dragon:

ENTANGLING EXHALATION [BREATH]
You can use your breath weapon to create an entangling
mesh of energy.
Prerequisite: Dragonblood subtype, breath weapon.
Benefit: When you use your breath weapon, you
can choose to enmesh all creatures in its area instead of
producing its normal effect. Your breath weapon deals only
half its normal damage; however, any creature that takes
damage from your breath weapon becomes entangled and
takes an extra 1d6 damage, of the same energy type as
normally dealt by your breath weapon, each round at the
start of your turn. This effect lasts for 1d4 rounds.
If your breath weapon doesn't deal energy damage,
creatures damaged by the initial breath are still entangled
but don't take additional damage on later rounds.

Please let me know what you think of these suggestions.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases