Anyone using Onenote?

Elrith

First Post
I'm not really sure if this is right forum for this...I was looking at Microsoft's Onenote program, and was wondering if anyone is using it to organize their session notes...Any feedback (of the constructive sort), ideas, etc.

--Elrith

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
I use it all the time, alongside Open Office. OOo is used when i want layouting power. Onenote for Session notes that have to be stored hierarchically, and for hyperlinking between documents. I inserted the scanned high-res maps for the complete Untermountain Dungeon and wrote hyperlinked room numbers over the real numbers, that led you to a description site with a click.

One thing where onenote really shines is ripping stuff out of other stuff. Dragon article with interesting monster: a) rip it out with Windowskey+s, insert separate page, write into page name: "Monster Name / Level / Function / XP" Thats it. I do that casually, and i´ve already assembled an awesome amount of stuff.

Here´s a picture:

Unbenanntes%20Bild.png

Baumi

Adventurer
It's awesome, I use it for RPG Sessions, for Work and for Home. The Search is great (it searches even Pictures), it has Tablet-PC functionality, the automatic Synchronisation is cool (USB-Stick, Network, etc).

Also I love the feature that it really works like a intelligent notebooks .. so I can write wherever I want and then drag and drop everything around to my liking...

Masquerade

First Post
I loved OneNote for DMing back when I used a Windows laptop. It was great for tracking the development of many plot hooks using separate pages.

Since I switched to a MacBook, I've used Google Docs. Despite its limitations relative to OneNote, I like being able to access my notes from anywhere online.

Mercule

Adventurer
OneNote is what I use for all my campaign planning -- except mapping.

I'm sure I haven't even scratched the surface of what it can do, but it's still awesome.

Merkuri

Explorer
I started using OneNote at work becuase the IT department had pre-installed it on my PC and I was curious, but once I started using it I just fell in love. I actually bought Office 2007 for my home PC, mostly so that I'd have the latest OneNote and would be able to use it for my personal stuff (including D&D). I usually don't feel so strongly about Microsoft products, but I really feel like they got it right with this one. My only complaint is that there isn't a scripting engine behind it, so I can't make macros. (If anybody knows how to do any sort of scripting/macros in OneNote please please please let me know about it. It would make OneNote 100% better, possibly becoming the awesomest program I've ever used. ;))

I have a notebook for ideas, so that any time something strikes me I file it away for later. I have another notebook for the campaign I'm playing in where I keep track of things like how many arrows I shot last session and my current hit points (I play online, so I'm already in front of a computer when I play). And I really like the ability to move things around whenever I need to. For example, I started with just one notebook for everything D&D, then I split it up into two, one for my player-related stuff and one for my DM-related stuff.

FalcWP

Explorer
I love OneNote. Used it a ton for school, but I've also used it a lot for D&D. I've found it's great for both plotting out a campaign and working on campaign setting ideas.

At last, I can notebooks full of abandoned ideas... that are digital! It's a dream come true ;)

Wonka

First Post
I had never heard of this program before. Then I found this thread and saw its awesomeness. My mother has a copy of Office 2007 she never used because she got another copy from work, long story short I made her extra copy my own and am FLOORED with how awesome this program is to use. I dont know how I got by without it before! Thanks for the heads up this guys! Now to move my oodles and oodles of notes in various files into ONE easy place to find them.

edit: one quick question, does anyone know of a template or something that I can add to put char sheets for my players into onenote? Would be nice to be able to have that for updating and the like. Just curious :)

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases