New Discussion Thread

hafrogman

Adventurer
Otherwise, if one's character keeps adventuring in the wilderness or his dms for some reason don't implement shops of some sort, he might as well melt his gold and make a statue of it....

. . .

:blush: What if I WANT to erect a giant golden statue of myself in Daunton's town square? :blush:

covaithe

Explorer
Go ahead, put up your golden statue. I don't guarantee it will still be there in the morning. :whistles innocently: ;)

But seriously...

I think the important question is, who is going to want to know / have a record that you bought something? The judges will, next time you level up and submit your character. And your DM will, to make sure that you actually paid for that Staff of Smiting +5 that you whip out against his BBEG. I can't think who else would care.

Thus, I think that while not on adventure, you should be able to buy whatever you like, so long as you record it properly on your character sheet. While on adventure, of course, you should get your DM's permission to buy things. And still record them on your character sheet.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Thus, I think that while not on adventure, you should be able to buy whatever you like, so long as you record it properly on your character sheet. While on adventure, of course, you should get your DM's permission to buy things. And still record them on your character sheet.
That's pretty much LEB/LEW's way of doing things. Now, you may/may not wish to (during character vetting) make sure nothing too odd comes up (I bought an island!), but I believe we voted that anything in the PHB is fair game buying-wise.

hafrogman

Adventurer
I guess the difference between L4W and LEW/LEB is that now everything is in the PHB.

Do we want everything to be available direct from Daunton, from potions of healing to Holy Avengers?

And, another thought that came to mind when considering the buying and selling of magical items is character to character trading, which would a) have the potential to throw the economy out of whack, and b) be difficult to track, I imagine.

We might consider a gp limit for Daunton. But it's supposed to be a fairly affluent town, so it might be a quite large limit, and therefore not come up for a while. It's more of a flavor thing than anything else. If you want something rare and expensive, you shouldn't necessarily be held back, but perhaps the item's aquisition could be a small quest, rather than a step out to the corner store.

But I do think that player item trading should be nixed outside of adventures. On the isle, all trading must be done through liscensed magical item salesmen who enforce the 1/5 values.

Atanatotatos

First Post
Let's just put a limit to the level of the items available in Daunton (to cut off avengers or vorpal, say)... though... exchange of items prohibited? That seems a bit unnatural... also, it can obviously be done during adventures so... It should be prohibited between characters of the same player, of course, though. But if I know the old friend of mine (in-game) has an axe I want, and he likes my sword, why shouldn't we be able to trade them?

renau1g

First Post
I think that it works against the 1/5 value idea, if you were to sell that sword of yours you'd only get 1/5 of the price, but if you trade it you get 100%. (not saying I 100% agree with it, but that's my thinking of the rationale)

garyh

First Post
I guess the difference between L4W and LEW/LEB is that now everything is in the PHB.

Do we want everything to be available direct from Daunton, from potions of healing to Holy Avengers?

And, another thought that came to mind when considering the buying and selling of magical items is character to character trading, which would a) have the potential to throw the economy out of whack, and b) be difficult to track, I imagine.

We might consider a gp limit for Daunton. But it's supposed to be a fairly affluent town, so it might be a quite large limit, and therefore not come up for a while. It's more of a flavor thing than anything else. If you want something rare and expensive, you shouldn't necessarily be held back, but perhaps the item's aquisition could be a small quest, rather than a step out to the corner store.

But I do think that player item trading should be nixed outside of adventures. On the isle, all trading must be done through liscensed magical item salesmen who enforce the 1/5 values.

I think that at some point, we'll probably set up new central locations. Maybe for Paragon and Epic tiers, you travel somewhere far away / on another plane that has tougher monsters, better equipment, and another very popular tavern. :) That's a long ways off, of course.

I personally think item trading should be allowed (but not between multiple PC's of the same player). I just can't justify some artificial reason to restrict it. But then again, in 4e, the default approach is specifically tailored treasure for the PC's, so I don't see a lot of unwanted items hanging around outside of stuff you've outgrown/replaced.

Any LEW/LEB veterans who can comment on how item trading works (or doesn't) in those games?

Dunamin

First Post
How about this as a loose guide?

Heroic tier items can be purchased with no hassle in Daunton and most Proximates.

Paragon tier items can be commisioned from a major city on the shifting seas though you may have to travel to a Near Land. The process might take some days (no more than a week in total for all the items) and the PC will thus be unable to respond to comparably time-restrained adventuring.

Epic tier items can be commisioned from legendary crafters though you may have to travel to a Far Land or other plane. The process might take some weeks (no more than a month in total for all the items) and the PC will thus be unable to respond to comparably time-restrained adventuring.

Of course, just about any item can be made in an hour with the Enchant Item Ritual (if you can provide the required ritualist level and component cost).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases