Dr. Si's Curse of the Crimson Throne OOC

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
I think the thing with Lamm was to give the players something in common and when they overcome it together a bond to acting in the future as a group. (Sorry I missed it.)

I would think that each little string is needed to see the whole picture on the weave, but some of it may just be ways of intoducing characters to help us along if we get stuck somewhere. Or a way of rescuing us should the fit hit the shan. ;)

HM

_

Dr Simon

Explorer
Well, I know, but I guess I don't get any points for that? ;)

Without giving too much away, I will offer these points:

Lamm serves mainly as shared background for the PCs, plus his possession of the Queen's brooch leads into the next part of the adventure, plus it serves to introduce Zellara and the Harrow deck.

In the Dead Warrens, you were searching for the parts of the dead Shoanti, not hunting Rolth. So the goal was achieved, even if elements were left unresolved...

As for the last three, they are linked by the plague - Brienna is a sort of harbinger of what comes next, in shutting down Lavenders the PCs have prevented deaths from people using a fake cure and as for this part, well the initial aim was to stop dumping of bodies in Racker's Alley (to stop further spread of the disease). Make of the presence of vampire spawn what you will.

With Edge of Anarchy particularly, some sections are designed to introduce important NPCs, some locations of Korvosa, some aspects of Korvosan life (often all three). Maybe one or two are only tangentially linked to the main plot, and there is scope for players to have a fair bit of free rein in what leads they follow - I guess this probabl;y works better in tabletop where it isn't so long between each section.

As the AP progresses, though, sub-plots and red herrings are trimmed away leaving a clearly defined objective for at least the last three installments, if not sooner.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
So of course it was fun RPing this morning with everyone and then I get the bad news this afternoon (see status and this thread http://www.enworld.org/forum/talking-talk/297614-hm-rolled-1-save.html for bad news).

So I will need Brindom to be NPCed the majority of this month. But I think since we have been playing for over a year you should know him pretty well Dr. Si :)

I promise to be back asap and hope for a little RP tomorrow morning too, before I have to pack up and leave my stuff behind.

Here's Hoping.

HM

Ambrus

Explorer
Castle Korvosa feels empty, almost half the guard are dead or incapacitated by blood veil. "They are saying that the dead will soon outnumber the living,"
Am I reading this right? Is the city approaching a 50% loss of population? How many days has it been since the first signs of illness? I thought it had been only a few days. :confused:

OOC: If Edmond knows about ratman in the sewers he goes to talk to the pack, not track this particular band.
I'm puzzled why you think Edmond might be on speaking terms with ratmen.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Am I reading this right? Is the city approaching a 50% loss of population? How many days has it been since the first signs of illness? I thought it had been only a few days. :confused:

Rumour is probably exaggerating the scale of things, and Kroft's stress and exhaustion may have inclined her to listen to dark hear-say that she'd normally ignore.

I'll have to check on the timescale, but I think it's been at least a couple of weeks since the disease first showed up with Brienna.

Ambrus

Explorer
Well, the party have been out in streets in the thick of it. So... what's a more accurate estimate of the city's losses so far?

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.

I'm puzzled why you think Edmond might be on speaking terms with ratmen.

Part of his history is essnetially growing in the sewers (and I mean IN the sewers) - besides, high streetwise can get you a talk regardless

Ambrus

Explorer
Would probably be about 10%.
Having reread the thread, it seems that it's been about five or six days since the party cured Brienna and, according to her mother, the girl had started showing symptoms about five days before that; so maybe 10-11 days in all.

Still, for a span of only a week and a half, a 10% death rate is phenomenally virulent. If compared to the Black Death of the 14th century (which left a 30% to 60% reduction in population in major European cities after 2-4 years) Blood Veil seems positively apocalyptic. At this rate the city's infrastructure will collapse in a matter of weeks and the city would be largely uninhabitable in a matter of months. Between now and then chaos will reign as desperation sinks in. Even if the deaths drop off sharply soon the city will suffer a serious labor shortage that it may not be able to fully recover from for a generation or more. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the scenario; just trying to get a perspective on the situation. :)

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Think of the opportunities. We'll establish the rule of the iron fist and children's innocence and stomp down hard on any future Spider Kings that try to take advantage of the situation :)

But yes, any disease that can resist magical healing in fantasy worlds is by definition apocalyptic

Remove ads